Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Antibiotics
MarinaVanessa 09:49 AM 11-09-2012
Maybe someone here with better knowledge of antibiotics can help me out here. I'm adding a policy about Antibiotics to my handbook. I pretty much want to exclude a child on a new regimen of antibiotics for 24 hours. Personally I don't want to risk having a child having a reaction to the antibiotic while here at DC so I think 24 hours exclusion is fair.

I also heard mention (from a DCM) that it takes antibiotics 24 hours to really go into effect and makes whatever ailment the person has not transferable or at least lowers the risk of infection. I havn't been able to find anything that specifically says that but I do see alot of recommendations online on medical websites that say that a child is ok to return to school/daycare after 24 hours of starting an antibiotic. For example Impedigo recommendations for exclusion is 24 hours after treatment.

Is that the reason why the recommended time is 24 hours (with antibiotics) or is there another reason? I'm trying to put together my policy.
SunshineMama 09:52 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Maybe someone here with better knowledge of antibiotics can help me out here. I'm adding a policy about Antibiotics to my handbook. I pretty much want to exclude a child on a new regimen of antibiotics for 24 hours. Personally I don't want to risk having a child having a reaction to the antibiotic while here at DC so I think 24 hours exclusion is fair.

I also heard mention (from a DCM) that it takes antibiotics 24 hours to really go into effect and makes whatever ailment the person has not transferable or at least lowers the risk of infection. I havn't been able to find anything that specifically says that but I do see alot of recommendations online on medical websites that say that a child is ok to return to school/daycare after 24 hours of starting an antibiotic. For example Impedigo recommendations for exclusion is 24 hours after treatment.

Is that the reason why the recommended time is 24 hours (with antibiotics) or is there another reason? I'm trying to put together my policy.
I think it takes 24 hours for antibiotics to effectively combat illness and render it non-contageous. There may also be reactions in some children as well, not to mention, that the child on antibiotics is sick and should be home with mom and dad, being comforted and cared for by them.

My policy states that children must wait 24 hours before returning to care after the first dose of antibiotics.
SilverSabre25 09:54 AM 11-09-2012
I don't know much about them, but I do know that not all allergic reactions to antibiotics show up quickly, and not always even with the first course. I think severe ones would, but I know that one can develop an allergy to amoxicillan (I think it's this one) or maybe penicillin after taking it for days or after taking many courses of it.

The exclusion policy is good because it keeps kids out who are still contagious, but it does not completely take away the risk of reaction.
MarinaVanessa 10:01 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I think it takes 24 hours for antibiotics to effectively combat illness and render it non-contageous. There may also be reactions in some children as well, not to mention, that the child on antibiotics is sick and should be home with mom and dad, being comforted and cared for by them.

My policy states that children must wait 24 hours before returning to care after the first dose of antibiotics.
This is what I want to do also. I don't have a policy now and havn't had an issue with it however another DCP in my area recently did and she was pretty shooken up. It's not common here to exclude for antibiotics but I want to add a policy anyway.

Do you mind sharing with me how you word your policy?

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I don't know much about them, but I do know that not all allergic reactions to antibiotics show up quickly, and not always even with the first course. I think severe ones would, but I know that one can develop an allergy to amoxicillan (I think it's this one) or maybe penicillin after taking it for days or after taking many courses of it.

The exclusion policy is good because it keeps kids out who are still contagious, but it does not completely take away the risk of reaction.
Yes, this is good to know. I just wanted to make sure that it did lower the risk of infection. I'm aware that the risk of a reaction to antibiotics isn't completely taken away but at least I can lower the risk of a bad reaction KWIM?

Thanks ladies ... you both rock and have helped me out !!
harperluu 10:32 AM 11-09-2012
I have a 24 hour wait following the start of antibiotics in my policy, but I also add that a child must also be fever free without fever-reducing meds and beable to participate in daily activities comfortably (i.e. rest comfortably, go outside, etc.) even if they have been on antibiotics for the 24 hours.

This serves as a nice catch all for me.
countrymom 10:40 AM 11-09-2012
I wouldn't because like above said, it doesn't happen all the time. My ds had it happen to him the day after he was completely finished his antibiotics--head to to hives. So bad we went to emerg. He's now allergic to a certain kind of med. Also, 24 hours isn't really substantial, because I have kids who take it once a day or 3 times a day.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 11-09-2012
Most the fact sheets I have about contagious illnesses say "Exclusion: Until 24 hours after antibiotic treatment begins" so I guess I just assumed that was standard for everything. I have never had a parent try to re-admit without being on antibiotics for atleast 24 hours.

Check out any of the illnesses on this list that require antibiotics and they all say exclusion until 24 hours AFTER antibiotic treatment begins.

http://www.hennepin.us/portal/site/H...nesEnvironment
kitykids3 01:06 PM 11-09-2012
I have nothing about antibiotics specifically, but if they've been given antibiotics they've had to seen a doctor so mine says "may return to care with a note from a doctor stating they are not contagious or are symptom free without medicine of any kind, for at least 24 hours."

I personally am not worried about a reaction from an antibiotic because it wouldn't make anyone else at risk and if the child did have a reaction (ie: a rash, breathing difficulty), then I'd be calling the parents anyways.
MarinaVanessa 01:25 PM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by harperluu:
I have a 24 hour wait following the start of antibiotics in my policy, but I also add that a child must also be fever free without fever-reducing meds and beable to participate in daily activities comfortably (i.e. rest comfortably, go outside, etc.) even if they have been on antibiotics for the 24 hours.

This serves as a nice catch all for me.
Yes I have something similar for my vaccines also. It says that even though the child was only vaccinated that the illness policy still holds so if they show any signs of exclusion no matter what the reason is; due to medication, illness, vaccinations, teething ... whatever, they still need to stay home.

This is what I came up with:

Antibiotics
Children that are put on a new regimen of antibiotics must be excluded from daycare for the first twenty-four (24) hours of starting the dosage. This is to minimize the risk of infection to the other children as most antibiotics take a full 24 hours to take effect and render the infection incommunicable. It also helps minimize the risk of the child having a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotic while at daycare. Children exhibiting symptoms for exclusion due to antibiotics must still follow the illness policy.

I know that not all people get allergic reactions to things right away but since the majority of kids that react severely to antibiotics react within the first 24 hours I feel like it will help me minimize the risk.
Tags:antibiotics, medication - policy
Reply Up