Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Question Death in Family

Hello everyone,

My 1st time posting here and I need some help.
My mother passed away yesterday and I still opened the daycare today by having my assistant, former assistant, mother-in-law and husband help while I made the arrangements.
I don't have personal days in my contract but have decided to close 1 day next week for her service. The parents have already paid for that day so do I offer to credit them 1 day next month?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm so sorry for your loss

I would offer a credit.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:55 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagg8 View Post
Hello everyone,

My mother passed away yesterday and I still opened the daycare today by having my assistant, former assistant, mother-in-law and husband help while I made the arrangements.
I don't have personal days in my contract but have decided to close 1 day next week for her service. The parents have already paid for that day so do I offer to credit them 1 day next month?

Thanks
I'm sorry for your loss.

I would take as much time as you need and offer credit for days paid.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

First and foremost, I'm sorry for your loss. Time to focus on you and yours- the business will take care of itself.

As for the $/ time off issue: Take the time off you need and offer a credit for next pay period. I've had to close a couple of times for deaths of family members. I've never had a DCP have an issue.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveArmour View Post
First and foremost, I'm sorry for your loss. Time to focus on you and yours- the business will take care of itself.

As for the $/ time off issue: Take the time off you need and offer a credit for next pay period. I've had to close a couple of times for deaths of family members. I've never had a DCP have an issue.

Laurel
Old 10-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

I am sorry for your loss .

I had 2 deaths in the family last year which had us traveling back home . I had 1 family who was not understanding at all even though I only took a day or two each time . Do what you need for yourself and please put yourself first during this time .
Old 10-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

I would take the day of the service off and at least the day after. The day of the service will be so busy, you will want (I know I would) a quiet day after just for you and any people you want near you.

Think about YOU. Daycare parents will understand, or they won't but this life event is more important than their feelings. Crediting them towards next month is what I would day

Old 10-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

I am so sorry about your mother!

I was a nanny when my mother died and took two weeks off to fly back home and help with arrangements and see my dad. I didn't expect to be paid, but they paid me anyway and gave me an extra week of pay on top of it. The grandparents also gave me a $100 even though I didn't knwo them that well. Most people understand how difficult it can be to lose a family member and will not give you any grief. Just tell them you will credit any days on next pay period and take as MUCH time as you need. If possible, tale a whole week or more off. After the funeral and everything is done, you will need that time for yourself. It is very important that you put YOURSELF first and I am sure your dcps will understand and be more than willing to work with whatever days you need off.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Sorry for your loss. Take as much time as you need. Backups are handy. Maybe you can network with other area providers for backup care?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:15 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Sorry for your loss , take the time you need, and as others have stated, give them a credit .
Old 10-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

I agree with everyone else. Make some time for you somewhere in all this, you will need it.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your DCP will be more than understanding. Remember, parents are supposed to have a back up plan as well as, don't make that something else that you worry about. I'm not sure if it's possible but I would try to stagger the credits throughout the next two months depending on how your parents pay. If you're able to do that,you won't have to take a big hit all at once. My prayers are with you and your family!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

You do what you need to do to take care of YOU. I am sorry that your mother is no longer here with you.

If you don't have anything into your contract, then I would write up an email and letter and send it out to all of the families. Let them know that you will be closed on this day and that they will need to be responsible for arranging their own back up care on this day.

I would not feel bad about it for one minute. IF anyone gives you a bad time about it, I would rethink that those are the right people you want in your program.

Moving forward, put something in your contract that gives you some time off. WE are not robots and we need a break just like anyone else does.

hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family...
Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words!
Thank goodness I'm surrounded with a loving family and friends.
I will be sending an email to the Friday parents telling them I will credit them for the day.
I have the weekend to rest, so I will be reopening on Monday, I want to stay busy.
Again, thank you everyone for supporting me in this difficult time.
God Bless
Gilda
Old 10-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Im so sorry for your loss. My dad just passed last sunday, and the best advise i can give is close until services are over!! and just give credits! I thought staying busy would be best but i was so exhausted it just wasnt worth it! Take care of you and your family right now hugs to you
Old 10-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
You do what you need to do to take care of YOU. I am sorry that your mother is no longer here with you.

If you don't have anything into your contract, then I would write up an email and letter and send it out to all of the families. Let them know that you will be closed on this day and that they will need to be responsible for arranging their own back up care on this day.

I would not feel bad about it for one minute. IF anyone gives you a bad time about it, I would rethink that those are the right people you want in your program.

Moving forward, put something in your contract that gives you some time off. WE are not robots and we need a break just like anyone else does.

hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family...
Exactly! When my brother in law passed away suddenly 2 years ago, I did not care who was mad. I took what I needed. Your family is more important. My thoughts are with you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildagg8 View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Take time for you.....so sorry...I lost my dad 13 years ago this November and it still hurts. But someone told me when he died that I could one day look back and smile at the memories. At the time, all I could do was cry, but time has a way of healing and this person was right, I can now smile at the memories.

I have in my contract that ms.xxxx will close for emergency days, sometimes without notice...i.e. death, illness in family, no water/electricity, etc.... My clients pay 52 weeks a year regardless. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

Dcfs come and go, you only had one mom. Take what you need and take care of yourself. I'm sorry for your loss.

Tags
death - family member