Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>I Got My Books From AMAZON!
thecrazyisout 11:05 AM 03-14-2011
So last week I had some questions about Preschoolers and putting toys away! I can't remember who recommended these books, but I am reading them in the evenings and they are so helpful.

I would recommend them if you don't have them:

Positive Discipline; the First Three Years

and

Positive Discipline; For preschoolers!

Thank you for the recommendations! I am already using some of the adivice and today is running so smoothly. It is amazing what a little bit of advice can do for your day!
daycare 11:08 AM 03-14-2011
yeah I got mine too. I actually got it the day after I placed the oder...
I have only read the first few pages, but great reading so far..
SunflowerMama 11:34 AM 03-14-2011
I just ordered the preschool one. What are some of the techniques from the book you are using that are proving helpful? I'm getting the book for use with my twins girls (almost 4). We're having a few problems with constant interrupting, problems listening and obeying and time outs are really not working very well so I'm always open to trying something new.
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 03-14-2011
Are these the new recommended "Approved" techniques??

I ask because our Regs now only tell us what we CAN'T do but offer no things we CAN do... I am told to "just stick to redirection and you should be fine" Nothing like a concrete answer, right?

I will be eagerly awaiting a review of the book and whether or not the new techniques actually work for you.

FTR, I am not being sarcastic, argumentative, or leading... Pinky Swear!!

I LOVE learning new techniques from people who ACTUALLY do this job everyday. Not theorists or trainers... YKWIM??

I read the books, too...don't get me wrong. It just is not as relevant as actual experiences, IMHO.
daycare 11:41 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Are these the new recommended "Approved" techniques??

I ask because our Regs now only tell us what we CAN'T do but offer no things we CAN do... I am told to "just stick to redirection and you should be fine" Nothing like a concrete answer, right?

I will be eagerly awaiting a review of the book and whether or not the new techniques actually work for you.

FTR, I am not being sarcastic, argumentative, or leading... Pinky Swear!!

I LOVE learning new techniques from people who ACTUALLY do this job everyday. Not theorists or trainers... YKWIM??

I read the books, too...don't get me wrong. It just is not as relevant as actual experiences, IMHO.
I agree with you 100%, but I bought it in hopes that it can teach me ways of dealing with my own little guy as well as hoping for a better understanding of children.

I'll give you some feed back when I make it past page 8...lol

BTW I never think y ou are being sarcastic or argumentative...

I love this site, different opinions and ideas from all cultures and walks of life. We can either take it or leave it....
MommyMuffin 12:08 PM 03-14-2011
I love the birth to 3 book. I havent bought the preschool one yet.
The best advice from the birth to 3 book that I got was about infants.

From the book Positive Discipline Birth to Age 3 by Jane Nelsen

(Help Your Infant Develop A Sense of Trust
- Meet all your babies needs in the first 3 months of her life.
- Learn the difference between needs and wants.
- Avoid pampering (have faith in children to handle not receiving all wants).
- Learn about developmental needs (social, intellectual and physical).
- Learn parenting skills (including long range results of what you do.)
- Have confidence and trust in yourself.
- Enjoy your child.)

This has helped me with my 6 month old and knowing that if all his needs are met and he is still upset I dont have to blame myself and feel like a bad care giver. It is actually good for him to learn to self soothe!
Lilbutterflie 08:52 AM 04-07-2011
I was searching for the Positive Discipline books and realized there was one titled Positive Discipline for Childcare Providers by the same authors. Has anyone read this book yet? What do you think?
WImom 09:11 AM 04-07-2011
I'm currently reading the preschooler one while waiting for the kids to fall asleep at nap each day (got it at the library). Loving it so far.
thecrazyisout 11:33 AM 04-07-2011
I did not know this. I just finished the positive discipline book for the first three years and I love it. The preschoolers one is next. I will look it up! Thanks for the info!
Tags:book suggestions, discipline, discipline - positive, positive, preschool, preschoolers
Reply Up