Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do About Scheduling Repairmen, Etc?
Breezy 05:04 AM 01-26-2012
I have always let parents know ahead of time if I am having someone other than the adults that live here (myself and my husband) come over. I try my best to schedule when I wont have kids, but with my new FT toddler that wont always be possible.

I have a man coming from my home security company to install a camera that I will use while I am on vacation to view a live feed of my dogs when the house sitter isnt here. I will also use it to view my living room where children are playing while I am in the kitchen or even bathroom.

Anyway, I was just curious what everyone else does about people coming to your home? Do you corral the kids into a different area or continue business as usual so to speak? Do you tell parents? Ever had a parents object?

Obviously the kids wouldnt be left unsupervised ever (they arent ever anyhow!)
greenhouse 05:55 AM 01-26-2012
As long as you don't allow unsupervised access, which you said you won't, it's a non-issue I think. We also use a handyman that we have known for a while. We have a large re-modeling project to do and I am worried about the noise and distuption of naps mostly.
Daycaremomof2 06:00 AM 01-26-2012
I don't ever make an issue about it. If I can schedule it when the kids are not here- great, but with kids here 12 hours a day, that doesn't happen. i have never had a parent make a big deal about it.
Ariana 06:18 AM 01-26-2012
I had my home security guy come by a few weeks ago to check a sensor and had my DH stay home from work to deal with it....and I'm a woman at home by myself with small kids so I wanted my husband there. The sensor is in the basement where the kids are playing and he did come in right when I was changing a poopy diaper so that was fun I did tell the parents just in case they saw a strange vehicle in the driveway and were wondering about it. I also had a cleaning lady come and I made sure to tell the parents when she'd be here etc (I have since got rid of her because she was useless!!)
queenbee 06:29 AM 01-26-2012
I don't worry about it. The parents have never made a comment of any sort and my garage is currently going through a remodel and there will be a handful of workers for the next couple months.

Just yesterday I was cleaning a window and it shattered! I cannot think of a single reason as to why it would do that. I had to have an emergency window repair man come and fix it because......it's winter and very cold. The kids were so excited to tell their parents how Ms.QueenBee broke the window.

So much fun explaining it to the parents.
Breezy 06:31 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
I don't worry about it. The parents have never made a comment of any sort and my garage is currently going through a remodel and there will be a handful of workers for the next couple months.

Just yesterday I was cleaning a window and it shattered! I cannot think of a single reason as to why it would do that. I had to have an emergency window repair man come and fix it because......it's winter and very cold. The kids were so excited to tell their parents how Ms.QueenBee broke the window.

So much fun explaining it to the parents.
Oh my gosh! How strange!!
littlemissmuffet 10:57 AM 01-26-2012
I wouldn't in a million years feel the need to tell my parents a repairman was in the house - because I would never leave them unsupervised with said repeairman. If a parent found out and said they didn't like it, I would let them know the next time a repairman was coming they could either keep their child home for the day or pick their child up during the time the repeairman would be there (and still pay their regular fees). IMO, it's none of their business.

The only thing I make certain of is to tell a company not to come by during my nap hours.
Tags:maintenance, repairs, visitors during workday
Reply Up