Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Something I Have Always Wondered......
Happily_wed 09:17 AM 01-12-2014
I have been reading back through the archives (and having to sit on my hands to keep from replying and bumping the old posts back to the front lol) and I see several posts about Christmas gifts from your daycare families.

What about other holidays? Do your daycare families do a little something for you on Valentine's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving etc?

I typically only have one family at a time. I just prefer a small number of children and to deal with only one family at a time. I do crafts for every holiday and buy a little something for the kids or mail them a card for most every major holiday. I only get something at Christmas. I live in a very small town area and have known my daycare families and their extended family for years. It has always seemed odd to me for the kids to come in on Valentine's Day and not even have a card for me. It's not a big deal but just something that I think about. I do A LOT for my families (cooking meals for them when they have a death in the family, etc) and I guess I feel a little let out?
daycare 10:00 AM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:
I have been reading back through the archives (and having to sit on my hands to keep from replying and bumping the old posts back to the front lol) and I see several posts about Christmas gifts from your daycare families.

What about other holidays? Do your daycare families do a little something for you on Valentine's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving etc?

I typically only have one family at a time. I just prefer a small number of children and to deal with only one family at a time. I do crafts for every holiday and buy a little something for the kids or mail them a card for most every major holiday. I only get something at Christmas. I live in a very small town area and have known my daycare families and their extended family for years. It has always seemed odd to me for the kids to come in on Valentine's Day and not even have a card for me. It's not a big deal but just something that I think about. I do A LOT for my families (cooking meals for them when they have a death in the family, etc) and I guess I feel a little let out?
I have some that do and some that don't. I have a lot of kids who will make me V-Day cards and gift me some candy. NOthing too exciting.

I always go all out for the holidays. I am sure that I spend way too much money.
Naptime yet? 11:09 AM 01-12-2014
I do holiday themed crafts with the kids, but no gifts, except for Xmas. I don't expect anything from them, either, not even a card.
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:

I think it depends on how each provider runs her business.

Some go out of their way to really be FAMILY care and are really an extended family member where other providers are strictly business.

I am a business ONLY provider. My DCF's know VERY little about my home life or my personal life. NONE of them have ever been to my home or probably even know where I live.

I don't discuss personal things with them and vice versa.

I think that the type of relationship you have with your parents is up to each provider and each family. There really is no right or wrong way.

I've done it different ways over the years, depending on my situation and the family in question. I used to have HUGE Christmas parties and LOTS of gifts and activities. I did this for birthdays etc. Some years I have families that show their appreciation by giving me gifts and other years I have had families that barely utter a Season's Greetings.

I don't care either way because when I did do parties and gifts, I did it for the kids and NOT to get something in return or even have the parent care that I did a party.

Bottom line for me is you can be a "golden" client by simply abide by the rules and policies that you agreed to upon enrollment. Don't make me ask for my paycheck. If they can do that...we're good.

It really is all about how YOU chose to do it.
cheerfuldom 03:50 PM 01-12-2014
Every now and then I will get something from my daycare families for a holiday besides christmas but most of the time, it is just Christmas if that. It doesnt bother me. but also, I dont pressure myself to do anything in particular for the holidays either. If I have the time we do something, if I dont, then we dont.
Happily_wed 04:13 PM 01-12-2014
I do things with/for the kids because I like to. I am a "giver" by nature. I love to send my friends cards in the mail for no special reason, like to make a meal for someone going through a rough time etc. I know it's silly to feel left out but if I had a daycare provider I would spoil them rotten so they knew that I appreciated the care they gave to my child.

Where I live it would be really hard to run a more formal business. Everyone knows everyone here. Heck you not only know them but you probably know their family for generations LOL. And everyone knows everyone's business too, whether you tell them or not! I am invited to birthday parties, baby showers and school programs for the daycare family.

I am finding it hard to explain how I feel. I guess when I hear them talk about how they made Valentine's and treat bags for everyone in their class and bought the teacher a gift (even when they went to ONE day a week preschool) yet show up with nothing for me it hurts my feelings a little. I need to suck it up and get over it LOL!
MotherNature 05:10 AM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
I do holiday themed crafts with the kids, but no gifts, except for Xmas. I don't expect anything from them, either, not even a card.
Me too.
Reply Up