Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Do A Monthly Special Activity (That Parents Pay For)?
newtodaycare22 09:56 AM 12-28-2011
We have a Rolly Pollies in my area, which is essentially a children's gym. It has a great free play slot that costs 10.00 for one hour. One of my parents bought each kid an hour for their Christmas present, so we went a few weeks ago. It was awesome! I'd love to incorporate it into our monthly routine-one Friday a month. If I divide out the cost of that, it'd raise my rate by 2.50 a week, which is a silly amount. Do you think parents would mind paying a flat out monthly 10.00 fee for gym time? We also do one special field trip a month, which usually ranges from free-8 dollars (Farms, puppet shows, etc,) and they pay for those.

I'd love any advice of how to approach the fee so that I'm not paying for it.
CheekyChick 10:00 AM 12-28-2011
I would send home a form asking the parents to sign/return if they would like their child to attend the gym once a month. I would ask them to pay the extra $10.00 on the FIRST of the month so you don't have to worry about getting paid. For those who can't afford it, you might have to pay for those children to attend.
busymommy0420 10:07 AM 12-28-2011
I have three families that I do field trips with their kids and they have always provided the funds. We are doing the drop in gym which is $2.75 per child each time. We did the Mall to see Santa and ride the merry go round and have lunch at the parents expense, museums, the zoo & build a bear. I also just signed my daughters up for ballet and asked the parents to sign their daughters up too. We will all do the class together starting in January. I think most parents would like their children to have these experiences. I would!!!
Meyou 10:16 AM 12-28-2011
My parents pay $60 every 10 weeks per child for a weekly music class with no problem. They also pay for field trips.
queenbee 11:25 AM 12-28-2011
We have a gymnastics class that we attend twice-monthly. It's $5/per class for each child and I bill parents the extra $10 at the beginning of the month with their weekly tuition.

It's a requirement for getting into my daycare. The only exception is tiny infants who don't start the class until 6 months. I've never had a parent complain - they're always so happy that their child is getting something extra and fun at daycare.
Abigail 11:14 PM 12-28-2011
I think it's a huge plus to offer things like this. For those who do, do you transport? I'm worried about having to transport kids and don't want too. We do have a local gym place that does weekly 1-hour sessions for 8 weeks for $86 the first time, then $68 if the same child goes again even if it's a year apart. I guess they call the difference in price a registration fee.

If you enroll 6 or more kids this place will come transport you and the kids. I wouldn't be able to do that because my enrollment is 7 and now all the kids will be the same age to enroll. sad. I wish we had more opportunities in our city.

For the original question, I would ask the parents to pay a separate fee. You'll have to decide whether you'll pay for some if they don't or if you'll pay for an assistant if some can go and some can't. Think of all the things you might run into and come up with answers.
Sprouts 11:33 PM 12-28-2011
DID YOU ASK THE GYM IF THEY GIVE ANY SPECIAL DISO****S FOR A FELLOW LOCAL BUSINESS AND POSSIBLE ADVERTISEMENT IN YOUR DAYCARE OR WEBSITE
Meyou 03:12 AM 12-29-2011
We bus to our library group, walk to the beach and our music class comes to us which is a lovely bonus.
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 12-29-2011
My pre-schoolers all attend a 30 minute swim lesson at the YMCA. The Y busses them there and back. They attend every Tues and Thurs.

The lessons are offered on a monthly basis and are offered year round. The parents do have to pay an additional fee for this (cost depends on whether the family has a membership at the YMCA or not) but is offered to all members and non-members.

We live in the land of 10,000 lakes so it is a vital skill that ALL children should have IMHO. 99% of all my families choose to enroll their child in these lessons.
littlemissmuffet 08:25 AM 12-29-2011
What an awesome Christmas gift to you and your kiddos! I love thoughtful parents like that!!

I personally pay for our field trips out of my own pocket (do about 6/year). If I were to ask for parent's to pay, I would just implement an additional non-refundable yearly fee (or in your case, monthly) of x amount of dollars to help cover the costs of such outings. I can't see parents having an issue, but if they do, I would just let them know that their child will not be included on the field trips and cannot be dropped off at daycare until AFTER the outing on those days..... a week's notice will be provided.

Most school field trips are paid by parents, otherwise the children are not included... why should daycare be any diffrent?
kathiemarie 08:35 AM 12-29-2011
I take mine to dance class every week. All of the parents had to agree to this for it to work. The dance studio bills the parents and the parents pay the bill.
newtodaycare22 10:13 AM 12-29-2011
Thanks of the advice. I asked my families yesterday and 5 of the 6 immediately responded YES YES YES. lol One still hasn't answered me yet and she was the major one I was concerned about. If she honestly couldn't afford it, I'd pay for it. In fact, another family agreed to help cover the costs for another kid if they needed it (The one who gave us the present to the gym...so nice). But this family CAN afford it. Brand new truck, new diamond ring, but the only family I ever have to charge late fees because they don't have the money on time, forget the check, etc...you know the kind
daycare 10:25 AM 12-29-2011
I run a program called community in the classroom. We are out of the DC when I am running the program at least 3 days week. Often there are times that the parents will need to pay a portion of an event we are going. However, this is in my contract and they are aware of it from day one.

There is a limit of $10.00 per month, which we can do about 3 or more activities with this amount. Some parents really cant afford any more than that. Especially if they have two or more kids.

I do think that spending a whole $10.00 on one event is quite a bit, however, that's just me.

Maybe you can call the place and see if you can qualify for a group discount.
Tags:activities, field trip costs
Reply Up