Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potential Client, Should I or Shouldn't I??
tenderhearts 08:21 AM 06-24-2010
I got an email this morning from a female reguarding full time daycare. Yay. but I'm a little hesitant about pursuing it. Not that this really matter in my decision but she used um alot in the email and couldn't spell, no biggie really, but then she said her little girl (22 mo) has luekemia and that she can't be around anyone who is sick at all. That's impossible in a daycare setting, usually someone is contagious before they show syptoms. She's also on DHS (again no biggie other than I've never done it before but am willing to) What do you ladies think, email her back and talk with her?
professionalmom 08:38 AM 06-24-2010
Well, I am REALLY concerned about the little girl's problem with not being around any germs (illnesses). A germ-free daycare is an oxymoron. Just not possible. I think she should talk with her caseworker about that. Maybe they can help her with getting a nanny instead. If exposure to germs could be life-threatening, then daycare could endanger this little girl's life. What a horrible situation for the mother and little girl!

As for the misspellings and "um" in a written form - I would definitely hesitate. Both show a lack of intelligence, IMO. I have dealt with some parents that were so dumb, you wonder how they got to adulthood without killing themselves. I have even told my husband that I'm putting a sign on our front lawn that says, "Must have a minimum IQ of 70 to approach this house or any of it's occupants (people inside)". So, I would be hesitant to take someone with this type of language problem because she may not be able to understand your contract and what she is signing and agreeing to. And who wants the headache of daily arguing over drop-off times, pick-up times, late fees, regular fees, sick days policy, etc.
Janet 08:41 AM 06-24-2010
It's completely impossible to have a germ-free daycare. It just can't happen. I'm a complete germophobe but I still have kids develop the occasional cold. It's not a daycare scenario that you (or any of us for that matter!) could ever accommodate! I'd steer clear.
Daycare Mommy 09:00 AM 06-24-2010
Ditto what PM said. She needs to try to work with her social worker to get a nanny instead. Daycare, even if it's just 1 kid plus the provider's own kids will be an increase in germs and illness for that little girl no matter how careful they are. There's no way around it. She needs a one-on-one provider, period. I can't believe they sent her looking for a daycare knowing this....
tenderhearts 09:31 AM 06-24-2010
That's a great idea about her calling her case worker and seeing if there is another option.
That's exactly what I thought, was it's impossible to keep a germ free environment. And I'm a germophobic too. Plus she said she gives all the chemo meds and I wouldn't have to do it and she takes her in for her chemo, I would worry about how she's feeling after those treatments. I don't think you feel too good for a few days. Throwing up, and stuff, I don't really know I've just heard. I agree she doesn't sound too intelligent by her email, but maybe she was in a hurry, but she didn't even know how to spell leukemia. thanks
TGT09 02:37 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I have even told my husband that I'm putting a sign on our front lawn that says, "Must have a minimum IQ of 70 to approach this house or any of it's occupants (people inside)". .
Yeah, I seriously almost peed my pants laughing so hard at this!
TGT09 02:40 PM 06-24-2010
I agree with other posters. It's just not possible to be germ free. You can't take the time out to follow the little girl around and make sure she doesn't put anything in her mouth, touch anything etc.....

Not to mention, to me this screams liability! Who knows what she could take you to court for if God forbid her daughter got sick and it ended up being fatal. I mean my mind thinks that way, who knows if it would be legal for her to. I for one, would not want to take on the responsibility. My heart absolutely aches for both mother and child but I agree with another poster that maybe she can get with her caseworker to hire a nanny.
professionalmom 04:09 PM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
Yeah, I seriously almost peed my pants laughing so hard at this!
I know it sounds VERY funny, but I am actually dead serious. When I re-read it, I laughed at myself too! If you only knew how low on the IQ scale I have had some clients go. I really can't figure out how some of them make it to adulthood without killing themselves by accident. Seriously, you can not make this stuff up. I'm 35 and thought that I had seen and heard everything. Then I started a daycare. And I still get shocked and stunned at what constitutes an adult, let alone a parent!
originalkat 06:40 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
Well, I am REALLY concerned about the little girl's problem with not being around any germs (illnesses). A germ-free daycare is an oxymoron. Just not possible. I think she should talk with her caseworker about that. Maybe they can help her with getting a nanny instead. If exposure to germs could be life-threatening, then daycare could endanger this little girl's life. What a horrible situation for the mother and little girl!

As for the misspellings and "um" in a written form - I would definitely hesitate. Both show a lack of intelligence, IMO. I have dealt with some parents that were so dumb, you wonder how they got to adulthood without killing themselves. I have even told my husband that I'm putting a sign on our front lawn that says, "Must have a minimum IQ of 70 to approach this house or any of it's occupants (people inside)". So, I would be hesitant to take someone with this type of language problem because she may not be able to understand your contract and what she is signing and agreeing to. And who wants the headache of daily arguing over drop-off times, pick-up times, late fees, regular fees, sick days policy, etc.
I agree. Also, speaking of IQ...I have a question. How the heck do you quote just a portion of someones post? For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.
Golden Rule 07:26 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I agree. Also, speaking of IQ...I have a question. How the heck do you quote just a portion of someones post? For the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. I am Sam, Sam I am, I like to eat green ham....
Just hit the quote and delete the parts of their statement you dont want in there. It does not protect whet they have typed...you can actually edit it to say anything you want... I would not risk it, though...lol!!!

As for the OP. I would just go with my gut and stay with "What is in the best interest of the child?". That is how I make most decisions...

This child does not need to be in daycare. This child may not have a full lifespan... It must be heartbreaking to even have to consider it for the parents as well. Just a bad situation all around.
originalkat 12:39 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
Just hit the quote and delete the parts of their statement you dont want in there. It does not protect whet they have typed...you can actually edit it to say anything you want... I would not risk it, though...lol!!!.
Sorry, Just practicing using the quote post you explained.
originalkat 12:40 PM 06-25-2010
It worked! Thanks
Golden Rule 12:45 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
It worked! Thanks
Anytime.... I am just excited when I know the answer when it comes to computer stuff... My kids usually have to show me.
Tags:fulltime, germs
Reply Up