Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Name This Rash
Cradle2crayons 05:48 PM 05-16-2013
Name this rash...

History::::: Tuesday afternoon I cut grass. It's a weekly thing nothing new. A bath time Tuesday night upon tick check I found a deer tick about an inch under his belly button and another on his right testicle.

Wednesday the rash started. He feels great. No fever. The rash on his face is hot and raised... And his face his very swollen. Benadryl does nothing. Nobody else is sick.

Today I gave him an epi shot because the boy is allergic to everything that stings except bees and he doesn't always tell me if something stings him.

I also gave him Zyrtec yesterday and today.

Where the tick under his belly button was is a papule but no rash. However he has a rash on his trunk and his genitals and a bump where the tick was on his testicle.

The face looks like fifths disease to me but he's had no exposure, nobody else is sick.

He's not eaten anything different or been exposed to anything different

He's not allergic to poison oak. Or ivy or sumac.
Attached: image.jpg (65.4 KB) 
Cradle2crayons 05:49 PM 05-16-2013
And before someone flames me, this is my son so I don't need permission to post his picture here lol
rmc20021 06:28 PM 05-16-2013
Has he eaten anything acidic...such as ketchup? I have a boy who when he has something like that he will get a rash all around his mouth...not nearly that severe but he usually doesn't get it that spread out onto his face, usually about 2 inches all the way around his mouth if I don't clean it quickly enough.
Crystal 06:31 PM 05-16-2013
Hmmmm....I don't know but I would certainly contact his pediatrician.

I hope it passes soon!
Kaddidle Care 06:33 PM 05-16-2013
Going from photos on the net I'd say Fifth Disease too. He sure looks happy anyway.
Cradle2crayons 07:02 PM 05-16-2013
We're at the Er. The ped was closed today and the rash has spread down his arms and legs and flanks.

Yes fifths was the first thing that came to mind but since he's had no exposure I wasn't sure.

Also the ticks made me unsure.

This is my boy who has only been sick twice in his entire almost five years.

BUT with him being allergic to everything that stings or bites and his face swelling so much off and on.... I wanted to be sure.

I'll let y'all know when I know something.
Cradle2crayons 10:23 PM 05-16-2013
Well we are home and I know nothing more now than I did before lol.

The doc did NOT think its fifths

The doc doesn't know what he reacted to but gave him steroids and said to keep doing the Benadryl and Zyrtec.

Then she told me that when he goes outside to wear long sleeve pants and shirts.... Um sure in the 100 degree weather ok lol

So basically I have no clue he's just my allergic boy lol... But hopefully the steroids will do the trick...he has to take them for five more days.

Will let y'all know how he's doing tomorrow
MamaBearCanada 04:08 AM 05-17-2013
Did they check him for Lyme's disease?

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/signs_symptoms/index.html

The rash might not take on bullseye appearance til it starts to clear.
SilverSabre25 04:18 AM 05-17-2013
Lyme is a possibility, and serious if untreated. Though i thought it took longer for a rash to show. When dealing with deer ticks, you should always save them...just in case, since they are the main lyme carriers. of course, i thought it took a long bite or certain conditions to transmit, but worth a check.

For all his allergies, you might consider looking into riots allergies, and diet changes to clear the rest up. Sounds like something cause his immune stem to overreact to stuff, and that's often the result of undiagnosed food allergies.
daycarediva 04:34 AM 05-17-2013
I have no idea, but he is a cutie! Hope he feels better soon!!!
Solandia 05:48 AM 05-17-2013
Hmmm. Doesn't sound like fifths. However, only like a third of kids that have fifths ever show a rash. Exposure is always a possibility.

Red &raised makes me think of allergic reaction or strep rash (like, instead of strep throat, get a rash...not the skin infection). With it being hot &raised would lean me towards allergic reaction. My teen had a reaction like your son after using a perfumed lotion. She hadn't reacted before, but it was in the height a allergy season, so she reacted violently to something she normally tolerates.

He is a cutie
DomsMom 06:07 AM 05-17-2013
When my daughter was 3 she had a raised red rash that turned out to be scarletina. She had no fever which was crazy weird and seemed to feel perfectly fine. The Dr. was flabbergasted that there was no fever. I can't remember where the rash started but it eventually covered most of her body.
Cradle2crayons 10:50 AM 05-17-2013
The ticks weren't on him for more than six hours so its not protocol to test for tick born illnesses so she refused.

He doesn't have any food allergies just allergies to venoms like ants, wasps, hornets, etc. except bumble bees lol.

After the steroids last night, he is quite a bit better.

The rashes are still there but receding.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. Sometimes he reacts and we just don't know what stung, bit, etc.

The doc did say that some people react to the saliva from a tick. So that's the thought on this episode.
youretooloud 10:56 AM 05-17-2013
Looks like fifths.

Fifths gets better, then worse, then better, then worse. Heat and water seems to make it angry.

Usually fifths will also show up on the legs, and arms too. But, it's most obvious on the cheeks.
canadiancare 10:57 AM 05-17-2013
My middle son is very allergic to the sun and he would break out like that.
Cradle2crayons 11:17 AM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Looks like fifths.

Fifths gets better, then worse, then better, then worse. Heat and water seems to make it angry.

Usually fifths will also show up on the legs, and arms too. But, it's most obvious on the cheeks.
Heat doesn't affect this rash. And it's weird but the rash in his face looks different an the rash on the rest of his body.
Cradle2crayons 01:30 PM 05-18-2013
Oh and as an added bonus, at the Er the nurse gave us some great things to add to our doctor kit. A hospital gown, two kid blood pressure cuffs, some extra small gloves, and oxygen mask, and some other things.

The kids were very excited.

Day three of steroids and he is almost cleared up. Still has the rash on the face but its much lighter. The sporadic body rashes are smaller too.

He still feels great and is having no side effects of the steroids.
Kaddidle Care 02:05 PM 05-18-2013
I know it sounds weird but did they check him for strep? My son had Scarletina and it was just the weirdest rash ever.

My son had been ill and in a red sleeper all day. When I stripped him down for his bath he looked like the red coloring bled all over him. Especially in the groin area.

Either way - I'm so glad that it is going away but the pink cheeks are cute!
Cradle2crayons 02:10 PM 05-18-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I know it sounds weird but did they check him for strep? My son had Scarletina and it was just the weirdest rash ever.

My son had been ill and in a red sleeper all day. When I stripped him down for his bath he looked like the red coloring bled all over him. Especially in the groin area.

Either way - I'm so glad that it is going away but the pink cheeks are cute!
No they didn't check him for strep. Because he is almost five and he's only been actually sick once in his life. He's never had an ear infection or anything. And nobody else has been sick. He's had no fever. And the rash seemed to be connected to the ticks.
itlw8 03:04 PM 05-18-2013
I am betting the tic and they are BAD this year... long loose cotton pants and shirt and roll the off tucked in at the ankles also...

treat your yard for ticks to give him a safe zone to play it will help with chiggers also.

new allergies can pop up at anytime. I think you are suppose dto use light colored clothes so you can spot the tick on the clothes.
Michael 05:07 PM 05-18-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
Has he eaten anything acidic...such as ketchup? I have a boy who when he has something like that he will get a rash all around his mouth...not nearly that severe but he usually doesn't get it that spread out onto his face, usually about 2 inches all the way around his mouth if I don't clean it quickly enough.
Looks like he ate something that he was allergic to. What was he wearing on his face; chocolate, marinara sauce?
countrymom 05:35 PM 05-18-2013
since it looks external its probably something he touched (could be grass too) and it spread all over his body and face. I don't think its ticks. could he have been playing with bubbles or in a sand box.
Cradle2crayons 05:56 PM 05-18-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
since it looks external its probably something he touched (could be grass too) and it spread all over his body and face. I don't think its ticks. could he have been playing with bubbles or in a sand box.
He plays with bubbles and sand every day lol...and wears ketchup, chocolate etc too lol.

I'd have thought food allergies but where the ticks were reacted as well....

I'd have thought grass or environmental but we do nature hikes every day...through full woods....

We do spray our yard ... We have it done commercially.... However we don't own the hundreds of acres around us.... And I'm simply not going to limit my country kids to a limited area. We can't do long pants its 100 degrees here with 100%humidity... It's just not going to work that way.

We do tick checks twice a day and these weren't his first ticks of the season. The doc did say it wasn't the first time she had seen this in a child that was allergic to oer venom such as ants and wasps etc...

It makes sense...but I guess just unexpected. Food allergies are fairly out of the question I'm pretty sure.

I'm not too worried about the steroids as we have to do those about three times a year due to allergic reactions. Now that he's a little older its easier. He doesn't react to just ONE ant bite anymore like he used to. We're pretty good at keeping the area as free of ants and wasps etc as possible.

But I'm unable to keep the deer and sir ticks off my property. It's like a wildlife rescue out there. I can walk outside any given night and find a coon, possum, you name it.

My daughter was a sting allergic child too. But only with ants. And she grew out if it.

Thankfully we don't have chiggers or anything like that.

Dang... SMH tick spit allergy... I wonder if they make a medic alert bracelet for that??
countrymom 04:34 AM 05-20-2013
keep your grass cut really short, they hate short grass. spray your kids with deep woods too. Tics are a pain this year.
Cradle2crayons 04:45 AM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
keep your grass cut really short, they hate short grass. spray your kids with deep woods too. Tics are a pain this year.
Yes they seem to be worse this year than ever... But our weather here has been crazy as well so I wonder if that contributes
Tags:allergic reactions, rash, rash - face
Reply Up