Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>$150/Week Up Scaled Daycare Center?
Unregistered 06:27 PM 03-10-2015
A friend just told me of a newly open daycare in Manassas, Virginia is running a 6 months promotion for $150 and $25 increase after a year. I called there and it is so. Off Mathis Avenue, Manassas, VA. It used to be a kindercare in there before.
Wow!
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
A friend just told me of a newly open daycare in Manassas, Virginia is running a 6 months promotion for $150 and $25 increase after a year. I called there and it is so. Off Mathis Avenue, Manassas, VA. It used to be a kindercare in there before.
Wow!

Not understanding what the issue is....

As a newly opened business I would absolutely run a promotional special to get new enrollees in and have my spaces filled to capacity.

It's a nice way to spread the word and get families interested.

The increase after a year is also a great way to keep families long term AND let them know ahead of time what to expect as far as rate increases...

I am not understanding the "Wow!" reaction? What am I missing?
Laurel 07:40 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

As a newly opened business I would absolutely run a promotional special to get new enrollees in and have my spaces filled to capacity.

The increase after a year is also a great way to keep families long term AND let them know ahead of time what to expect as far as rate increases...

I was thinking that maybe it was a super cheap rate for that area even with the $25 added on. $150 here in S. Florida for home daycare was what I charged but that was the going rate. I think Massachusetts has a very high cost of living. It seemed so when we traveled there once but that was years and years ago.

Laurel
LysesKids 08:22 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It is extremely low rates for that area... Manassas is less than an hour from Washington DC and that rate (150-175) is what we get down here in TN for daycare centers; Centers there are in the 225-300 week range easy. I was paying 150 week per kid 25 years ago up there
LysesKids 08:27 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I was thinking that maybe it was a super cheap rate for that area even with the $25 added on. $150 here in S. Florida for home daycare was what I charged but that was the going rate. I think Massachusetts has a very high cost of living. It seemed so when we traveled there once but that was years and years ago.

Laurel
The center is in Manassas VA, not Massachusettes lol; it's just outside of Washington DC; as someone who grew up about an hour from there, the rates are still way too low for that area
Blackcat31 09:43 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
It is extremely low rates for that area... Manassas is less than an hour from Washington DC and that rate (150-175) is what we get down here in TN for daycare centers; Centers there are in the 225-300 week range easy. I was paying 150 week per kid 25 years ago up there
That's what I figured too but still don't understand the issue.

Who cares? People charge all sorts of rates that are different for different reasons and if it means taking a loss (even a big one) just to get your business up and running, I see no issues with it.

I don't view other providers/daycares as competition. Even if they are doing it for free. There is a right and wrong fit for everyone.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:00 AM 03-11-2015
I think it's a thinly-veiled attempt at posting an ad here.
e.j. 12:00 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
That's what I thought when I read it, too, and then I thought, "When did I become so jaded?!" Glad it wasn't just me!
daycarediva 11:24 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
That's what I thought when I read it, too, and then I thought, "When did I become so jaded?!" Glad it wasn't just me!
me too. LOL! Jaded!
lblanke 08:22 PM 03-15-2015
Be careful what you are getting if it is less expensive than it should be. I looked at a center here for my 3 yo (allowed ratio 9 kids to 1 teacher in our state). The inexpensive daycare had 13 kids per teacher, which they were able to do by adding two 5 year olds to the mix. In addition, they had 1 hour of movie time in the morning, 1 hour of movie time in the afternoon, and a 2 hour nap (no complaint there, I want her to take a long nap).
Laurel 08:35 AM 03-16-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
The center is in Manassas VA, not Massachusettes lol; it's just outside of Washington DC; as someone who grew up about an hour from there, the rates are still way too low for that area
Oh duh, thanks! I guess I just saw all the s's and Massachusetts popped into my head.

Laurel
AmyKidsCo 09:26 AM 03-16-2015
That's time wasted. It's kind of a long commute from WI, and most likely from where most of us are located too.
Unregistered 08:17 AM 04-28-2015
Yep.

~KidGrind
Reply Up