Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stop Internet Censorship
SilverSabre25 09:06 AM 01-18-2012
If you believe that the government has no business censoring the internet, please take some time today to contact your representatives or sign this petition to urge Congress to say NO to this bill.
beachgrl 09:12 AM 01-18-2012
Done! I have been following this and advocating against it for awhile
badams 09:13 AM 01-18-2012
SIGNED! It's terrible what they're trying to do.
Breezy 09:17 AM 01-18-2012
Done! Thanks for posting!!
PitterPatter 09:23 AM 01-18-2012
I tried to use Wikipedia this morning and got a black out to support this.

Imagine a World
Without Free Knowledge

For over a decade, we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. For 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia. Learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ive/Learn_more
Sunchimes 09:26 AM 01-18-2012
One of my senator's contact pages seems to have crashed. I'm hoping that is a good sign. Two down, 1 to go!! I guess, it could even affect the forum in case one of us posted some pirated info. Ridiculous!
laundrymom 09:45 AM 01-18-2012
I'm calling. Someone make me a script so I don't screw up?? I've never called before.
Zoe 10:01 AM 01-18-2012
Done. I don't know what I'd do without Wikipedia and so many other great resources on the internet.
DCMom 10:40 AM 01-18-2012

Thanks for sharing!
melissa ann 11:53 AM 01-18-2012
This was on my FB page from my congressman, Tim Holden, thought I'd pass this along.

Tim Holden
I have withdrawn my co-sponsorship of SOPA. Here is my official statement:

"Based on my background as a sheriff, the Stop Online Piracy Act, commonly referred to as SOPA, was brought to me as a law enforcement bill. At its core, the bill's intent to eliminate theft by foreign websites protects the intellectual property of American manufacturers of all spheres. However, the possible unintended consequences, such as stifling innovation and limiting free speech on the Internet, have come to the forefront of debate. An open Internet requires that we find a better approach that is acceptable to all sides. Therefore, I am today withdrawing as a cosponsor of this bill and will work to find a solution that protects both the openness and innovation of the Internet as well as intellectual property."
Michael 12:53 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
This was on my FB page from my congressman, Tim Holden, thought I'd pass this along.

Tim Holden
I have withdrawn my co-sponsorship of SOPA. Here is my official statement:

"Based on my background as a sheriff, the Stop Online Piracy Act, commonly referred to as SOPA, was brought to me as a law enforcement bill. At its core, the bill's intent to eliminate theft by foreign websites protects the intellectual property of American manufacturers of all spheres. However, the possible unintended consequences, such as stifling innovation and limiting free speech on the Internet, have come to the forefront of debate. An open Internet requires that we find a better approach that is acceptable to all sides. Therefore, I am today withdrawing as a cosponsor of this bill and will work to find a solution that protects both the openness and innovation of the Internet as well as intellectual property."
Lots of bills have titles that make a lot of sense. Problem is, most throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm glad Congress decided to listen to the Internet and people that truly understand the intricacies that make it work.
Sunchimes 01:01 PM 01-18-2012
Laundrymom, just say that you are one of their constituents and you are very concerned about SOPA (House bill # 3261) or PIPA ( S.978), the internet anti-piracy bills. Tell them that you realize it's a problem but that their bill is not the answer. It's too far reaching and doesn't have enough controls, and it won't solve the problem anyway. Then ask that he/she vote against the bill when it comes up for a vote on the 24th.

Here's a site with a lot of information.
http://americancensorship.org/
Sunchimes 01:11 PM 01-18-2012
Thanks for posting that Melissa Ann, that's good news!
laundrymom 06:23 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Laundrymom, just say that you are one of their constituents and you are very concerned about SOPA (House bill # 3261) or PIPA ( S.978), the internet anti-piracy bills. Tell them that you realize it's a problem but that their bill is not the answer. It's too far reaching and doesn't have enough controls, and it won't solve the problem anyway. Then ask that he/she vote against the bill when it comes up for a vote on the 24th.

Here's a site with a lot of information.
http://americancensorship.org/
Thanks!!!!
daycare 06:35 PM 01-18-2012
yeah no craigs list advertisements for us..........
SilverSabre25 04:47 AM 01-20-2012
Check and see if your senators are for or against PIPA

http://www.savetheinternet.com/pipa-whiplist
Sunchimes 05:15 AM 01-20-2012
Don't forget to contact your representatives too. The House bill is SOPA, the Senate bill is PIPA. I haven't found a list of the reps who are for and against. May be too many of them.
Tags:congress, internet, legislation
Reply Up