Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Giving Up My License
Unregistered 12:28 PM 11-14-2013
Hello everyone! I am a member and I have logged out for privacy. I'm thinking about giving up my license, but I would still love to care for children. I have 3 children that are paid through the state, so I will have to let them go. How would you go about telling the parents that you are giving up your license? If you were a dcp and your provider told you they were giving up their license would you still continue to let them care for your child?
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello everyone! I am a member and I have logged out for privacy. I'm thinking about giving up my license, but I would still love to care for children. I have 3 children that are paid through the state, so I will have to let them go. How would you go about telling the parents that you are giving up your license? If you were a dcp and your provider told you they were giving up their license would you still continue to let them care for your child?
Will you be offering care legally still if you are giving up your license?

I don't mean to imply that you will be doing anything wrong....I just want to clarify that's all.
Unregistered 12:40 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Will you be offering care legally still if you are giving up your license?

I don't mean to imply that you will be doing anything wrong....I just want to clarify that's all.
Yes I will offering it legally
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 11-14-2013
Then as a parent who currently uses your care....I wouldn't leave. The license doesn't define who you are or the kind of provider you are.

I would maybe consider telling each family individually that you are choosing to give up your license and then if possible, share why...too costly, too much paperwork, whatever your reasons are...

If parents appreciate your services and value what you do, I don't see a license or lack of one being an issue.
KidGrind 12:54 PM 11-14-2013
Then as a parent who currently uses your care....I wouldn't leave. The license doesn't define who you are or the kind of provider you are.

I would maybe consider telling each family individually that you are choosing to give up your license and then if possible, share why...too costly, too much paperwork, whatever your reasons are...

If parents appreciate your services and value what you do, I don't see a license or lack of one being an issue.
I agree with Blackcat. I would like to add as a parent if a provider told me they would be giving up their license with a satisfactory reason, I’d continue with them.

If no reason, I’d start to look elsewhere.
Unregistered 12:58 PM 11-14-2013

I would do this. I let my license expire years ago. I was honest with parents at the time - it was all too political, I was unhappy with the way they ran the organization, I didn't feel they helped me at all, etc. I explained that the level of care they received was because of me and my morals and ethics, not because of a piece of paper on my wall. They all stayed.
Unregistered 01:18 PM 11-14-2013

Thank you. I will be sure to talk to them individually.
Unregistered 01:23 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I agree with Blackcat. I would like to add as a parent if a provider told me they would be giving up their license with a satisfactory reason, I’d continue with them.

If no reason, I’d start to look elsewhere.
Thank you.
Unregistered 01:26 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would do this. I let my license expire years ago. I was honest with parents at the time - it was all too political, I was unhappy with the way they ran the organization, I didn't feel they helped me at all, etc. I explained that the level of care they received was because of me and my morals and ethics, not because of a piece of paper on my wall. They all stayed.
Thank you. That is exactly how I feel, the level of care I provide is because of me not my license.
daycare 01:30 PM 11-14-2013
the only thing that I see that you might want to avoid is saying that it is too costly. If you cut the license and say that, the parents may ask or expect you to pass the savings on to them.

Oh DCP you are saving money now by not having to pay that LIC fee, so we should get lower rates.

I might tell them that you prefer to keep your ratios small so that you can provide excellent services to all. For that reason, you have decided to forgo being licensed as you will not need a license to keep a group that size.
Unregistered 02:26 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
the only thing that I see that you might want to avoid is saying that it is too costly. If you cut the license and say that, the parents may ask or expect you to pass the savings on to them.

Oh DCP you are saving money now by not having to pay that LIC fee, so we should get lower rates.

I might tell them that you prefer to keep your ratios small so that you can provide excellent services to all. For that reason, you have decided to forgo being licensed as you will not need a license to keep a group that size.
I didn't think about, thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Heidi 02:34 PM 11-14-2013
Be careful not to mention that the state-pay kiddos are the ones who are cut to the non state-pay parents. Just tell them you are downsizing to stay within state regulations for unlicensed providers.

I am in the same place myself. Probably the only reason I'm staying licensed at this time is because in WI we can't be on the food program unless we're regulated.
williams2008 01:04 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Be careful not to mention that the state-pay kiddos are the ones who are cut to the non state-pay parents. Just tell them you are downsizing to stay within state regulations for unlicensed providers.

I am in the same place myself. Probably the only reason I'm staying licensed at this time is because in WI we can't be on the food program unless we're regulated.
Thank you!
Tags:license, license -don't want it
Reply Up