Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Bummed Over Schedules
providerandmomof4 04:03 PM 01-03-2013
I have all first shift families and one dcm that I just love. She has a baby (12mths) and I just love the baby too. If I didn't know better, I would think dcm has ran a daycare before...that's how considerate she is. Always on time with pymnt, usually has a day off during the week and keeps her dcg home. Always early for pickup....Sigh...well, it appears those days are gone and I'm bummed. When I say she is never late, it's because she always sends a family member to pick up dcg. Dcm, however works a schedule and hours that are all over the place.

So today, she says that she doesn't have anyone that can pick up dcg anymore, and could we work something out because she will have to do it all from now on? I tell her that we will work it out and don't stress about it now-she was on the verge of tears. I have a 9 hr policy and advised at interview I cannot work with schedules over 9 hrs and I close at 5:30pm. This being said, I looked at her schedule, which before, I looked at mainly for drop off reasons because she always had someone pick up by 4pm. So... I'm looking and she has a few 12-9pm shifts...EEk! Um..hell no. So I am going to call her tonight and see how she plans to handle those shifts because I will definitely not be working that....It just seems like every time I have a dream family...a bomb gets dropped kwim?
Oh yea, and she throws in before she leaves, "Well..I'm usually off one day during the week, so dcg isn't ever at dc 40 hrs a week." Yes, BUT..that is your choice AND, I did not agree to work a 12hr shift, just because you kept her home the previous day! I didn't say that...of course
What should I do??
Scout 04:35 PM 01-03-2013
stick to your guns!! How would it affect your family life to work until 9?? I'd bet a lot. I wouldn't do it. I get upset when they are here til 6!! I hope you can work it out & that somehow she can get picked up by 5:30!
MyAngels 04:47 PM 01-03-2013
You might be surprised at what she can work out if you don't make her child staying until 9 p.m. an option.

Every now and then I have had a parent who tells me they "just don't know what they're going to do" in the hopes that I will bend my rules on my strict closing time, but yet somehow they manage to figure it out when they realize their alternative is finding another provider.

I'm an easy-going provider overall, but my 5:00 p.m. closing time is sacrosanct to me and I will not bend on it for any reason.
williams2008 05:18 AM 01-04-2013
Me personally would not do it. I have worked up to 11:30 pm before and it drove me nuts!! I had no time for my family, church ministries, nothing at all!! Stick to your guns!
LK5kids 12:00 PM 01-04-2013
There was a time I would have done it and it would have been okay if it was one or two older ( like two & up) kids. My kids were late grade school and up. I had a large separate addition for child care, etc. Oh gosh, I guess I did do it for two sweet little girls. Mom was a single mom and was a waitress till about 11:00pm.
It worked out fine BUT I totally see why you can't offer those hours. I wouldn't do it now!

We can't be everything to everybody! There are limits. Do what is best for you.
Hope this all works out for you!
itlw8 02:27 PM 01-04-2013
That is when I say Oh that is too bad, what are you going to do? And I only do infants f/t so she could come p/t but it still costs her f/t rate or I will just fill her spot everyone wants an infant opening
Tags:schedule
Reply Up