Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unexpected Gift, And A Question
BumbleBee 10:56 AM 08-26-2012
This morning I heard a knock on my door and when I got to the door there was nobody there. There was, however, 48 boxes of "single grain rice cereal for baby" still sealed in plastic w/no defects. I don't currently have any infants signed up.

In an effort to "pass it on" coupled with the fact that I won't be able to use all of the cereal up before the 'use by' date-I called every food pantry within 30 minutes of me to see if they could use some of the cereal. Every single food pantry is over stocked with baby food so that's a no go. I then called multiple providers in the area to see if they could use some of the cereal-got rid of 8 boxes.

So now I have 40 boxes left. I don't want it to go to waste and I don't want to sound ungrateful but I have no idea what to use it for. Can I put it in breads/sauces/etc? I don't profess to be a master at cooking so any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!
MarinaVanessa 11:06 AM 08-26-2012
Can you create a craigslist ad in the baby and child section? An ad that explains that you run a daycare and have too many baby cereal boxes than you can use might find you some homes for them. Might even get you some new business . If you don't feel comfortable having people come to your home to pick them up you can always meet them somewhere public like at a grocery parking lot. If you don't mind people coming to your address you can place them in a box and leave them by the curb so that you aren't disturbed each time someone arrives to pick them up.
Breezy 11:59 AM 08-26-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Can you create a craigslist ad in the baby and child section? An ad that explains that you run a daycare and have too many baby cereal boxes than you can use might find you some homes for them. Might even get you some new business . If you don't feel comfortable having people come to your home to pick them up you can always meet them somewhere public like at a grocery parking lot. If you don't mind people coming to your address you can place them in a box and leave them by the curb so that you aren't disturbed each time someone arrives to pick them up.
That's what I was going to suggest too!

Any good baby food or non perishables I have left before we move I am going to put an ad on craigslist for to give away to someone in need.

I have done the same for baby stuff I have no use for anymore.
daycare 01:48 PM 08-26-2012
Do you have a free cycle?

I give food away on it all the time
Loveyoustinkyface 01:51 PM 08-26-2012
You could even offer on your Facebook page! There are alot of families struggling that maybe can't get goverment assistance.
sharlan 03:21 PM 08-26-2012
They must get it free with WIC. One of my mothers has already given me 10 boxes in the past couple of months.
BumbleBee 03:30 PM 08-26-2012
Thank you all for the great ideas!

I put an ad on craigslist and freecycle, will put a status on my fb page later tonight. Fingers crossed!
itlw8 04:16 PM 08-26-2012
I saw some teething biscuits on pinterest made from baby rice cereal
Unregistered 06:42 PM 08-26-2012
you can mix the cereal into pancakes and the kids (and adults) will never notice. I just thin out the batter and then add it in. Extra iron.

And yes you get two huge boxes a month in our area for WIC anyway.

What about a battered woman shelter, ronald mc donald home, Early childhood program, migrant head start, or county referral agency? Seems like they would know someone in need. Our highschool has a teen mom program, maybe something like that. Or leave them at a church. Seems like you have enough boxes to hit up lots of those places.
BumbleBee 07:50 PM 08-26-2012
Well craigslist wins. Put an ad up at 6. 3 calls in 3 hours. It's going tomorrow, all 48 boxes. thanks guys!
My3cents 10:32 AM 08-27-2012
you can add it to things like pancakes, cookies, etc... extra iron.

Craigslist has a free section.

Sensory table, color it and let the kids have at it. Then bring on the hose

Maybe ship it to other countries that are less fortunate, I don't know if it would fit in a stuff a box or if the date would still be good. Churches offer this program.

Shelters, women's shelter.

Good luck. How nice for someone to think of you in a really big way!
Tags:food - storage, food - too much
Reply Up