Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Crafts: What Do You Do?

Hey guys!

So I've been up and running since June. This whole time, I've been saving all the childrens artwork and crafts to put in a "yearbook" binder in page protectors. Also maybe some scrapbook paper with pictures throughout the year. These would be sent home before xmas break as a gift to the parents.

Now I'm feeling as its cheesy. Or weird? Do the parents want the crafts and artwork at the time the kids make it? I wonder this because we madecute footprint turkeys last week, but parents won't see it really or have it until xmas break, LOL!

Normally I hang up the artwork on a string going from wall end to wall end and put it away once it starts making its way to the back and more new go in front.

What do you do??
Old 11-30-2015, 06:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

I send whatever art or crafts the kids do home every day.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

I typically send it home as we go. Right now the exception is the Christmas ornaments they are painting. They are each painting two today (except kids who were here yesterday and not today they did theirs then). One will go home right before Christmas, and the other I will keep. Their names and the date on on the back.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
I send whatever art or crafts the kids do home every day.
I do this as well, unless the child chooses to put it up on the wall, then I send home at the end of the month
Old 11-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think it's a cute idea. Just because they don't have it by Thanksgiving doesn't mean it's not worth anything.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

I send home as we go. For my own kids I end up throwing it away cus I am not a sentimental person. ok I have some guilt but SO MUCH ART.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
I send home as we go. For my own kids I end up throwing it away cus I am not a sentimental person. ok I have some guilt but SO MUCH ART.
I feel bad, but if I kept every scrap of paper that my 5 year old drew on, we would need a bigger house! I keep her really good ones in a binder.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Ha ha, this is me, too. I have 4 kids and a smaller house. Yeah, lost the sentiment a LONG time and MANY pieces of artwork ago. I have a few tucked away but that is it.

As far as daycare goes, I hang it for a few days in the playroom and then send home. I am process oriented (no crafts) and a lot of it doesn't even make it home.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:12 AM
Daycare.com Member

I send most art work home daily but I am making a school year binder for each child that I will send home in May. I do specific handprint, prek tracing activities and journal a few sentences next to a picture of the child each month. I throw out most art my kids make but I would keep a compilation like this - hope the parents like it, this the first year I am trying it.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Yup. I now take pictures of their art, and then I put them in a photo book when I have a bunch.

I send home art as we go, and crafts the last day the child will attend before the holiday break. Eg. Wed I sent home a bag the kids decorated as a turkey, with their thanksgiving crafts inside.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
So think about what a cool idea the binder would be then. Already organized for you and easy storage. I would love it, OP!
Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

I hang it up for about two weeks and then send it home.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:23 AM
Day Care Owner

I had a foster boy that had a book of art work that was given to his mom during p/t conference at school. Everyday he would day draw or scribble on page and they would ask him about it writing down what it was on the page, stick it in the folder. His mom was so thrilled to get it, she would not put it down.

Tags
christmas crafts, crafts, ornaments