Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice ASAP
JeepGirl6 06:57 PM 04-24-2013
We are moving in the next week so I am losing some of my current families that I have. I have been E-mailing a parent for care for her two children needing care for 4 days a week right down the street from our new home. I told her my rate which is $32 for a full day which is 8 hours, $4 an hour after the 8 hours. I charge $7 an hour for two children. She needs care for anywhere between 5 hours and 10.5 hours, which 10.5 hours would be $73.50 a day. The quote I gave her was too much so she asked if $60 would be okay but then she added their may be days she doesnt have to go to work until almost 11:30 and her husband will pick up at 4:30. I am just thinking that will be $35 for two children might not be worth it because thats taking up a spot for someone who would come full time, know what I mean? I was thinking about telling her $60 daily regardless if they come for 5 to 10.5 hours. Her one son will be starting kindergarten in August so he will only be here for a short period of time. I would ask her to stick to my daily rate of the $32 for a full day of 8 hours and $4 an hour after her older son will no longer need care......Any advice, what should I do? I need to email her back asap. Thanks
nannyde 07:10 PM 04-24-2013
If you offer 10.5 hrs for the same price as 5 just plan on them being there 10.5 hrs every day after the first week or so. It's a rare parent who wouldnt use all of the 52.5 hrs for the same price as 25. Doing a flat rate regardless of hours will land you with the max hrs. Once the older one goes to school they will expect the same rate of 30 for the 10.5 hrs. If you don't agree they will just find another new to the area provider who will.
LaLa1923 07:16 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If you offer 10.5 hrs for the same price as 5 just plan on them being there 10.5 hrs every day after the first week or so. It's a rare parent who wouldnt use all of the 52.5 hrs for the same price as 25. Doing a flat rate regardless of hours will land you with the max hrs. Once the older one goes to school they will expect the same rate of 30 for the 10.5 hrs. If you don't agree they will just find another new to the area provider who will.
How do you structure your payment?
cheerfuldom 07:31 PM 04-24-2013
I think the payment structure is extremely confusing for both you and the parent. Charge your full rate and assume the kids will be there the max hours like Nan said. If she doesnt want to pay your full time rate, keep looking for someone who is a better fit. The random coming and going is going to get old FAST, as is working for a discounted rate. I recommend no discounts, period. I think if you take this family, you are off to a frustrating situation by allowing two kids to come and go randomly and by negotiating rates....parents assume other policies are negotiable as well.
LaLa1923 07:32 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
We are moving in the next week so I am losing some of my current families that I have. I have been E-mailing a parent for care for her two children needing care for 4 days a week right down the street from our new home. I told her my rate which is $32 for a full day which is 8 hours, $4 an hour after the 8 hours. I charge $7 an hour for two children. She needs care for anywhere between 5 hours and 10.5 hours, which 10.5 hours would be $73.50 a day. The quote I gave her was too much so she asked if $60 would be okay but then she added their may be days she doesnt have to go to work until almost 11:30 and her husband will pick up at 4:30. I am just thinking that will be $35 for two children might not be worth it because thats taking up a spot for someone who would come full time, know what I mean? I was thinking about telling her $60 daily regardless if they come for 5 to 10.5 hours. Her one son will be starting kindergarten in August so he will only be here for a short period of time. I would ask her to stick to my daily rate of the $32 for a full day of 8 hours and $4 an hour after her older son will no longer need care......Any advice, what should I do? I need to email her back asap. Thanks
1. You could take them until you find replacements.

2. Not take them

I pesonally wouldn't cut any brakes. They will expect special.......

Your pricing structure is confusing......
When someone asks my prices I ask what hours they work. I set their contracted hours around that. If they need more hours ( occasionally ) I let them know the new price.
I don't break my price down by day unless they were drop-in.
Breaking it down and explaining everything to your parents is not necessary. It also leaves you wide open for unnecessary conversations and negotiations.

Good luck with your choice.
JeepGirl6 07:47 PM 04-24-2013
How do you come up with your price then? I have always done it by the day or hourly. Her hours range between 6:00am-4:30pm with the possibility of not having to be at work until 10:30 or 11:30 some days. If I can get on a structured rate it would be so much better. Thanks!
JeepGirl6 08:00 PM 04-24-2013
I am open to what any of you would charge in my situation How do you get your price?
LaLa1923 08:06 PM 04-24-2013
How do you come up with your price then? I have always done it by the day or hourly. Her hours range between 6:00am-4:30pm with the possibility of not having to be at work until 10:30 or 11:30 some days. If I can get on a structured rate it would be so much better. Thanks!
In the above case I would simply give her your weekly rate for all 5 days. You cannot find someone to cover the hours she choses not to use.

Heres mine- infant rate is $225 for 5 days, this is my base price.

DCM #1 works 7-3 , her contracted hours are 6:30-3:30. If she works over she pays $10 an hour. If she works over 32 mins that's still $10.

My full time rate is 3 days and up.

Telling the DCP your daily rate opens you up for no pay on a day they decide not to come.

In your case I would contract her for the hours she needs. 6:00-4:30, (if this also includes commuting).
I would then ask for a weekly schedule so you can plan your days a little better.
LaLa1923 08:14 PM 04-24-2013
I am open to what any of you would charge in my situation How do you get your price?
I based my prices on what the area is charging. I'm equal to a provider across the street.

Infants $200-$225

Toddlers ( potty trained) $175-$185

This is for up to 50 hours.

Anything over this or over contracted hours is overtime.
cheerfuldom 08:16 PM 04-24-2013
you do hourly and daily rates for every family? sounds exhausting.

I think a flat weekly rate OR contracted hours is the way to go.

For me, I have to have consistency with the kids here because I transport to school so I am not available all day every day. I have a flat weekly rate of $140 per child, regardless of attendance (I charge for holidays and vacation time and so the weekly rate does not vary) My business hours are 730 to 530. I have to know when a child will be dropped off and all my parents drop off consistently at the same time and by 9am. I offer part time to only one family at a time and charge $30 per day....again, same business hours, must have a consistent drop off and pickup time. I do not offer any care outside of my business hours. If a family is consistently late, they are asked to get it together or find new care.
JeepGirl6 02:44 AM 04-25-2013
My rate that I currently charge is $40 a day anything over 4 hours. Under 4 hours is $8 an hour but I rarely ever have a parent need me for under 4 hours because they all work full time. So my full timers that come 5 days a week pay $200 a week for child care. I charge by the day.

The rate that I gave above was my new rate I was going to charge to try to help my current families out with the commute to my new house since it is far for some of them. I figured it would save them anywhere between $4-6 depending on how long they are here.

How many of you have all your daycare parents on the same page for rate? The past two clients I got I gave them the new rate and then my old clients are still on the $40 a day so I feel bad some are paying more I guess??

For those of who who charge a weekly flat rate or contracted hours, how do you determine that rate? How do you decide on what to charge or break it down?

I still haven't emailed this parent back, unsure what to charge her.
LaLa1923 04:00 AM 04-25-2013
My rate that I currently charge is $40 a day anything over 4 hours. Under 4 hours is $8 an hour but I rarely ever have a parent need me for under 4 hours because they all work full time. So my full timers that come 5 days a week pay $200 a week for child care. I charge by the day.

The rate that I gave above was my new rate I was going to charge to try to help my current families out with the commute to my new house since it is far for some of them. I figured it would save them anywhere between $4-6 depending on how long they are here.

How many of you have all your daycare parents on the same page for rate? The past two clients I got I gave them the new rate and then my old clients are still on the $40 a day so I feel bad some are paying more I guess??

For those of who who charge a weekly flat rate or contracted hours, how do you determine that rate? How do you decide on what to charge or break it down?

I still haven't emailed this parent back, unsure what to charge her.

I explained above how I charge. I do contracted hours with a cap, over that is extra.

NO, not all of my families are the same....

DCM #1 that works 6:30-3:30 is given 9 hours a day, after that she's into overtime.

Dcm #2 is given 10 hrs a day, after that she's into overtime.

I would charge her your new rate unless you really need her than do what you feel is best.

I have done drop-in before, that is when I charge my daily rate. I made $80 for two kids for 4 hours, and that was actually a discount.
wdmmom 08:44 AM 04-25-2013
I would tell DCM that you need schedules 1 week ahead of time and that they must pay a full week ahead. Let her know going in that you offer a 4 week introductory period. If you see issues arise in that time, I'd seek another family.

I would also tell them that you are to be paid for 4 days per week and that 3 of those days must be at the full day rate. I would also tell her you are paid regardless of attendance and there's no switch-a-roos. The schedule is the schedule. No changes.
Mom&Provider 09:20 AM 04-25-2013
I wouldn't sell yourself short, it's a quick way to get burnt out and upset over this family. If you take the same pay regardless of hrs, as nannyde said, they will take all the hrs they can get at that rate! There will always be appointments, traffic etc. and they will likely use every excuse in the book until you become tired of such little pay for so many hrs.

If you do decide to offer her the rate you've suggested, I would put it into their contract. Make sure to include that it's X number of days at 10.5 hrs and X number of days at only 5 hrs per week. This way if things change or you notice they are sending their LO more then they agreed to, immediately write them up a new letter with new payment options based upon their changed hours.
MarinaVanessa 09:50 AM 04-25-2013
I personally charge a flat weekly rate for FT clients which has specific guidelines. For example, FT for me is 4 to 5 days a week regardless of what time the child is dropped off or picked up. I can't permanently fill a spot (or at least it is EXTREMELY difficult to do so) if a client only comes 4 days a week. Who's going to want a weekly spot for 1 day? So I charge clients needing 4 days the same as those needing 5 days and leave the 5th day open and only fill it with occasional drop-ins. If they need an extra day and want to come 5 days I'm fine with that, they are paying for the whole FT spot, they just have to let me know in advance so I can prepare for the day or cancel a drop-in if necessary. Also if a child comes 5 days a week but only for a few hours it is still hard for me to fill the remaining spot so even of they came 10am-3pm they would still pay the full FT rate ($165/week for me). FT also means no more than 10 hours each day and no more than 50 hours each week, if they need more hours than that I charge my drop-in rate per hour. FT is a flat weekly rate that is charged based on enrollment not attendance (I don't give discounts for days that they are absent due to being sick, DR appointments etc).

For PT clients I charge a flat weekly fee also that is based on the number of days and pick-up times that a child needs (similar to Nannyde). I figure out what I would charge for a full day, in my case $40 per day (10 hours), and then reduce the amount by $2 for every half hour pickup earlier than 6pm. For example:
3:00 p.m. departure $28.00 per day
3:30 p.m. departure $30.00 per day
4:00 p.m. departure $32.00 per day
4:30 p.m. departure $34.00 per day
5:00 p.m. departure $36.00 per day
5:30 p.m. departure $38.00 per day
6:00 p.m. departure $40.00 per day

So a client needign the following schedule would pay the following rates...
Monday.........8-6pm $40.00
Wednesday..10-3pm $28.00
Friday...........9-5pm $36.00
Total...............$104.00/week

The client will pay this weekly fee and keep the same schedule and hours every week. Can't change days and no discounts if they are absent on one of their days.

I also offer drop-in to clients with the understanding that the spot is not guaranteed and that my FT and PT clients take priority. These clients have to call me to see if I am available and I only reserve the day for them if they pay for it in advance, they can also call the day of to make sure I still have the opening and if I do they can pay for the full amount at drop-off. Drop-in clients pay only for the days or hours that they need. I charge $45 per day for a full day (10 hours) or $6 per hour if they need less than 8 hours (with a 4 hour minimum).

That's just one way to charge, hope it gives you another idea of what you can do.

Whatever you choose to do PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE require that clients pay you in advance, as in the client will pay you this Friday or at drop-off on Monday for that week 4/29-5/3. If they don't have payment don't let the child stay and charge a late payment fee. This will reduce the chance of a client owing you money.

Make sure to have a contract and policies. It will save you a headache later.
Reply Up