Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default How Old Is Too Old for a Bottle?

Dcg turns 3 on Jan 3. I have long suspected that she still drinks bottles, but wasn't sure. Well, she came in early today and had a bottle. Should I say anything? I picked the bottle up after she left it sitting there and put it in a cup.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

That's definitely too old. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about her getting it at home - but I would definitely tell her that you don't allow bottles at your own home.

My pediatrician started bugging me about my kid being on bottles at around 18 months, I think it's normal to switch to sippies and cup training around 12? Don't quote me though.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
That's definitely too old. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about her getting it at home - but I would definitely tell her that you don't allow bottles at your own home.

My pediatrician started bugging me about my kid being on bottles at around 18 months, I think it's normal to switch to sippies and cup training around 12? Don't quote me though.
I agree, 1 year old.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm View Post
Dcg turns 3 on Jan 3. I have long suspected that she still drinks bottles, but wasn't sure. Well, she came in early today and had a bottle. Should I say anything? I picked the bottle up after she left it sitting there and put it in a cup.
I think age one is a good age to stop BUT I wouldn't say anything. It is the parents decision what they do at home. I'd just do what you did. Pour the milk into a cup and send the bottle home.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I think age one is a good age to stop BUT I wouldn't say anything. It is the parents decision what they do at home. I'd just do what you did. Pour the milk into a cup and send the bottle home.
For sure. Just daycare policy
Old 12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

My pediatrician says the bottle needs to be gone by 15 months. I've not seen many parents who actually get rid of it by then. I have a 2 year old here who has been drinking from a sippy since 12 months and still has a bottle at home.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

OMG 3 yrs old. wow

cut off is 12 months.

BUT I don't get my nose into what DCP do at home. If they want to bottle feed and reck the child's teeth, then that is on them. As long as it is not affecting the child while in your care, I would just carry on.

I had one that was 2 still on a bottle so they would not nap because they wanted a bottle. In this case, I told dcp no more bottle because I will NOT give any drinks after lunch time and will not give anyone in my program a bottle. I only take kids 18months and up.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

I took both my kids bottles at 12 months. I don't allow DCK to have bottles after 12 months here unless prescribed by a doctor. But my grandson is 2 and is still on a sippy that is really just a cup shaped bottle. When his mom drops him off I take it and give him one of my without that valve.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks everyone! I will just put it in a cup if she brings it again