Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing daycare kids to school
LannieJ 02:34 PM 07-23-2014
Hello,
I am currently at capacity, but in 2 weeks I will be losing 6 kids to school programs. 1 of the kids is entering Kindergarten out of my district, so I understand, but the others I don't.

2 of my kiddos are entering Kindergarten & going to afterschool programs so that mom can save money; 2 of my kiddos are going to church run pre-K programs that cost more than I charge; 1 is going to a free pre-K program out of my area so that mom doesn't have to pay (but will end up paying someone because pre-k programs out here are only 4 hrs p/day)

I understand that it is the nature of the business that kids have to grow up and move on. However, it kinda hurts (my heart & pocketbook) to lose kids. I know that the afterschool program will not give the kids what I do, they'll be just number. Also, I have a stellar pre-K program. When my kids go to Kindergarten, the teachers are surprised they learned so much from a home-based daycare & request my kiddos be in their class!

I guess it's more prestigious to say their kids are in school vs daycare and in other cases better to save a couple of bucks than to have your child in a place where they're loved & cared for, not just looked at.

I know, I know, I shouldn't take it personally, but I do. I'll be the first to admit that I have a hard time separating this business from my personal feelings because I love all of my kiddos so much.

Thanks for coming to my pity party.
Michelle 02:40 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by LannieJ:
Hello,
I am currently at capacity, but in 2 weeks I will be losing 6 kids to school programs. 1 of the kids is entering Kindergarten out of my district, so I understand, but the others I don't.

2 of my kiddos are entering Kindergarten & going to afterschool programs so that mom can save money; 2 of my kiddos are going to church run pre-K programs that cost more than I charge; 1 is going to a free pre-K program out of my area so that mom doesn't have to pay (but will end up paying someone because pre-k programs out here are only 4 hrs p/day)

I understand that it is the nature of the business that kids have to grow up and move on. However, it kinda hurts (my heart & pocketbook) to lose kids. I know that the afterschool program will not give the kids what I do, they'll be just number. Also, I have a stellar pre-K program. When my kids go to Kindergarten, the teachers are surprised they learned so much from a home-based daycare & request my kiddos be in their class!

I guess it's more prestigious to say their kids are in school vs daycare and in other cases better to save a couple of bucks than to have your child in a place where they're loved & cared for, not just looked at.

I know, I know, I shouldn't take it personally, but I do. I'll be the first to admit that I have a hard time separating this business from my personal feelings because I love all of my kiddos so much.

Thanks for coming to my pity party.
awe, I am sorry you are losing so many love bugs!

I hate it when this happens
the kids will miss your love and warmth and the parents really have no idea what kind of mistake they are making
big hugs

Shell 03:45 PM 07-23-2014
This is a sensitive topic for me as well. I had a wonderful dcg- parents were my friends, and they assured me dcg wouldn't leave until she was at least 4, if not older (not to mention the substantial discount they were given and opening early for them for months and on and on). I was heart broken the day dcm came to me saying they were moving her to a preschool for the hours and because dcm was feeling "pressure" to put dcg in a formal daycare. What really hurt is that I used to be a preschool and K teacher, and a darn good one. She really couldn't have found a better program than what I was offering- but so it goes
sugar buzz 04:04 PM 07-23-2014
I've dealt with this, as well. I finally made it my policy that I would only provide care until age three because DCF in my area LOVE this big, expensive, private, prestigious daycare/preschool in our town, and I would lose them at that age to it, anyway. My latest little graduate was supposed to start in the fall, but his parents bumped him up to summer. His new teacher lives in my neighborhood and told me that he cried and asked about me for four straight weeks. His parent's love the uniforms and car magnets that advertised the school and told me that he had no problems transitioning.
AmyKidsCo 04:23 PM 07-23-2014
I think we've all experienced this at one time or another... or will in the future. IMO it's the idea that children need to be in "school" to "learn" and since most in-home child care programs don't look like "school" (big building, chalk boards, etc) parents think their children aren't learning anything important with us.
Childminder 05:57 PM 07-23-2014
Last fall they started free preschool for 4 year olds in my district. Lost five out of six kids. This year they will be offering free preschool to 3 year olds too. There aren't enough children to go around and if I can only have two under 18 months and/or four under 30 months. I'm screwed.
Unregistered 06:38 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Last fall they started free preschool for 4 year olds in my district. Lost five out of six kids. This year they will be offering free preschool to 3 year olds too. There aren't enough children to go around and if I can only have two under 18 months and/or four under 30 months. I'm screwed.
Preschool is free here, too. Most of them go to public schools and there's a few boe run head starts for the rest. I'm surprised this isn't more common. I don't have any children who are four currently. The only ones I've had have late birthdays and miss the cut off.
Unregistered 08:38 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
I've dealt with this, as well. I finally made it my policy that I would only provide care until age three because DCF in my area LOVE this big, expensive, private, prestigious daycare/preschool in our town, and I would lose them at that age to it, anyway. My latest little graduate was supposed to start in the fall, but his parents bumped him up to summer. His new teacher lives in my neighborhood and told me that he cried and asked about me for four straight weeks. His parent's love the uniforms and car magnets that advertised the school and told me that he had no problems transitioning.
Out of random curiosity, was is it a Primrose School?
Play Care 03:37 AM 07-24-2014

One of the reasons I started offering preschool transportation was because of this. I get to keep kids until K, and parents still get the "real" preschool experience... Have there been times I've thought that I do pretty much the exact same things as the school? But if parents want to pay my full tuition and pay preschool tuition, then that's on them.
lilcupcakes09 04:30 AM 07-24-2014
I was in this spot at the end of last summer, had 4 tell me they were leaving 2 weeks before school started, two different families, but they were both going to Grandma's before & after school to save money. Hurt my heart & my wallet, as they were both good family friends, but couldn't disagree that I wouldn't do the same if in the same position. They each had younger siblings that stayed with me though. Funny part is they are all back now, one year later, it ended up being a little much on the GRandma's! I always say it was a nice little break even though I had to budget a little more. Hang it there!
coolconfidentme 04:32 AM 07-24-2014
Sorry, they are going. I don't like to see mine go either. On a side note, I try to replace kids leaving with an infant. This way I have a long term client.
taylorw1210 05:13 AM 07-24-2014
I completely understand how you feel. One of my favorite kiddos is leaving next week - literally the day he turns 3 to start a federally funded pre-k program. Do I feel it's in his best interested? No. Do I think he'll be getting something he doesn't already get with me? No. But I'm not his mother and his parents are the type that they feel the need to push every milestone. This same kid has been pressured to potty train for over a year and guess who is not remotely close to potty training? Unfortunately this is the hardest part of the job for me because I, too, get more attached than I probably should.
Unregistered 06:57 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Sorry, they are going. I don't like to see mine go either. On a side note, I try to replace kids leaving with an infant. This way I have a long term client.
Same. I actually prefer infants. Not only for the commitment, but I feel some 3 year olds can be very moody and stubborn. I think at 3, they start to realize Miss. X has rules but mommy and daddy don't and I don't like rules. The oldest I will start a child at is 18 months. Any thing older is too much of a hassle for me. I will only take them, if they've been at home with a sitter. I don't like families that have been to multiple centers. Usually (in my area), that means they're a problem and have been booted out. That's bad, because a lot of centers here are lax in rules.
Unregistered 07:12 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I completely understand how you feel. One of my favorite kiddos is leaving next week - literally the day he turns 3 to start a federally funded pre-k program. Do I feel it's in his best interested? No. Do I think he'll be getting something he doesn't already get with me? No. But I'm not his mother and his parents are the type that they feel the need to push every milestone. This same kid has been pressured to potty train for over a year and guess who is not remotely close to potty training? Unfortunately this is the hardest part of the job for me because I, too, get more attached than I probably should.
As someone who worked in a head start, I can tell you being in a small/home day care is better. You can't compete with free.
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 07-24-2014
All parents aren't looking for free.

Some parents simply want the brick and mortar building experience.

Family Child Care (even if you offer a structured curriculum and prep the kids for Kindy) is NOT the same concept.

FCC is still a home based business, 9 out of 10 times with a provider/teacher managing HER home life at the same time.

As their kids age and begin a new phase in their lives, parents support that but sometimes need that change too. It's part of their child growing up.

Buying school clothes, school supplies, having a back pack and being dropped off at a place with kids that are ALL the same age, and a teacher called something formal verses "Mama Jen" or some other version of affection.

Preschool sometimes means buses and sack lunches....

Parent meetings, newsletters, homework, field trips, show and tell, conferences, classrooms, ect.....

The WHOLE package is what parents are often looking for.

ALL the things a preschool offers that is usually not found in a family child care setting.
Unregistered 09:16 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
All parents aren't looking for free.

Some parents simply want the brick and mortar building experience.

Family Child Care (even if you offer a structured curriculum and prep the kids for Kindy) is NOT the same concept.

FCC is still a home based business, 9 out of 10 times with a provider/teacher managing HER home life at the same time.

As their kids age and begin a new phase in their lives, parents support that but sometimes need that change too. It's part of their child growing up.

Buying school clothes, school supplies, having a back pack and being dropped off at a place with kids that are ALL the same age, and a teacher called something formal verses "Mama Jen" or some other version of affection.

Preschool sometimes means buses and sack lunches....

Parent meetings, newsletters, homework, field trips, show and tell, conferences, classrooms, ect.....

The WHOLE package is what parents are often looking for.

ALL the things a preschool offers that is usually not found in a family child care setting.
All of the ones who want free are in my area. Many of them have told me (hinted ) if I could get free preschool they would stay with me. I do everything you mention but busing and homework (which is NOT developmentally appropriate for four year olds anyway). I get your point, I want to say I am a bit offended. I know it wasn't your intention, but you can't say what goes on in someone else's business. I was a teacher. I student taught in a first grade half the year and a third grade the second half. I have worked for the board of education and was pursuing my masters. I probably would have finished if I still got the teacher discount the local college offers, but it too expensive to pay it all. I am just as experienced (if not more) than the preschool/head start teachers in my area. For my business, it's better than a public school/head start because I have low numbers and can work with the children one on one. Is there a time for school? Yes. However, what is school? Not everyone goes to public school. My sister in law home schools. So, are her children are not "growing up"? Some children go to private schools or country day schools which are more like a home.
daycare 09:26 AM 07-24-2014
I offer the whole program as well, I do news letters, conferences, progress tracking, amazing fieldtips, report cards, back to school night, talent shows, and a great phonics program that is also math Incorporated.

I have had families still leave me for PRESCHOOL and I felt hurt at first. To date those that have left me for the "preschool experience" 4 out of 7 of them have asked to come back, I let two of them come back and the others told no.

Like someone here said, they feel the pressure of their peers, people who don't know what they have. They feel their child needs that "School" experience before the enter the real deal.

I don't take it personal anymore. I know that families are always going to do what is best for them at the end of the day just as I am going to do for my family and business.
Blackcat31 09:42 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
All of the ones who want free are in my area. Many of them have told me (hinted ) if I could get free preschool they would stay with me. I do everything you mention but busing and homework (which is NOT developmentally appropriate for four year olds anyway). I get your point, I want to say I am a bit offended. I know it wasn't your intention, but you can't say what goes on in someone else's business. I was a teacher. I student taught in a first grade half the year and a third grade the second half. I have worked for the board of education and was pursuing my masters. I probably would have finished if I still got the teacher discount the local college offers, but it too expensive to pay it all. I am just as experienced (if not more) than the preschool/head start teachers in my area. For my business, it's better than a public school/head start because I have low numbers and can work with the children one on one. Is there a time for school? Yes. However, what is school? Not everyone goes to public school. My sister in law home schools. So, are her children are not "growing up"? Some children go to private schools or country day schools which are more like a home.
Not seeing where I said anything offensive...

I am a provider too. I am also a licensed teacher with a degree.

Doesn't change how parents view child care.

I can't change how they view "family" child care.

I am sure there are a million reasons parents want preschool.

If it's because it's free, then you can't compete with that; unless you do it for free too.

If it's something else...then find out what it is and provide what it is the parents is looking for.

You are right though, not everyone goes to public school but on the same note, not every parent is looking for the brick and mortar preschool either.

My reply was based on "those" parents since that is the topic OP wrote about.
Reply Up