Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Townhouse rules
Unregistered 06:58 PM 05-25-2015
I've been licensed for 4 years. The rule book from when we moved in didn't have any rules about businesses. I recently found out they added no businesses to the rules. I go on walks and am outside a lot. A person from the association saw me out and about and said it's against the rules to have a business. She doesn't know where I live exactly. What would you do? I have three families. Would you go down to one family and not be licensed? Thanks for your thoughts!
daycare 07:09 PM 05-25-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've been licensed for 4 years. The rule book from when we moved in didn't have any rules about businesses. I recently found out they added no businesses to the rules. I go on walks and am outside a lot. A person from the association saw me out and about and said it's against the rules to have a business. She doesn't know where I live exactly. What would you do? I have three families. Would you go down to one family and not be licensed? Thanks for your thoughts!
What state are you in ?
Unregistered 07:11 PM 05-25-2015
I'm in MN
daycare 07:14 PM 05-25-2015
I would look at your fair housing rules. I'm in California and a home daycare does not qualify as a home based business.
spedmommy4 08:59 PM 05-25-2015
You may also want to determine if you are grandfathered in under the old rules. Under my hoa rules, we were not subject to most of the new rules they created.
284878 05:05 AM 05-26-2015
Have you read the update rules?
Sometimes daycares are excluded from that. Sometimes current biz is grandfather in.
NightOwl 08:11 AM 05-26-2015
Yes, I agree you may be grandfathered in. If you lived there and worked there prior to the rule changes, they may not apply to you. Definitely check with fair housing.
permanentvacation 08:28 AM 05-26-2015
You may be grandfathered in. Or you could say the kids are all your neices and nephews. You can't be told you can't have family over.
TomCopeland 08:34 AM 05-26-2015
Here's an article I wrote about this that might help: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2013/...e-tenants.html
Blackcat31 10:30 AM 05-26-2015
I'm in MN
I am not positive but IIRC, there is a licensing rule stating you must have your landlords permission to run a child care out of a rental unit.

I will find the regulation and post a link. If you aren't able to get your landlord's permission (I think licensing forms require all the landlords contact info) you may have to cease doing so.

Do you think your landlord would be open to your child care business?
Unregistered 10:57 AM 05-26-2015
I didn't see where she said she's renting, but for sure I'd see what the new association rules are. If she only has 2 or 3 may not be considered a business. One of my neighbors watches her 4 grandchildren, how do they know she doesn't babysit for her kids, or a friend.

I would keep the current families until you get something in writing. And when you were on a walk why did that person take it upon themselves to tell you that? Just curious how that came up or if they knew you did childcare.
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 05-26-2015
I didn't see where she said she's renting, but for sure I'd see what the new association rules are. If she only has 2 or 3 may not be considered a business. One of my neighbors watches her 4 grandchildren, how do they know she doesn't babysit for her kids, or a friend.

I would keep the current families until you get something in writing. And when you were on a walk why did that person take it upon themselves to tell you that? Just curious how that came up or if they knew you did childcare.
LOL! I just read Tom Copeland's link and went off that... it's about landlords...

As for caring for kids without a license....not okay in MN. You can care for ONE family but no more. Fines can be as much as $200 per day per child, depending on your area.

I wouldn't risk that. If a person went that route and was caught, they would not be eligible to be licensed.

Babysitting has specific definitions and according to some Home Owner's Associations babysitting is also considered a business.
Unregistered 07:23 PM 05-26-2015
Thanks for the info. I own this townhome and will NOT be caring for kids without a license. The rule states no businesses trade, occupation or profession of any kind, whether carried on for profit or otherwise. We found a document with this info dated 2009 and I started 2011. I know other people do daycare here. Our rule book didn't have this.
Reply Up