Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Article On Importance Of FREE Play? Anyone Have One
daycare 09:32 AM 09-06-2013
I am looking for an article on why free play is so important for young children.
Does anyone have a really good one?
Unregistered 10:41 AM 09-06-2013
I used to have one I loved a few years ago but lost it, and have not been able to find the same article online again.

I also want to put together something that states the importance of the different types of play we do. For instance why we play with blocks, play dough, book center, outdoor play, sensory etc.
Josiegirl 11:15 AM 09-06-2013
http://www.informedfamilylife.org/20...ough_play.html

That's one. I know I've got more saved....somewhere.
daycare 11:19 AM 09-06-2013
you rock thanks so so much...

I am dealing with a parent that is a teacher saying that she wants 100% adult lead care and no free choice play for her kid. She is doing the same for the entire preschool that she runs. Yes that's right, she owns her own preschool and this is what she has done with hers and wants me to do the same..

Of course, I REFUSE to make changes on her request, but I can't help but want to throw a good article at her before I term their care. BECAUSE this is where it is going.

UGH....Where do I find these people...../lol
JoseyJo 12:47 PM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
you rock thanks so so much...

I am dealing with a parent that is a teacher saying that she wants 100% adult lead care and no free choice play for her kid. She is doing the same for the entire preschool that she runs. Yes that's right, she owns her own preschool and this is what she has done with hers and wants me to do the same..

Of course, I REFUSE to make changes on her request, but I can't help but want to throw a good article at her before I term their care. BECAUSE this is where it is going.

UGH....Where do I find these people...../lol
Wow, I feel sorry for her preschool kids
Josiegirl 03:57 PM 09-06-2013
You're very welcome. I thought I had more saved and have no idea where I saved them.
Does that woman get a lot of kids attending her program? JMO but I think from birth-5 a child learns more from play than from anything else, just like the article said. And you can create an environment that lends itself to learning without the child even realizing they're learning! Plus it develops a love for learning as they get older. And that's the most important part. Creating a boring learning environment makes learning boring.
misslori50 06:32 PM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
You're very welcome. I thought I had more saved and have no idea where I saved them.
Does that woman get a lot of kids attending her program? JMO but I think from birth-5 a child learns more from play than from anything else, just like the article said. And you can create an environment that lends itself to learning without the child even realizing they're learning! Plus it develops a love for learning as they get older. And that's the most important part. Creating a boring learning environment makes learning boring.
you create a learning environment and they will learn. They dont need to be "led"
Sunshine74 07:08 PM 09-06-2013
Try this one.

http://www.ooeygooey.com/the-marcon-study/

Or look up: Rebecca Marcon study of early-childhood programs
grandmom 03:39 PM 09-09-2013
"The Mandate for Playful Learning in Preschool" by Hirsh-Pasek, Golinkoff, Berk, & Singer. Great book.
MarinaVanessa 06:29 PM 09-09-2013
I don'e have an article but I do have a section on my website where I explain what we do at daycare and the things that the children learn while they play. I put it together from various sources (college classes, workshops etc) because I didn't want to keep the handouts (kinda wishing I had kept them) but it might give you some ideas on how to talk to DCM. *please forgive the spelling errors, I have to correct those

What Does My Child Do At Daycare? Learn of Course (you call it playing)
Unregistered 06:49 PM 09-09-2013
More possibilities:

http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=...%20free%20play
Josiegirl 11:16 AM 09-10-2013
I found this many years ago and whenever I interview a prospective dcf, I include this and a few other pages, along with the 'important' stuff.
Marina, love your set-up!

Just Playing
When I'm building in the block room, please don't say I'm "Just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play, about balances and shapes.
Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up, Setting the tables, caring for the babies,
Don't get the idea I'm "Just playing." For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint, or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay,
Please don't let me hear you say, "He's just playing." For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school,
Please don't feel the time is wasted in "play". For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate. I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods, Please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just play".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to follow directions and see differences.
I may be a cook someday.

When you see me learning how to skip, hop, run, and move my body,
Please don't say I'm "Just playing". I'm learning how my body works.
I may be a doctor, nurse, or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played"
Please don't misunderstand me. For, you see, I'm just learning as I play.
I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work. I'm preparing for tomorrow.
Today, I am a child and my work is play.
Shell 11:23 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I found this many years ago and whenever I interview a prospective dcf, I include this and a few other pages, along with the 'important' stuff.
Marina, love your set-up!

Just Playing
When I'm building in the block room, please don't say I'm "Just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play, about balances and shapes.
Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up, Setting the tables, caring for the babies,
Don't get the idea I'm "Just playing." For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint, or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay,
Please don't let me hear you say, "He's just playing." For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school,
Please don't feel the time is wasted in "play". For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate. I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods, Please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just play".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to follow directions and see differences.
I may be a cook someday.

When you see me learning how to skip, hop, run, and move my body,
Please don't say I'm "Just playing". I'm learning how my body works.
I may be a doctor, nurse, or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played"
Please don't misunderstand me. For, you see, I'm just learning as I play.
I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work. I'm preparing for tomorrow.
Today, I am a child and my work is play.
Love it!
melilley 11:25 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don'e have an article but I do have a section on my website where I explain what we do at daycare and the things that the children learn while they play. I put it together from various sources (college classes, workshops etc) because I didn't want to keep the handouts (kinda wishing I had kept them) but it might give you some ideas on how to talk to DCM. *please forgive the spelling errors, I have to correct those

What Does My Child Do At Daycare? Learn of Course (you call it playing)
I just have to say that you have an awesome website, I love it!
daycarediva 11:29 AM 09-10-2013
YEARS ago, a parent made me a hand painted sign that says "We work hard all day, but our work is play." and it has hung in my playroom ever since.

I was also going to suggest the ooey gooey article, I LOVE HER and have attended a few conferences as she is close to me
HomeMADE 09:31 AM 09-11-2013
Agreed
harperluu 10:14 AM 09-11-2013
Here's one that's right from the NAEYC.

http://families.naeyc.org/learning-a...now-about-play
Meeko 02:31 PM 09-11-2013
I hand out a pamphlet to every parent with my enrollment packet. It's called "Play is FUNdemental" and is published by NAEYC. I order them from their website. It explains the importance of play to parents. I love it.
grandmom 02:45 PM 09-11-2013
Here are a couple websites. But look up Peter Gray and the importance of play.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...gives-insights

http://www.journalofplay.org/sites/w...reparation.pdf

http://www.bc.edu/offices/pubaf/news...gray-book.html
Reply Up