Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Keep Your Wii Stuff Put Away Or You Might Get A Complaint
Unregistered 11:12 AM 05-09-2012
So licensing came pounding on my door because I received a complaint. They said they heard I had sex toys where kids could see them! Yesterday we had the utility company out and I guess he saw my black corded sex toy ( or as wii calls it a microphone). What a day! I sure hope this doesn't get saved as a complaint that parents can see considering the old man who saw it can't tell the difference between a microphone and ****, parents may not understand.
Childminder 11:37 AM 05-09-2012
This made me laugh out loud! I'm certain for you it isn't funny right now but will be someday.
cheerfuldom 11:39 AM 05-09-2012
wow....there is something seriously wrong with that utility guy
MissAnn 11:39 AM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So licensing came pounding on my door because I received a complaint. They said they heard I had sex toys where kids could see them! Yesterday we had the utility company out and I guess he say my black corded sex toy ( or as wii calls it a microphone). What a day! I sure hope this doesn't get saved as a complaint that parents can see considering the old man who saw it can't tell the difference between a microphone and ****, parents may not understand.
What did licensing say you showed them your "sex toy"?
DCP 11:42 AM 05-09-2012
OMG LOL...sorry to laugh at your expense...but seriously?!?! LOL
SilverSabre25 11:43 AM 05-09-2012
I'm so sorry that happened. What an obnoxious old fart to call about that! Sheesh, some people....

I hope it all turns out all right!
Ariana 12:02 PM 05-09-2012
OMG that is hilarious!!!

I'm so sorry this happened to you
cheerfuldom 12:05 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm so sorry that happened. What an obnoxious old fart to call about that! Sheesh, some people....

I hope it all turns out all right!
ha ha!
MarinaVanessa 12:40 PM 05-09-2012
I just snorted milk out of my nose. You should have put a disclaimer on this one
Christian Mother 12:44 PM 05-09-2012
Ohhhh MY GOSH!! Spitting cookies out of my mouth!! Sorry, that was to funny...I don't mean to laugh I know it totally NOT funny..but!!

I could tell you I would of been calling that utility guys supervisor complaining!!
DCMom 12:53 PM 05-09-2012
Oh for heaven's sake! Some people just have too much time on their hands...

Sorry for the stress of a unannounced complaint visit, but I seriously laughed out loud and woke up the baby!
godiva83 02:24 PM 05-09-2012
Lol oh man... I totally get how you could confuse the two have you seen the Kinect remote that looks a little kinky BUT seriously
Let's use our judgement Mr. Utility man!

Hope it really doesn't stay on your file and the licensing just laughed it off!
Zoe 02:25 PM 05-09-2012
I agree with Christian Mother....call that company, tell them that their guy saw a Wii microphone and assumed it was something else. There should be consequences for false complaints. Whether he thought he was right or not, maybe he will learn a lesson about what wii accessories look like.
saved4always 02:32 PM 05-09-2012
While that is kinda funny, I would call the utility company and tell the supervisor that their worker made a false report which has caused you to be visited by liscensing. I would explain how stressful that is and that it can cause big issues with your business. This guy needs to be sure of what he is seeing before he goes making reports. If your house is anything like my house, it was probably sitting next to the tv and wii right where the last kid left it...not the place most people keep thier *** toys.
daycare 02:36 PM 05-09-2012
how do you know that it was the utility company?

This is one funny story..

do they really investigate that fast, next day?? thats crazy
Unregistered 04:20 PM 05-09-2012
thanks for helping see the humor. It has been a tough week. I know for sure it was the utility man because it was in my basement which is where my family space is and also the furnace. My lovely children had left in the hallway. Childcare is done on my main level so other than my immediate family he is the only one who has been down there since my first inspection. I was very surprised at how fast they came out but I guess if I am bad enough to leave *** toys out who knows what other ways I was corrupting those little minds.

She did ask me if i have any *** on the premises and I didn't lie because I am horrible liar but like I told her if my own kids can't find them in my locked room neither could the daycare. I did get cited because my teens room wasn't clean he had laundry shoved under his bed and a Monster on his nightstand, mind you this in on a floor I am not even allowed to have daycare on for fire safety purposes.

I tell you I don't know how you guys do it. This lady expects my ENTIRE house to look like a model home at all times. I can't do it. I have six of my own kids and sometimes they make messes. I am seriously rethinking this job. Here if a complaint is made they post it on the net. I don't want future parents seeing a complaint about *** toys when they search for my license.
Kiki 05:51 PM 05-09-2012
I did get cited because my teens room wasn't clean he had laundry shoved under his bed and a Monster on his nightstand, mind you this in on a floor I am not even allowed to have daycare on for fire safety purposes.

I tell you I don't know how you guys do it. This lady expects my ENTIRE house to look like a model home at all times. I can't do it. I have six of my own kids and sometimes they make messes. I am seriously rethinking this job.
Sorry that this happened to you, it is kind of funny in a sad, sad sort of way. I hope you called the company and complained!

I have a question about the above though.

I'm probably wrong, being as I'm not licensed yet, but..I thought that if you weren't using an area of your home for your day care they couldn't cite you for stuff in it? I mean, obviously if it's something horrific like a loaded gun on a bed then yea. But?
My understanding of the areas that can be cited was this-
If it is an area of your home that is within limits of your children, that you consider a child care area, then it's free game for them. If it's an area that is sealed off (gate, hook and eye, deadbolt so on) then they really only check them for extra children, and don't cite for findings? Am I wrong?
Also-I don't think your house has to be super super clean does it? The inspection paper for here just says, 'Is the home clean aside from oridnary every day messes?' not exact wording, but close enough.

Not trying to be mean, I'm sorry it happened, but maybe I need clarification.
wdmmom 05:57 PM 05-09-2012
thanks for helping see the humor. It has been a tough week. I know for sure it was the utility man because it was in my basement which is where my family space is and also the furnace. My lovely children had left in the hallway. Childcare is done on my main level so other than my immediate family he is the only one who has been down there since my first inspection. I was very surprised at how fast they came out but I guess if I am bad enough to leave *** toys out who knows what other ways I was corrupting those little minds.

She did ask me if i have any *** on the premises and I didn't lie because I am horrible liar but like I told her if my own kids can't find them in my locked room neither could the daycare. I did get cited because my teens room wasn't clean he had laundry shoved under his bed and a Monster on his nightstand, mind you this in on a floor I am not even allowed to have daycare on for fire safety purposes.

I tell you I don't know how you guys do it. This lady expects my ENTIRE house to look like a model home at all times. I can't do it. I have six of my own kids and sometimes they make messes. I am seriously rethinking this job. Here if a complaint is made they post it on the net. I don't want future parents seeing a complaint about *** toys when they search for my license.
If they aren't going to site you for the complaint you were called in for, I would ask to speak to the supervisor about getting the report expunged.

Then I would take it a step further and call your utility company and tell them what they guy did to you and how it has been detramental to your business. Make sure this idiot learns to keep his nose on his face and out of other people's business!

Sorry you are going through this. I too did see some humor in it until you said how harsh your licensor is. Wowie! I can't even imagine the anguish you are experiencing right now.
MizzCheryl 06:26 PM 05-09-2012

I don't know what state you are in but this is BS. My consultant does not site me because my own children have dirty rooms.
And they do have awfully dirty rooms sometimes.

And I would be upset if I were you too.

I cannot believe she ask you about your personal life. Geez do we have no privacy at all?????

I would have been so nervous and upset. I would call the utility company,, no I would have my husband pay a visit to the utility co. That man has no business doing that to you. I am not one to want to see someone lose their job but this man might be a first for me. He obviously did not mind creating problems for you on your job.

Your own child cannot have a monster.

We read Where the Wild Things ARE. Guess she would write you up for that too.

This post upsets me. You were treated unfairly!!!!
saved4always 06:41 PM 05-09-2012
Wow. Now I am super glad that I decided to be legally unliscensed when I provided childcare in my home. My son's room is NEVER clean; there is always laundry all over his room. He is 17 years old. I just don't go in there. I refuse to do it for him and I am not going to live my life nagging him over and over...talk about stressful.

I didn't know we had to be celibate to have a daycare in our homes. And I didn't know that things like that are on the same level as guns.

Seems to me your liscensor is a little overly personal and over-zealous in her job.
Unregistered 06:13 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
Wow. Now I am super glad that I decided to be legally unliscensed when I provided childcare in my home. My son's room is NEVER clean; there is always laundry all over his room. He is 17 years old. I just don't go in there. I refuse to do it for him and I am not going to live my life nagging him over and over...talk about stressful.

I didn't know we had to be celibate to have a daycare in our homes. And I didn't know that things like that are on the same level as guns.

Seems to me your liscensor is a little overly personal and over-zealous in her job.
sorry to laugh in your humiliation. The sarcastic gal in me would have wanted to say to her when she asked if I had that stuff. Yes would you like to see, and then I might have said to her...... oh you must be a consultant for ......pick your favorite adult toy store.........to ask me such a question. I am so glad I am not the only one into that sort of thing.......I would have put it all back on her.

The mad gal in me would have asked her ........Is that something that is pertinent to daycare, I think I will bring this up to your supervisor. I find you crossing the line with me. When she started picking the house apart, I would have asked her why if she was out on a call for a complaint was she doing a complete in home visit/inspection? I then would have asked her for a written protocol on this type of situation. I would have made a call to her supervisor after she left. I no doubt would call the company that reported this, you must have the name of the tech that visited. Unreal.

The realistic gal in me, prob would have been mortified and wanted to just curl up in a hole and call it quits.

No matter- she was out of line with you and you need to say something to a higher up and express how mortified you are with all of this. I agree overly personal and over zealous in her job. It is these type of power people that cause others to not want to be licensed. There job should be to work with you not against you or to make you feel inadequate. Helping you to make your childcare the best it can be and not putting people in fear of every little thing. Life is not perfect- expectations should not be fear of these people coming into our homes and picking us apart. We should look forward to these visits as another help system working with us, not against us or trying to find something wrong. Common sense. If a gun is laying out or the place is filthy or kids are not being cared for....yes step in and do something but for all this other little stuff......get a life.

Here is what I would do.....call the company and report the man for what he did. Talk to a higher up over her head. Explain how that visit made you feel and what you want done about it.

Best-
MarinaVanessa 10:27 AM 05-10-2012
I may be the only one that feels this way it seems but even us mandated reporters are required to report suspected child abuse, neglect and exploitation. Isn't that what this man was doing? He simply suspected that there was a sex toy laying out down there and was showing his concern for the children that were in the home. What if he were in a different home where the children really were being abused sexually? You just never know KWIM?

I've had CPS come to my home before (before I ever did DC) because I took my DD to the DR for a severe diaper rash. I was MAD because she had spent the weekend with her bio dad and minor diaper rashes seemsed to be a pattern when she went over on his weekends. She came back this time with a bleeding rash . I took her in Monday morning and the DR did ask me what happened and I did tell her she had been at her dads. After the DR I took her to DC and told the DC provider about her rash and her DR visit. Either the DR or the DC provider must have reported it because 2 days later CPS was at my door. They asked me about the rash and asked to see it (it was gone by then) and aske dme a bunch of questions about her dad etc. In the end they reassured me that nothing would come of it and that it was obvious that she was well taken care of here. They did go to bio dads house too and apparently scared teh bejeezus out of him because it never happened again.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that I didn't mind having to go through it because whether it was the DR or my DC provider, they were looking out for the best interest of my child. Yes it was nerve wracking, yes it was insulting and embarrassing but whoever it was that reported it was only doing what they felt was their moral duty. I would personally rather make 100 reports that ended up turning out that nothing was going on rather than to not make an accusation because I wasn't sure and take the chance that the one child could actually be abused KWIM? JMPO.
MizzCheryl 10:37 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I may be the only one that feels this way it seems but even us mandated reporters are required to report suspected child abuse, neglect and exploitation. Isn't that what this man was doing? He simply suspected that there was a sex toy laying out down there and was showing his concern for the children that were in the home. What if he were in a different home where the children really were being abused sexually? You just never know KWIM?

I've had CPS come to my home before (before I ever did DC) because I took my DD to the DR for a severe diaper rash. I was MAD because she had spent the weekend with her bio dad and minor diaper rashes seemsed to be a pattern when she went over on his weekends. She came back this time with a bleeding rash . I took her in Monday morning and the DR did ask me what happened and I did tell her she had been at her dads. After the DR I took her to DC and told the DC provider about her rash and her DR visit. Either the DR or the DC provider must have reported it because 2 days later CPS was at my door. They asked me about the rash and asked to see it (it was gone by then) and aske dme a bunch of questions about her dad etc. In the end they reassured me that nothing would come of it and that it was obvious that she was well taken care of here. They did go to bio dads house too and apparently scared teh bejeezus out of him because it never happened again.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that I didn't mind having to go through it because whether it was the DR or my DC provider, they were looking out for the best interest of my child. Yes it was nerve wracking, yes it was insulting and embarrassing but whoever it was that reported it was only doing what they felt was their moral duty. I would personally rather make 100 reports that ended up turning out that nothing was going on rather than to not make an accusation because I wasn't sure and take the chance that the one child could actually be abused KWIM? JMPO.
I feel that he falsely accused her. Rich people call that slander. If you are gonna turn someone in, get the facts straight. She had done nothing wrong and was written up on the account of his call.
What he did was no different than lying. In fact he did lie even if he thought he was right. Which we do not even know.

I see what you are saying about the rash. I understand that they assured you everything was fine. But this was not what happened to her. She got nit picked until they found a reason to write her up. They could not find one so they pulled one out of the bag(of dirty tricks).
That could hurt her business which is her livelyhood.
Nellie 11:00 AM 05-10-2012
[quote=MarinaVanessa;228237]I may be the only one that feels this way it seems but even us mandated reporters are required to report suspected child abuse, neglect and exploitation. Isn't that what this man was doing? He simply suspected that there was a sex toy laying out down there and was showing his concern for the children that were in the home. What if he were in a different home where the children really were being abused sexually? You just never know KWIM?

Agree. I think that the purpose of CPS is ensure the safty of children. If people were to be 100% right when calling in there would be alot of people to scared to call. I do feel AWFUL for the poster. It is scary to have the way you care for children questioned even when you are a wonderful loving provider. I think it is awful to be wrote up about your son's room. I hope this complaint doesn't show up on your file. I hope you are able to feel better soon. HUGS.
MarinaVanessa 11:10 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I feel that he falsely accused her. Rich people call that slander. If you are gonna turn someone in, get the facts straight. She had done nothing wrong and was written up on the account of his call.
What he did was no different than lying. In fact he did lie even if he thought he was right. Which we do not even know.

I see what you are saying about the rash. I understand that they assured you everything was fine. But this was not what happened to her. She got nit picked until they found a reason to write her up. They could not find one so they pulled one out of the bag(of dirty tricks).
That could hurt her business which is her livelyhood.
I'm confused. I'm not sure what you mean by he lied. I'm assuming that you mean that the report said that there were sex toys where the children could see them? How is that lying? He saw what he suspected was a sex toy laying out on the floor in a hallway of the basement. Her kids spend time down there and so there are probably some sorts of kid stuff down there apart from the game console and he assumed that all of the kids had access to that area too. He was wrong in his assumption, but he didn't lie. A lie is when you knowingly say something that is false.

How he could possibly think that a Wii microphone was a sex toy is beyond me but he somehow did. Was he wrong, yes. But he was well intentioned. I don't say that it doesn't suck to go through this especially as a child care provider and I deffinetely don't agree with the fact tha her licensor wrote her up for something that isn't even in DC space. That however, is a different issue that must be taken up with licensing. If we chastize those that make suspected reports that turn out incorrect then you will live in a place with people that will be too scared to speak up for fear of being wrong ... KWIM?

I doubt that the man did it out of malice or to hurt her. I have a hard time with this situation because I think that the issue should be with licensing, not with the utility man. If licensing issued a citation for a messy room and a rockstar it seems utterly absurd to me considering that it's not DC space. I'd be all over licensing like white on rice demanding for that regulation in writing and they would see me at an appeal.

A few years ago our county decided that they would charge people a flat $75 fee or a per-use fee of $.99 for each 911 call. The fee would be applied to whoever's phone it was so people said that they would simply stop calling 911 when they saw car accidents, muggins, domestic disputes, fights, etc. It didn't take them long to detract that fee. I can only imagine that if people would stop calling 911 for these siatuations over a $.99 fee what would happen if they feared losing their jobs or having other reprocussions if they reported something that turned out to be a misunderstanding. It's a tough situation for sure.

Update: I have just been in formed that there are accessories that resemble sex toys. Ok so I can see now how the guy could have gotten the idea from, although a microphone is a micriphone and I still don't see how the Wii microphone could be confused with something else. Here are some of the examples that I found on Google in a 5 minute search. (I had to see for myself)

Attachments for a Wii remote. Don't look if you get offended.

More attachments for a Wii remote for adults games. Don't look if you get offended.

Not a Wii remote but a PS remote.
Countrygal 03:53 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
If they aren't going to site you for the complaint you were called in for, I would ask to speak to the supervisor about getting the report expunged.

Then I would take it a step further and call your utility company and tell them what they guy did to you and how it has been detramental to your business. Make sure this idiot learns to keep his nose on his face and out of other people's business!

Sorry you are going through this. I too did see some humor in it until you said how harsh your licensor is. Wowie! I can't even imagine the anguish you are experiencing right now.
Yes, what she says!
Tags:complaint
Reply Up