Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>In-Home Vs Centers
MommyofThree 07:00 AM 03-03-2011
Hi I am going back to work and have three children and would like to know how to chose a daycare. I am thinking a center only because you hear alot more bad things at in-home ones. Not all in homes are bad but this is my childrens first time so really need imput on both sides. I f you sent you child to both which one did you like more and why. I graduate soon and will have a job very shortly and my baby is one and he has yet a voice to speek up if he is being hurt. thanks
dEHmom 07:13 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
Hi I am going back to work and have three children and would like to know how to chose a daycare. I am thinking a center only because you hear alot more bad things at in-home ones. Not all in homes are bad but this is my childrens first time so really need imput on both sides. I f you sent you child to both which one did you like more and why. I graduate soon and will have a job very shortly and my baby is one and he has yet a voice to speek up if he is being hurt. thanks
Sounds to me like you're expecting the worst.

Alot of us on this site are day homes. Not all of us but lots of us are. And I disagree with what you've stated about more bad things at in home daycares.

You need to do what you feel is right. And he will be talking soon enough. You can always tell if your child's attitude changes, if he becomes withdrawn or angry. Sometimes it's just a reaction from the adjustment.

Do your research, trust the person you are handing your child over to, and if you walk away worried somethign might be wrong, then something is wrong.
momatheart 07:20 AM 03-03-2011
Personally I feel a young one is better off in a home daycare.
I feel that a home daycare will NOT tolerate bad behavior and will let those children go. Which protects your child really. In a center as children get older the class size goes up as well and behaviors are not always the best and from my experiece are tolerated longer and those children don't get termed as fast as they do in a home daycare.

A home daycare to me just seems to have more comforts of home around them and I feel can add to an easier transition. NOt so hard looking. Eg there is furniture, there is usually a mom caring for your child. And lets face it once you are a mom you care differently for children. You understand that MOMMY love that one has for their child. In a center you have a higher chance of having someone care for your child who doesn't have or has not had children yet. Not that they are bad providers just different.

Centers also have more people coming in touring or popping in unannouced.
Unless they have a coded locked door enterance.

I feel once a child is 4 or just before Kindergarten a full time preschool daycare could be wonderful for them. There are also WONDERFUL daycare homes that offer a preschool curiculum along with their care and you may want to consider one of those so you don't have to pull your child out of a daycare once you find one.
Unregistered 08:18 AM 03-03-2011
I'll start off by saying I never had my son in a large daycare center--home daycare from the start.

We looked at several daycares---commercial and home before deciding on a small home care for him. I was quite appalled at the conditions of some of the commercial centers..but some of the homes appalled me, too.

I like the smaller atmosphere--he gets tons of attention.

My advice--judge the atmoshpere, not whether it is commercial or home--you'll find the right one!
gbcc 08:38 AM 03-03-2011
I completely agree with Momatheart!

With a home daycare your child will always know who the provider is. At a center they may change daily or twice a day. There is high turnover due to low pay and politics involved. Also, I feel the children at centers are treated as a number or a money sign. A Home daycare, if you pick the right one, will become your child's home away from home. They become part of your family. At least mine do. Both parents and provider are able to achieve a more personal trusting bond.

Of my daycare chidren now I have 6 out of 8 children that came to me from a center. Some of the reasons were

- high staff turnover
- Large amount of people involved
- No control over picking next provider in a center
- they don't want the infant in an assembly line of swings all day
- Like personal touches
- Prefer home like environment so it's like they are at home
- Prices
- Better quality of food provided at home (not cafeteria like but more homecooked)

I'm sure I could think of more but these are the most popular reasons I come accross.

I think more important than preference is being a responsible parent and doing your research on the provider or center. Ask questions, tour, call references, review violations etc.
momatheart 08:47 AM 03-03-2011
OH and by the way I work in a daycare center.

(I have thought about doing my own daycare out of my home. I go back and forth with it. But that is another topic all together lol)
QualiTcare 08:51 AM 03-03-2011
i sent my children to a center because i didn't know anyone with a home daycare and didn't trust a stranger to be alone with them. i thought a center was better because there were so many employees and no closed doors (they had the half door/gates to separate the rooms) and there was a director and an assistant around at all times.

if i could do it over again - i would have tried a little harder to find a home daycare that was operated by a friend of a friend or someone i could get a lot of references on.

nothing in particular happened that was "bad" in the center - it's just a totally different environment with a lot more kids and less flexibility. i think they would have had better experiences in a home setting.

good luck.
momatheart 08:59 AM 03-03-2011
When my son was little I put him in a center and we moved a few months later and I put him into a home daycare I felt so much better with a home daycare and he was in 1st grade then. He is now 22 and he still remembers hating that center. people were cold there too. Not friendly and warm like the one I work in.

The center I work in is great and we are warm fun people and we are full and have a waiting list. HOwever, the mom in me says go with homedaycare especially with a young one. Older kids may need a center just because we all know how SA can be. Centers usually can accomadate for high energy wild SA kids.
nannyde 09:05 AM 03-03-2011
http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/resea.../childCare.pdf

If you have the time... this is an AMAZING read. This will answer a lot of your questions.

I think this is one of the best pieces of child care literature I have read in my 31 years. It's a bit outdated but it's a good structural look at the difference between home and center in the areas of intentional and accidental injury to children in care.
squareone 09:29 AM 03-03-2011
I agree with previous posters. I am a dayhome provider and all but 1 one of my daycare kids were switching from a center. I've heard all of the reasons on gbcc's list plus:

-wanted siblings to be able to interact with each other rather than be in separate classrooms all day.
-too expensive
-overcrowding (operating at maximum capacity)

Another thing to consider in home daycares is that you will be dealing directly with the owner. No absent directors to worry about.

I wouldn't say a home daycare is better than a center. Depending on your individual childcare needs, each has it's own benefits and drawbacks. During your search for care you will find that there are vast differences in the quality of services that daycares (homes and centers) offer. Also, don't rule out nannies. Since you have 3 children, that might work out better for you financially and your children will get personalized care in the comfort of their own home.

I think that you should start by asking trusted friends and coworkers for recommendations and go from there. Good luck in your search.
Meeko 10:02 AM 03-03-2011
I run a home day care and have worked at a large center. There are pro's and cons at both. At a center, your child may get close to his/her teacher only to find out that come Monday morning they have someone new. Centers have a "school" feeling while a home-based day care is just that...more like home. Centers can often offer bigger and better field trips due to large vans, group rates etc. while a home day care can give your child a lap to sit on at story time and a better feeling of "belonging". It really depends on what you are looking for. Visit lots of places and ask endless questions!
Cat Herder 10:17 AM 03-03-2011
I get about 15 calls a month begging me to take their kids from big centers.

I can't, I have a loooong waiting list.

Quieter, more thoughtful children get run over and wailed on in large group settings around here...
kendallina 10:33 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/resea.../childCare.pdf

If you have the time... this is an AMAZING read. This will answer a lot of your questions.

I think this is one of the best pieces of child care literature I have read in my 31 years. It's a bit outdated but it's a good structural look at the difference between home and center in the areas of intentional and accidental injury to children in care.
Wow- that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
daycare 12:46 PM 03-03-2011
Smaller group at in home, larger group at centers
More one on one attention with low ratios, centers have larger group of kids to adult ratio

Less germs child is exposed to, in large centers your child has a higher chance of getting sick more often meaning that you will have to miss more work.

Most home providers offer a flexible schedule . centers usually operate one way and have a set schedule that pertains to all. They will not go out of their way to suit your needs.

Will get to mingle with mixed ages and stay in the same room as siblings, Centers your child will be in a room with the same age group and will not have the chance to build relationships and memories with their siblings.

The same person will always be with your child, no worries that the teacher will quit and a new one will have to replace her or him. Centers often employee people who need a pay check, not people who care to stay for the children. High turn over at centers

Better chance of the child building close friendships with peers and adults
Some providers are open on holidays, centers will close on all national holidays

In home cost are less than a center, as they have less overhead.

Multi-age groups offer children opportunities to develop and practice social skills.

There is a wider range of behavior and performance that is likely to be accepted and tolerated by the adults as well as by the children themselves.

There is often less competitive and more cooperative or helpful behaviors.

In-home care offers an at home setting and often a more comfortable and secure setting for young children.

By design, mixed-age group care is geared more to the needs of individuals. Children in such groups have greater freedom to develop at their own rate.

Older children learn to adapt their language and social skills to relate with younger children, often learning patience, compassion and problem solving skills.

Younger children are challenged by older children and often engage in more complex activities then when they play with same age peers.

Children are in a much smaller group than compared to groups in preschools. This offers the children more one on one time with the teacher and your child is also exposed to less germs, when in a smaller group.
gbcc 01:00 PM 03-03-2011
Daycare, great examples and comparissons you listed there!
daycare 01:18 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Daycare, great examples and comparissons you listed there!
I made the list nicer and added it to my handout folder when I give interviews...
I made a better list a few years ago but cant find it....
Unregistered 09:35 AM 03-07-2011
Center based all the way. Originally, I would have said home based until preschool age, then center for group preschool class. After reading the posts by providers on this site, I've changed my mind to center based - I encourage you to read posts on the provider site. In almost all conflict situations, it seems the in home providers advised to terminate or add a new rule to their handbook. If these same issues came up at a center, the child would have never been terminated and rules would not have been changed - the center would have worked with the child and family through those normal stages children go through. Only in extreme circumstances do centers recommend termination. The only way I'd do in home anymore is if it were a relative of mine. That being said, all centers are not created equally either. First, I'd go with recommendations of your close friends or co workers who use centers. Then I'd look to see what their violations are. Then I'd request a tour and interview and handbook to get the details. And remember, scrap your visual first impression of the building and grounds. Picture perfect facilites can be worse than run down buildings - really find out where the director's and teacher's priorities are - children education and teacher pay or facilities and appearances. Rarely do you find a good combo of both in a center based environment - if you do, then I think you've found the "unicorn" of daycares! Looking back, I would also see how many family events they hold each year - this gives families a chance to network and swap stories and bounce things off each other. I've found the worst reputationed places held very few family events and it showed - many families were miserable and were trying to find something else. Hope this helps.
youretooloud 02:55 PM 03-07-2011
I suggest putting both home and large centers on your list to check out, then go with your gut.

Honestly though, it sounds like you are already sold on a large center, so start with those.

Are the kids happy? Look in other classrooms too, don't only look at your child's age group, you might love the infant room, but hate the toddler room.

What are the kids eating? Is it something your child might eat? Will they allow you to pack your child's lunch if she doesn't like what they serve?

When do they move up to the next class? Do they move as a group? Or on their birthday? (moving on the birthday is hard on them... moving with friends is easier)

What kind of teacher turnover do they have? Are the teachers happy? If the teachers are unhappy, the kids will be too.
daycare 03:38 PM 03-07-2011
I think that there is somewhere for everyone. I dont frown on centers or in-home. While both offer care for children, they both have their advatages and disadvantages; just like everything else in life.

MommyofThree 06:13 AM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Center based all the way. Originally, I would have said home based until preschool age, then center for group preschool class. After reading the posts by providers on this site, I've changed my mind to center based - I encourage you to read posts on the provider site. In almost all conflict situations, it seems the in home providers advised to terminate or add a new rule to their handbook. If these same issues came up at a center, the child would have never been terminated and rules would not have been changed - the center would have worked with the child and family through those normal stages children go through. Only in extreme circumstances do centers recommend termination. The only way I'd do in home anymore is if it were a relative of mine. That being said, all centers are not created equally either. First, I'd go with recommendations of your close friends or co workers who use centers. Then I'd look to see what their violations are. Then I'd request a tour and interview and handbook to get the details. And remember, scrap your visual first impression of the building and grounds. Picture perfect facilites can be worse than run down buildings - really find out where the director's and teacher's priorities are - children education and teacher pay or facilities and appearances. Rarely do you find a good combo of both in a center based environment - if you do, then I think you've found the "unicorn" of daycares! Looking back, I would also see how many family events they hold each year - this gives families a chance to network and swap stories and bounce things off each other. I've found the worst reputationed places held very few family events and it showed - many families were miserable and were trying to find something else. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I decided on a center. Now this may sound weird but I ama in- home daycare provider. But would still go with a center only because everyone is not a motherly person nor are they in it for the children. I see many in-home providers take on more kids then they can handle. Im guilty of that. Even though I have six its very stressful. Would I ever hurt a child NO!, but I just think its to much for one personto take care of six children. Now some may ask why I dont lower my numbers if I think its stressfull? Well I am like their mommy. I love them so uch and cant imagine not watching them. Its deff not for the money over here. lol. I charge very little. I am going to college now at night so in two years I am getting a full time job but Would love to star putting my youngest in a center part time because he is with me 24 7 and is very attached!
jen 11:27 AM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
Thank you. I decided on a center. Now this may sound weird but I ama in- home daycare provider. But would still go with a center only because everyone is not a motherly person nor are they in it for the children. I see many in-home providers take on more kids then they can handle. Im guilty of that. Even though I have six its very stressful. Would I ever hurt a child NO!, but I just think its to much for one personto take care of six children. Now some may ask why I dont lower my numbers if I think its stressfull? Well I am like their mommy. I love them so uch and cant imagine not watching them. Its deff not for the money over here. lol. I charge very little. I am going to college now at night so in two years I am getting a full time job but Would love to star putting my youngest in a center part time because he is with me 24 7 and is very attached!
Originally Posted by :
I'm so confused...you are going back to work NOW or in TWO years? You want to put three kids in care or just 1? You just want to provide some separation, or you need daycare so that you can go back to work?

If you are just looking for separation, why don't you consider preschool...it's much less expensive than part time center based care. How about an evening program through your local ECFE? Would that be 6 kids plus your 3?
melissathay28 04:14 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I'm so confused...you are going back to work NOW or in TWO years? You want to put three kids in care or just 1? You just want to provide some separation, or you need daycare so that you can go back to work?

If you are just looking for separation, why don't you consider preschool...it's much less expensive than part time center based care. How about an evening program through your local ECFE? Would that be 6 kids plus your 3?
I want to go back full time in two years, but truley want to get a part time job right now and get out of the daycare scean only because I want my home back. I love the ones I do take care of and dont know how to say I want to g back to work. If anyone has ever been in this situation please share.

I would love to put all three in dc because my oldest is only 7. my 4 year old is in half day pre k but my one year old I would like to put him in half day dc just because he is so attached to e and though it might help. Pre school for a one year old? Is that possible? If so I wouldnt mind doing that ut I doubt thereis pre for my one year old.
youretooloud 05:59 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by melissathay28:
Pre school for a one year old? Is that possible? If so I wouldnt mind doing that ut I doubt thereis pre for my one year old.
I've never heard of actual preschool for a one year old. But, If you can afford it, I'd look into 1/2 day Montessori or another play based program.

Also, Mom's day out can be very good if you find the right program. Especially if it's the same kids and teachers all the time. I don't even know where to tell you to look for a Mom's day out program, but I've heard a lot about them.
Sugar Magnolia 12:03 PM 05-03-2011
My husband and I (and a part-timer) operate a SMALL but fully licensed center. We have very low ratios, close personal attention, and take a milti-age approach. We have no staff turnover and the parents love our approach. Unfortunately, deserved or not, some home daycares are fly-by-night and simply not as trusted as licensed centers that have stricter state oversight, better trained and monitored staff and accepted curriculums.
AnythingsPossible 07:46 AM 05-04-2011
The children that I have gotten from daycare centers have all started with me around 12 months, and have been switched due to issues of biting and persistent diaper rashes. Not saying that all centers don't provide the level of care necessary for littles, but in my experience that is what I have encountered.
The other thing with centers is consistency of care provider. There is a previous post on this.
There are also issues with home providers, do they let the kids watch tv all day, take care of their things and not worry about the kids.
As with anything, you have to do your research. Make phone calls, ask for references, check with licensing to see if they have any negatives on their inspections. If you are considering a center, ask about the employment longevity of their employees, how often are they replacing people. Visit at different times of the day. If you are considering a home, ask how long they have been in business, why they started and what they like and don't like about doing home daycare. Some providers don't do tours during daycare hours, some do. You could drive by at different times and scope them out. I once drove by a home provider who had two toddlers playing in the front yard unsupervised. Not cool.
If you go with a home provider, I think it is very important that you mesh well with the provider. It is a much more intimate care situation then a center, in my opinion.
cheerfuldom 09:41 AM 05-04-2011
OP, if you are concerned about the ratio, it is very unlikely that you are going to find a center with a 6 to 1 ratio (like you have) or less. Since your youngest is 1 years old and no longer an infant, he or she will most likely have more like a 10 to 1 ratio at a decent center, 15 or 20 to 1 at an overcrowded center. Really do your homework. Some centers combine classes AFTER drop off time is up so just because your child starts in a lower ratioed class does not mean that is what will be provided all day. Likewise, just because there are numerous staff there in the morning, does not mean that they will all be there all day. Just because a teacher has been hired at a center, does not mean that they are cut out to take care of children all day either. I completely understand your concerns and your goals of returning to work so I hope you find the best spot for your kids. I wouldn't rule out other home daycares. Just because you are struggling with your 6 at this moment does not mean that there are not other providers out there that are not more capable (not meaning to offend, I do agree that we all have our limits and am just saying that there are some providers that are better equipped to care for more)
cheerfuldom 09:44 AM 05-04-2011
Oh and just wanted to add to the unregistered poster....just because a center may be more likely to hesitate in terming a family does not make this a better situation! With a larger group and more of a drive to make their overhead, centers are infamous for keeping bullies, biters, hiters, etc. WAAYY too long at the expense of the gentler kids. They sometimes keep special needs kids in the regular classrooms with untrained teachers who have no skills to deal with the outbursts or violence that can come with special needs kids. And the regular kids are the ones that are going to be put aside while the few disruptive ones (that are kept for monetary reasons) receive 90% of the attention and resources.
Meeko 01:54 PM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Oh and just wanted to add to the unregistered poster....just because a center may be more likely to hesitate in terming a family does not make this a better situation! With a larger group and more of a drive to make their overhead, centers are infamous for keeping bullies, biters, hiters, etc. WAAYY too long at the expense of the gentler kids. They sometimes keep special needs kids in the regular classrooms with untrained teachers who have no skills to deal with the outbursts or violence that can come with special needs kids. And the regular kids are the ones that are going to be put aside while the few disruptive ones (that are kept for monetary reasons) receive 90% of the attention and resources.
Well said. Don't think for a second that centers keep kids because they care about the parents. They have to keep up numbers. I have worked in 2 large centers over the years. Good as centers go....but something in common with each one...... there was a constant push to keep as full as humanly possible...to keep the money flow coming.

I had a boy in my class who was a holy terror. He was always hurting the other children. Hit me, kicked me...his mother couldn't have cared less.

They should have got rid of him, but it was more important to get his mothers check than to ensure the safety of the rest of the kids. If a parent got angry because this child hit their kid, the management would make sympathic noises...say that we were working on it and then it was back to business.

As an in-home provider to 16 children, I do not hesitate to term families who do not mesh with our day care "family". I want happy and SAFE kids and that is not accomplished by taking just anybody off the street into our facility.
Unregistered 11:06 AM 05-06-2011
Ratios are not always better at home daycares. My husband and I recently decided to move our infant from a home daycare to a center primarily due to ratio concerns. In Minnesota, where we live, most home daycares are licensed for 12 children. That is for one person, not with a helper. The center we are moving her to has a ratio of 4:1 in the infant room and 7:1 in the toddler room (16 months+).
Tags:inhome daycare, inhome vs center
Reply Up