Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going To Be A Long, Long Day
Country Kids 08:02 AM 09-26-2012
Due to children not napping yesterday, we are in for a long, long day. Behavior is just over the top and we have only been at this for an hour-.

Two of the kids were up for 15 hours straight and another one almost as long. I can't believe these kids aren't tired enough to nap by naptime. They get up very, very early!

Melt downs were happening all over the place yesterday afternoon but I kept going with our routine because what more could I do. I wasn't going to start naps at 4:00 because they decided they were tired and wanted to sleep then.

I saw three of them later at an event we all happened to be at and one was so tired they were almost delirous-just uncontrollable laughing, clinging to everyone, non-stop talking, etc.

Keep me in your thoughts today that I make it till 5:00-9 more hours!
cheerfuldom 08:20 AM 09-26-2012
Why not just start moving naps up? Maybe that would help and you are just waiting too long in the morning and overstimulating them. I have had days where everyone was napping at 11 am. Other days, some of the kids take a nap when they get here (we are talking 2 and 3 year olds) for an hour, just to help them make it thru the rest of the day.
Country Kids 08:28 AM 09-26-2012
With running a preschool program also, moving naps up isn't really an option.

Schedule:

Preschool-8:30-10:30

Outdoor Activities=10:30-11:30

Clean Up/Make Lunch=11:30-12:00

Lunch=12:00-12:30

A few parents pick up at this time as their children are here for preschool only

12:30-3:00=Rest time

3:00=Get up, snack

3:30=Outdoor time till 5:00 or so

Some of them may, just may be outgrowing naps which is fine but behavior wise the next day is horrible.
daycare 09:08 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
With running a preschool program also, moving naps up isn't really an option.

Schedule:

Preschool-8:30-10:30

Outdoor Activities=10:30-11:30

Clean Up/Make Lunch=11:30-12:00

Lunch=12:00-12:30

A few parents pick up at this time as their children are here for preschool only

12:30-3:00=Rest time

3:00=Get up, snack

3:30=Outdoor time till 5:00 or so

Some of them may, just may be outgrowing naps which is fine but behavior wise the next day is horrible.
I also run a preschool program and often there are times that I have to do things outside my normal routine.

I agree, if they are that sassy and spinning out of contorl, they need to get to a nap earlier. Kids who can't listen or are act such are telling me that they are too tired to do anything else and 99.5% of the time I am right.

If you allow these kids to keep going and pushing them to stay on schedule, they are going to get over that hump of being tired and then will NOT sleep. You know how we get really tired at some point in the day and then get a second wind??? Kids do too.

I would lay the ones down that need it and let those who can stay on the routine to do so. If you lay them down and they don't fall asleep in about 30min, then get them up and let them know they need to have good behavior if they want to stay up and have fun.

tomorrow, try to get them all back on your routine. if you have to sit in the room with all of the kids until they fall asleep. Make the room nice and dark, play soft classical music and if needed, rub backs until all are out.......
cheerfuldom 09:29 AM 09-26-2012
Can you do naps from 830 to 930, then two hours of preschool and skip outdoor time for now? They are still getting outdoors later in the day.
daycarediva 09:49 AM 09-26-2012
Today was a nightmare for me as well. All of my normally sweet kids were grumpy. Crying, screaming, whining, hitting, pushing, kicking, you name it. Several meltdowns, throwing toys, even throwing food. Fun prek time was cut short to make an early nap possible. Hopefully everyone wakes up in a better mood because oh.my.goodness!
harperluu 10:01 AM 09-26-2012
This week has been difficult here as well. Lots of behavioral issues. Many, many reminders. Crying, whining. Toilet regression. I did not think we would make it through yesterday. LOL. They are all going down for early naps today.

Hope everyone's week gets better quick!
Reply Up