Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time Only?
erinalexmom 04:03 AM 12-07-2011
Ok all of my part timers are very reliable. They all come pretty much everytime they say they will. My best friend of 15 years is one of the moms. Most of them do extra favors for me.For example paying me on some unpaid holidays. Bringing food and supplies,ect. Very kind to me love my daycare and are happy thier kids are with me.
I have 3 full timers. I would like to eliminate 2 of them. (I know which 2 I want gone) I get paid more "per day" for part-timers. Plus I have figured it out and one day a week I would only have 1 kid! This would be great! That child is close to my sons age and my son and him could play while I get some things done while my daughter is in school.
Yesterday my daughter had pink eye. My FIL was mad cause he had to go pick her up cause I couldnt get out with all the kids. Then there is all the other stuff my kids are involved in that I would be able to participate in more of thier lives if I only had part-timers. Plus it sounds wierd but in some ways I might "save" $ because I can have more time to cook and cut coupons (used to be an extreme couponer when I was a SAHM, and grew a garden, and canned our own food,ect)
So I am wanting to know if any of you only do part time-by choice? Are you glad you made that decision?
Cat Herder 04:53 AM 12-07-2011
In my opinion it sounds like the perfect fit for you.

There is a HUGE market for that here. If I was younger I would go for it again, myself. About 80% of the calls I get now are begging for part-time.

It is just alot more work, IMHO, to have so many different folks coming in and out. New issues, repetitive transitioning, seemingly non-stop illness, menus for varying ages/allergies, more supplies/cubbies/files, postponing/rescheduling curriculum projects...etc. It wears me down mentally...

I adjust the direction of my daycare to suit the direction of my life. I bet you find that works for you, too. Adapt, adapt, adapt...
morgan24 05:19 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Ok all of my part timers are very reliable. They all come pretty much everytime they say they will. My best friend of 15 years is one of the moms. Most of them do extra favors for me.For example paying me on some unpaid holidays. Bringing food and supplies,ect. Very kind to me love my daycare and are happy thier kids are with me.
I have 3 full timers. I would like to eliminate 2 of them. (I know which 2 I want gone) I get paid more "per day" for part-timers. Plus I have figured it out and one day a week I would only have 1 kid! This would be great! That child is close to my sons age and my son and him could play while I get some things done while my daughter is in school.
Yesterday my daughter had pink eye. My FIL was mad cause he had to go pick her up cause I couldnt get out with all the kids. Then there is all the other stuff my kids are involved in that I would be able to participate in more of thier lives if I only had part-timers. Plus it sounds wierd but in some ways I might "save" $ because I can have more time to cook and cut coupons (used to be an extreme couponer when I was a SAHM, and grew a garden, and canned our own food,ect)
So I am wanting to know if any of you only do part time-by choice? Are you glad you made that decision?
I'm doing all part time now. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. For 15 years I had all full time and always had 6. If one left they were replace right away. Now with the way the economy is the only calls I get are for part time. I'm actually enjoying it. I have 3 on Mondays, 4 on Tuesday, 2 on Wed. and 4 on Thurs. then I have Fridays off until school get outs. Then I have 2 that come after school. They are my least favorite age to take but that is working out okay for now, but if younger part time or full time comes along they will go.
lil angels 05:30 AM 12-07-2011
I am in the same boat as you are. I have a few full time and the rest are part time. Now I ask when people call about pt care what days they need and if I can choose I have been scheduling everyone mon- thurs as much as I can and right now I only normally have 2 on Fridays and 2 that get off the bus. It is so nice I can get my house all clean and laundry done so I can have a nice weekend. with not much to do unless I want to. I would go all part time but don't want to kick people that I have already out. The calls have no been comin in like they used to.
erinalexmom 05:50 AM 12-07-2011
I really need to start looking into it. I think that I will start paying off some bills with my final goal being to eventually be all part time.That would be awsome! I basically want to be a SAHM who keeps a few kids for "extra cash"
KWIM? I just have to find a way to afford that!
cheerfuldom 05:55 AM 12-07-2011
It sounds like this could work for you. You could always re-interview for full timers in the future if you have too.
mismatchedsocks 06:00 AM 12-07-2011
I dont have strictly parttimers, but a majority of my families are parttime. They have set amount they pay per week for their set days. Just like a fulltime family. I have one family who comes m,th,f with two girls then on tu, and w i have a family who comes with 2 boys. They never over lap and I get paid more for them then just two regular fulltime spots.

I would love a day off, and today is as close as I will come with that with 5 here.
bice99 07:19 AM 12-07-2011
I don't work Wednesdays I used to but I had a 4 month period when I didn't have anyone on that day and loved it. Then I juggled 3 PT infants the following year, in addition to my 4 other toddler/preschoolers. So when a new family calls asking for FT care, I tell them that I am closed on Wednesdays and ask if they have someone who can watch their child that day. I give them my reasons - I volunteer at my girls' school all day, our PT pediatrician works Wed, I feel I am a better mommy and DC provider with a day off. Everyone who wanted FT ended up finding a person for that one day - grandma, grandpa, daddy, aunt, a friend. I love it. And I love my PT kids. I have a rate for up to 3 days and a 4 day rate. I don't normally fill in their off days (so right now I only have a baby an a kinder on Tues) so if they need me an extra day, it's $40-50 for that extra day. My families love it as well. And my DH is a teacher, so it's not like we can leave town for the weekend on Thursday evenings if I had Fridays off. It may sound strange, but I love my day off being in the middle of the week.
Ariana 09:32 AM 12-07-2011
I only do part-timers by choice right now. My daughter is only 2 so I have Mondays and Thursday afternoons off to be 1 on 1 with her. It's also great to be able to have time to run some errands and get out of the house!! I mainly do daycare for my daughters social interaction because I hated play groups. Turns out I'm making good money too

In the fall however this might change because one girl who is 3 days per week is only part-time because her mom is on mat leave. Once her yr matt leave is over I'm thinking they'll need FT care for both her and her brother....
Tags:part time, part time - curriculum, part time care, part time help, part time parents
Reply Up