Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are you watching the Olympics at daycare?
MsMe 01:34 PM 07-30-2012
We never have in years past but this morning my 7 DCB asked if we could turn it on instead of the moring show we watch as I greet families. I don't think I would have thougth of it on my own but they are loving it.

I left it on all morning (we never leave the tv on for more than one show) a they are watching nd dicussing the different sports, all while cheering wildly for USA!!! (every once and a while seeing a country with our highschool colors and cheering for our hometown too) we have a whole house to play so they come and go to the toy room every once an a while.

**dislclaimer**noone has been siting and watching tv all day. they go play for a while and coem and check back in. The opder kids went to the pool and the little napped like normal.

Are you watching the Olympics at your daycare? Do you have any Olympic themed events going on this week? I think I am going to have to throw soem together!! I have a very interested group
texascare 01:44 PM 07-30-2012
yes we are! We made Olympic necklaces today. Just cut up construction paper into strips and rolled into circles and taped them 1 by 1 through each other (like we did as kids at Christmas time with green and red construction paper) and the kids love them!
AnneCordelia 01:45 PM 07-30-2012
We love the Olympics!! We are eating British fare for the next fortnight. Sausage rolls on Friday. Shepherds pie today. We have the Olympics on the tv and we made our big Olympic rings today to display in the daycare room. I love it!
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 07-30-2012
I posted a picture of my daycare parents who are Olympians in another thread https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48452 and am definitely keeping tabs on their progress towards earning a medal!

I can't help but brag as I personally think it is awesome! VERY proud of them!
countrymom 02:06 PM 07-30-2012
yes we are, my kids are cheering everyone on. I think this is way better than tree house.
Jenniferdawn 02:07 PM 07-30-2012
That's really cool Blackcat! And yesiree, I am watching the Olympics here. I have a no tv policy but I told my dcp that goes out the window for the olympic for sure!
littlemissmuffet 02:54 PM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I posted a picture of my daycare parents who are Olympians in another thread https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48452 and am definitely keeping tabs on their progress towards earning a medal!

That's AWESOME, and definitely worth braggin about

We don't do TV at daycare ever, so the olympics are no exception. I know the kids have all been watching here and there at home though.
My3cents 03:16 PM 07-30-2012

How cool is that!!!
Blackcat31 03:18 PM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
That's AWESOME, and definitely worth braggin about

We don't do TV at daycare ever, so the olympics are no exception. I know the kids have all been watching here and there at home though.
We don't do TV here at all either, but for this occassion, it is approved
boysx5 04:27 PM 07-30-2012
Yes we have we made olympic torches with an ice cream cone fill with popcorn. Found it on pinterest
texascare 06:25 AM 07-31-2012
If anybody else has any Olympic ideas I would love to hear them! We don't usually watch TV either but I do love the Olympics.
texascare 06:30 AM 07-31-2012
http://www.stepbystepcc.com/olympic

I just found this. Looks like a few fun things to do!
MsMe 06:40 AM 07-31-2012

What sports(s) are they particitating in? Are they going to be on TV? That is SO cool!!! We are excited for our 'local' athlete Lolo Jones to run later this week. Shawn johnson is also from our area, but she is not competing this year
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 07-31-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
What sports(s) are they particitating in? Are they going to be on TV? That is SO cool!!! We are excited for our 'local' athlete Lolo Jones to run later this week. Shawn johnson is also from our area, but she is not competing this year
Both compete in shooting. They actually have a pretty cool story. Dad was on the verge of a gold medal in Greece and accidentally shot the wrong target ultimately losing the gold. Mom who competes for the Czech Republic went over and offered her condolances to him and they hit it off and have been a couple ever since.

Their daughter Julie, was born in the Czech Republic and they keep an apartment there and spend most summers there. They both compete in tons of other competitions throughout the year and so there home base is irrelevant since they seem to be on the go all the time. They try to compete at different times so that one of them can be home with their daughter. If not, then the dad's parents fly in and stay with her.

Their daughter is bi-lingual so that has been an awesome experience for not only the daycare kids but for me too! Dad speaks very little Czech but mom speaks to Julie ONLY in Czech. It is so cool to hear a little one talk so easily in two different languages.

Their matches are televised and I have them recorded since they are only 20 minutes long and also aired at the crack of dawn.....mostly between 3-5 a.m. so I record them and bring the rrecordings to daycare for the kids to watch!

On another very inspirational note, the dad has beat cancer too!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...qJL/story.html
Reply Up