Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Respect?
mamadaycare 09:33 AM 09-29-2020
I just opened my in home a couple months ago after 12 years in childcare. I already have a families that I feel are abusing me. They live across the street and bring their daughter immediately after she wakes up at 730 instead of bringing her at 9 like when they started. She is here until right before close every single day. I don't want to get burnt out because I am constantly doing 9.5-10 hour days for them just because they dont want to deal with her. I have another family that has one day a week we agreed on them picking up late (I would have at least 24 hours prior notice). The other day dad was 10 minutes late picking up with no notice. He didn't acknowledge that he was late either. When I messaged mom about payment for the week I mentioned he was late and I would have to charge. She was extremely rude. How do I get respect from parents without having to verbally demand it?
Josiegirl 09:59 AM 09-29-2020
She had the gall to be extremely rude to you instead of apologizing for her dh's lateness??? Oooh, I'd tell them they don't sound happy with your policies/contract and does that mean they're giving their 2 week notice? Ya just can't let something like that slide because it'll only escalate; call her on it. You have every right to be treated with respect. *Especially* in your own home.
kendallina 10:49 AM 09-29-2020
I find having clear, firm policies and sticking to them from the very beginning is essential.

I present myself professionally as a business. I run a really good program that the children and parents really like, which helps me get good families.

I also don't let families tell me how to run my business or what they need. I approach everything from a "This is what I provide" mindset and it either works for a family or it doesn't. I don't stay open later for anyone ever. But I have had some families come earlier than my open time, because that works okay for me and they pay me handsomely for it.

I am also firmer with families in the beginning of our relationship than I am once I know they won't take advantage. For example, a family that needs an extra 30 minutes one day (never past 5:00 though), receives a small charge for that time. As I get to know them and if I trust them to not take advantage, I don't charge for an occasional extra few minutes (again, never past 5:00...lol!).

In terms of the child who is with you from opening to close, this is how I approach it. Each of my families has scheduled, contracted hours for their child. I am open 9-5. Families can pick up as early as 3:00 to as late as 5:00. Price goes up for each 15 minutes.

I do not currently have a late fee but have it in my contract that a late fee will be instituted for multiple late pick ups. I've just never had a problem.

Other providers have a limit on the amount of hours a child is allowed to be in care, say 8.5 or 9 hours. And honestly, a child in care more than that either isn't getting enough parent time or isn't getting enough sleep.

Hopefully that helps!
mamadaycare 10:56 AM 09-29-2020
How do you explain contracted hours to parents? I want to switch over to them but I feel like explaining it is so difficult. I am currently open 7-5 with just business hours.
mamadaycare 10:57 AM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
She had the gall to be extremely rude to you instead of apologizing for her dh's lateness??? Oooh, I'd tell them they don't sound happy with your policies/contract and does that mean they're giving their 2 week notice? Ya just can't let something like that slide because it'll only escalate; call her on it. You have every right to be treated with respect. *Especially* in your own home.
I was honestly shocked by her response. She has not been in my home since that happened and I feel like she is upset but if I let her break the rules once I feel like it will be a reoccurring thing.
kendallina 11:05 AM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by mamadaycare:
How do you explain contracted hours to parents? I want to switch over to them but I feel like explaining it is so difficult. I am currently open 7-5 with just business hours.
Yeh, it is awkward at first. But I just say that I open at 9. Then I tell them that their tuition is dependent on their pick up time. 3:00 is x price, 3:15 is x price ...all the way up to 5:00 is x price. And I hand them a tuition schedule.

I should mention also that I'm very lucky to be able to have these short of hours. I live in a town with a lot of professional, flexibly-scheduled families. And almost zero commute time, which is great for me but I definitely recognize how lucky I am. Working 9.5-10 hours a day would be really draining!
mamadaycare 11:19 AM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Yeh, it is awkward at first. But I just say that I open at 9. Then I tell them that their tuition is dependent on their pick up time. 3:00 is x price, 3:15 is x price ...all the way up to 5:00 is x price. And I hand them a tuition schedule.

I should mention also that I'm very lucky to be able to have these short of hours. I live in a town with a lot of professional, flexibly-scheduled families. And almost zero commute time, which is great for me but I definitely recognize how lucky I am. Working 9.5-10 hours a day would be really draining!
It is extremely draining. Once they are gone for the day I still have dinner and my own 3 kids to tend to. I just started my in home and I feel like I am still working to make a name for myself here (we just moved in july). So I don't know if I am being too picky right at the beginning or not?
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 09-29-2020
I explained contracted hours so that it appeared to be a WIN for parents.

Like this:

"In an effort to be more efficient and operate on a level that is conducive to the personal needs of each individual family in care, I will be implementing a new rate scale that allows parents to choose the option that works best for them.

Rather than raise my rates for all families across the board, the new graduated rate scale is based on actual time used verses one simple flat rate for all families.

Using this method allows families who use less time than others to actually pay less for their services and since we all strive to maintain a budget in which we can survive financially, I feel this is the best way to approach the individualized needs that each family has.

This new rate scale also allows me to have control over my day so that like anyone else, I will know exactly when my work day ends. This new rate scale also allows me to be more flexible in my rates while maintaining the financial security my family needs without having to raise your rate for services provided.

Please read over the attached rate scale and let me know if you have any questions. This new rate scale goes into effect on XXXX, 2020. "

Blackcat31 11:46 AM 09-29-2020
Then I took my regular weekly flat rate and made that the rate for 3:00 pick up.

I added fees for 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 and 5:00 pick ups

Suddenly every parent is able to pick up earlier than they had been previously.
mamadaycare 01:51 PM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Then I took my regular weekly flat rate and made that the rate for 3:00 pick up.

I added fees for 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 and 5:00 pick ups

Suddenly every parent is able to pick up earlier than they had been previously.
The entire letter you shared was genius!! I love your approach, thank you so much for sharing! It will help me immensely with this change!
Josiegirl 02:36 AM 09-30-2020
What Blackcat did there is brilliant. Wish I'd had that back when I needed it. No blur of the lines at all.
mamadaycare 05:08 AM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I explained contracted hours so that it appeared to be a WIN for parents.

Like this:

"In an effort to be more efficient and operate on a level that is conducive to the personal needs of each individual family in care, I will be implementing a new rate scale that allows parents to choose the option that works best for them.

Rather than raise my rates for all families across the board, the new graduated rate scale is based on actual time used verses one simple flat rate for all families.

Using this method allows families who use less time than others to actually pay less for their services and since we all strive to maintain a budget in which we can survive financially, I feel this is the best way to approach the individualized needs that each family has.

This new rate scale also allows me to have control over my day so that like anyone else, I will know exactly when my work day ends. This new rate scale also allows me to be more flexible in my rates while maintaining the financial security my family needs without having to raise your rate for services provided.

Please read over the attached rate scale and let me know if you have any questions. This new rate scale goes into effect on XXXX, 2020. "
Would you be willing to share how much your rate goes up for every thirty minutes?
Cat Herder 05:45 AM 09-30-2020
This is what I am toying with for 2021.

"Tuition rates are based upon the total number of hours available per week and chosen departure time, not attendance.

To give families more control of their personal budget, Grace Gate Childcare and Preschool offers three tuition schedules to choose from.

You may choose which schedule works best for your family upon enrollment and change with a 30 day notice.

Early arrivals and late pick-ups will be billed at $1.00 per minute.

Overtime must be pre-arranged and approved.

A: Departure by 3:30 pm – 42 Hours - $145.00 week

B: Departure by 4:30 pm – 47 Hours - $155.00 week

C: Departure by 5:30 pm – 52 Hours - $165.00 week

* Earliest arrival time is 7:30 am. *"

Consideration should also be given to the fact that the more you limit your hours, the more you limit your time/space percentage that effects how much you can write off.
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 09-30-2020
Would you be willing to share how much your rate goes up for every thirty minutes?
It increases by $10 every thirty minutes.
I don't offer daily rates. I don't offer discounts for siblings or partial days etc... My rate is weekly. period.

If a parent needs a 3:30 pick up M-Th but on Friday they need a 4:00 pick up the weekly rate is calculated for the 4:00 pick up.

Less confusion and less math on BOTH sides.
They are free to pick up at 3:30 or leave child until 4:00 every day as they paid for that time.

Luckily all my families work the same schedule so I don't have a lot of weekly rate adjustments. Most choose one pick up time and that's it. I know it isn't always that way for all families but so far it's worked great for me.

I don't care what time they drop off (although I require them to tell me). Once I get to work and the first child is here it doesn't matter as I am on the clock.

I only care what time they are picking up and my day ends and I can go home.
Ariana 07:53 AM 10-01-2020
I have parents that don’t seem to care and just pick the most expensive option!! 9.5-10 hour days no matter what so I am going to have to reduce my hours.
Cat Herder 07:59 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have parents that don’t seem to care and just pick the most expensive option!! 9.5-10 hour days no matter what so I am going to have to reduce my hours.
Same here but it is an excellent way to raise my rates without push back.
Ariana 11:55 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Same here but it is an excellent way to raise my rates without push back.
It is great but I mostly wanted to be done earlier
Tags:burnt out, contracted hours, contracted hours vs open hours, parents - disrespect, respect, sliding scale
Reply Up