Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Where Do You Store Your Shovels?

I had an inspection, and was told that my snow shovel needs to be out of the reach of the children. She suggested I hang it on the side of the house with the handle down and the head up. I can just picture someone pulling it off of there and getting hit with the shovel in the head!

That seems more dangerous to me than leaning it against the house on the porch. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Daycare.com Member

this is their big issue? Jeez

Mine are on a hook in the garage. Honestly otherwise short of a cabinet or high shelf I'm at a loss.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm View Post
I had an inspection, and was told that my snow shovel needs to be out of the reach of the children. She suggested I hang it on the side of the house with the handle down and the head up. I can just picture someone pulling it off of there and getting hit with the shovel in the head!

That seems more dangerous to me than leaning it against the house on the porch. Any other suggestions?
Mine is kept on my porch. Leaned up against the railing.

As far as I am concerned it IS out of reach of the children because children are never on my front porch without an adult.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

Honestly, I think I'll just throw them in the back of hubby's truck! Out of sight at least.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

Mine are hanging in the garage, except for a plastic one I keep on the deck for quick cleanup. I'm with you though. I'd think it more dangerous for the shovel to fall down and hit somebody.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I think I'll just throw them in the back of hubby's truck! Out of sight at least.
I mentioned this to my husband last night and he brought up a good point.... don't you have kid shovels for the kids?

Why can the kids have access to them but not yours?

I can totally see if you have the type that has a metal edge (sharp) or a metal shovel (heavy) but if you have the regular old plastic sidewalk shovels, they aren't much different than the ones I buy FOR the kids.

I have this for shoveling my sidewalk:

And a half dozen of these for the kids:

Other than height, there isn't much difference between the two.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have mine right by the road in case a dcp is feeling helpful. lol JK It's only happened once in all my 30+ yrs. of providing care, that I had any dcp offer to shovel anything for me. Even the dcds who picked up with plows on their trucks.
Anyways, I'll wait for the state to tell me to move it but mine is right outside my front door. Never even gave it a thought.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have a plastic one and a metal edged one. For the kids i have two plastic ones. I think i will ask her about the plastic one, its basically the same as what the kids play with.

I just wish we had a garage! Someday hopefully! After we pay off some debt, we plan on building a garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I mentioned this to my husband last night and he brought up a good point.... don't you have kid shovels for the kids?

Why can the kids have access to them but not yours?

I can totally see if you have the type that has a metal edge (sharp) or a metal shovel (heavy) but if you have the regular old plastic sidewalk shovels, they aren't much different than the ones I buy FOR the kids.

I have this for shoveling my sidewalk:

And a half dozen of these for the kids:

Other than height, there isn't much difference between the two.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I use the kid shovels to shovel. It sounds weird but I find them easier to handle! I keep a kid shovel leaning against my house.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Did you ask to see the reg?
Quote:

Old 12-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

laundrymom- I didn't ask to see the reg.
But, it does state in part of the regs that "Outdoor play spaces, including areas under decks must be free from safety hazards including, but not limited to:lawn mowers, TOOLS, propane, gasoline, building scraps and scrap metal."
Old 12-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Mine is kept on my porch. Leaned up against the railing.

As far as I am concerned it IS out of reach of the children because children are never on my front porch without an adult.
Mine too.

Did she show you that rule in the regulations?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
Mine too.

Did she show you that rule in the regulations?
She didn't, but it does state in the regs that no tools can be in outdoor play spaces, including under a deck. So i need to clarify if the front porch is considered a play space.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

Ahhh....A nice ambiguous rule open to individual interpretation.

Apparently "no tools" means no adult tools - they can have shovels in the sandbox, right? Probably no adult trowels or hand cultivators to garden with, because heaven knows that children can't be taught how to use a tool safely with supervision.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
Ahhh....A nice ambiguous rule open to individual interpretation.

Apparently "no tools" means no adult tools - they can have shovels in the sandbox, right? Probably no adult trowels or hand cultivators to garden with, because heaven knows that children can't be taught how to use a tool safely with supervision.
. All I buy for sandbox toys are garden trowels and rakes because they're durable and good quality.
Never had any issues.

Tags
shovels, snow shovel