Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Little Help And Advise With 2 Yr Old Behaviour
Unregistered 02:13 PM 09-06-2012
I am a registered user but I haven't been on here in awhile and I can't remember my password, I try to figure that out later.
Anyways, I was looking for some advise with a 2 yr old dcg I have. I have had her since she was 3 mo old. She is a very happy, outgoing child, very smart, great vocabulary and loving to me. However, the last 6 mo or so she has been getting mean to the other kids, it's not out of anger, it's out of she is just being mean. She can be playing with someone and she'll just smile with this look in her eye and take something from someone and run, or she'll walk behind someone and just push them, she thinks it's all funny. I have repeatedly told her that's not nice, shes been in timeouts, seperated, nothing phases her. It is NOT an option for me to get rid of her for alot of reasons. I have had difficult kids but I want to work with her and try to help her, not send her off so she can get worse. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?
I have alot of activies which are changed through out the day, she has choices of what activities, whether it be books, or plato, or puzzles and coloring (just example) she loves doing all kinds of things, she can be playing with plato and just grab the plato from the person next to her just out of the blue. I don't think it's because she's bored.
Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks
Michael 02:17 PM 09-06-2012
What was your email address? I will send the passward and username to you.
Michael 02:22 PM 09-06-2012
I did an IP search for you. Were you tenderhearts? I can send you your login information is you'd like.
Unregistered 03:27 PM 09-06-2012
yes that's me, that would be great thank you very much
countrymom 05:07 PM 09-06-2012
I have a girl like this too, the more I started to question it the more I found out. Is she an only child, do her parents let her do things, do they wrestle with her, does she have a pet....I will bet you this is coming from home. You can shadow her but for me, it doesn't happen all the time, so its hard.
SimpleMom 05:39 PM 09-06-2012
LOL. I have three like this---all in the 2 yr range. Totally understand what you are talking about. Here's what I've done:
One warning--uh oh, that wasn't kind. I then show them the kinder way to act. I also let them know if it happens again they sit in the blue chair. Once that happens--and it inevitably does--I sit with them and teach them to fold thier hands and breath out --loudly. After a few days of this all I have to do most of the time is say fold your hands and/or you need to take some breaths.

I also have a screamer. They scream instead of using words a lot. I use the above strategy, but also --depending on the circumstance--I let them know since they screamed over the issue and the other person wanted something and was grabbing it (for ex.) then it's now nobodies.

In your case, I would simply say so and so, you need to play kind and that wasn't kind play. be gentle. and then place them in a dsafe place for a bit until they are ready to try again. I would keep doing this every time. eventually, they catch on

Hope this helps a bit. It's so easy to give ideas, but I'm not in your shoes kwim?
Sunchimes 06:11 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
I sit with them and teach them to fold thier hands and breath out --loudly.
I had to laugh at this. I have one of these too. One day, I told her to take a deep breath and let the happy back in. I have no idea where the happy part came from-it popped out of my mouth and so I ran with it.

It actually works sometimes, but other times, she seems so frustrated that before I can tell her to breath, she look at me and say, "No happy breath!". It's hard not to laugh.
tenderhearts 08:52 AM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
LOL. I have three like this---all in the 2 yr range. Totally understand what you are talking about. Here's what I've done:
One warning--uh oh, that wasn't kind. I then show them the kinder way to act. I also let them know if it happens again they sit in the blue chair. Once that happens--and it inevitably does--I sit with them and teach them to fold thier hands and breath out --loudly. After a few days of this all I have to do most of the time is say fold your hands and/or you need to take some breaths.

I also have a screamer. They scream instead of using words a lot. I use the above strategy, but also --depending on the circumstance--I let them know since they screamed over the issue and the other person wanted something and was grabbing it (for ex.) then it's now nobodies.

In your case, I would simply say so and so, you need to play kind and that wasn't kind play. be gentle. and then place them in a dsafe place for a bit until they are ready to try again. I would keep doing this every time. eventually, they catch on

Hope this helps a bit. It's so easy to give ideas, but I'm not in your shoes kwim?
Thank you, I like that technique, not sure if it will work with her or not but it's worth a try, I like it.
I do put her in the "quiet corner" where she can not play with anyone else, but as someone else said it's so spuratic, it's like she'll be playing and this devil gets inside her and she just feels the urge to do it, I do notice she seems to be meaner if she's tired.

She is an only child, she does have a dog that I know is like a sibling to her and she gets irritated with him, mom said she'll swat at him and tell him no or move and she said we probablly should treat it like a person but they havent. I know they are great parents and don't let her get away with stuff. As far as rough housing, I don't know, neither of her parents seem like the type but I guess you never know, they are both so mellow and seem more "serious" which their daughter definely is not. thanks again
Tags:terrible 2's
Reply Up