Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB hurting himself at naptime!
littlemommy 10:54 AM 08-03-2011
I have a 10 month old DCB who completely rubbed his nose raw by rubbing it on the side of the pack n play. When he gets tired, he rocks on his hands and knees. Lately he's been going to the front door and rocking his head against the door, so that is my cue to put him in his room in a pack n play for nap. I don't know how to fix the problem, because that is the only place I have for him to nap. If I put blankets over the side, he'll pull them off. Any suggestions?
Cat Herder 11:00 AM 08-03-2011
How about pulling the pad out of the pack-n-play and using it as his nap mat on the floor?
littlemommy 11:04 AM 08-03-2011
He wouldn't stay put. If he can see or hear anyone else, he screams and clings onto me. I've tried having him lay on a blanket before, and he just crawls away screaming.
Cat Herder 12:07 PM 08-03-2011
Here they have to transition to a mat by 12 months so I have that quite often. Once they are able to climb out of it they are too old to be in it according to manufacturers guidelines (and my States rules).

The truth is it is hard, repetitive work and only a supervised naptime will fix it.

Every time he gets up you quietly lay him back down. No discussion, no emotion...just put him back. When there is no reward for the behavior, it typically stops.

It will most likely take a week or two.
SilverSabre25 12:22 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
The truth is it is hard, repetitive work and only a supervised naptime will fix it.

Every time he gets up you quietly lay him back down. No discussion, no emotion...just put him back. When there is no reward for the behavior, it typically stops.

It will most likely take a week or two.
I had this method work with a dcb last fall. He was 18 months and quite capable of climbing out of the pnp. I'm not licensed (legally) and don't have regs to follow, and didn't have mats/cots yet. It was a grueling couple of weeks to get him to stop getting up, and then another couple of months of staying there watching him until he fell asleep, but now he's one of my best nappers and has transitioned to a cot (that I finally got in April) and doesn't even get off of it until I come get him.
littlemommy 01:08 PM 08-03-2011
hmm...those are going to be hella rough weeks! I'm not worried at all about him crawling out. He is super tiny for his age and barely even stands while holding onto something. He's a screamer. Lately, he'll cry even when he's not tired, just because he doesn't want to be by anyone.

His mom uses the cry-it-out method at home, so that's what he is used to. She also puts him in a pack n play and he rocks himself. The nose thing happened here though, and she almost acted upset with me about it.
Tags:nap - supplies, naptime - requirements, naptime routine, supervision - active vs. passive, transitioning - naps
Reply Up