Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Formula fed but still low iron?
BumbleBee 06:05 PM 03-27-2018
Baby drinks iron fortified formula but has low iron levels. Anybody ever heard of this before? Seems odd to me. I don't doubt the test results but wondering if it's not a matter of inadequate intake but something else.
Unregistered 08:03 PM 03-27-2018
Has the baby's lead level been checked? I think lead causes anemia.
daycarediva 03:24 AM 03-28-2018
It could be vitamin D levels and/or malabsorbtion.

I have severe anemia, I take two different types of iron, vitamin B-12 injections, and a multivitamin for it. My doctor stays current, and has said he has found a correlation between vitamin D and low iron. Because of that, I make sure to get outside in the sun daily for as long as possible. I also have a full spectrum lamp in our living room. Ever since making that switch, I have seen a difference in not only my lab numbers, but my energy level. The thought process is that vitD helps with iron absorption.

I had a little dude in my care last year with severe anemia, to the point his nails were curling out. His was caused by too much milk/not enough food. They switched to toddler formula before he started with me- didn't help. We got him outside regularly, and in a few weeks saw an improvement.

Sunshine!
Ariana 09:49 AM 03-28-2018
If he is dairy intolerant it can also affect absorption. Are there any other issues besides low iron?
Tags:intrinsic factor, pernicious anemia
Reply Up