Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Ben And Jerrys Ice Cream
Oneluckymom 09:20 AM 09-22-2011
I was wondering what your opinions are on the new ice cream flavor "Schweddy Balls." Will you buy this and how would you address any questions from your children? Personally we really are not big ice cream eaters in my house, but I find the name for this ice cream offensive. Are we really becoming a society that now has to even turn ice cream into something derogatory?
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 09-22-2011
I kinda think it is funny. Isn't that exactly what Ben & Jerry's is known for? They seem to be very good at using words to make funny......kwim?

If I was concerned about what the kids thought, I would either buy another kind or not show them the label I guess. The really young ones can't read anyways so...just my opinion though.
Cat Herder 10:03 AM 09-22-2011
I think it is funny, too... It was a great morale booster at the local volunteer fire dept recently.

IMHO, Not everyone has or wants children, so it is not fair to push our agenda on them, YKWIM? Karamel Sutra has been out for a while....

It really takes an older kid to even get it and by then they have read enough filth on bathroom walls for a lifetime...
daycare 10:17 AM 09-22-2011
lol..some of you guys know that I am English as a second language and it took me for every to figure out what that meant as I read it....

I think its so funny.... See in my county where I am from you would never see anything like this ever. You would never even see a picture of a woman without full clothes on. So to me this is very america....and I think its great that anyone can say what they want and put it out there for the world to enjoy or not........lol

I am going to go buy that for my husband....I am sure he knows of it, but he can take it to the fire dept and get a few kicks... You know they have to bring ice cream once a month....hahah thanks for sharing
SilverSabre25 11:40 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I think it is funny, too... It was a great moral booster at the local volunteer fire dept recently.

IMHO, Not everyone has or wants children, so it is not fair to push our agenda on them, YKWIM? Karamel Sutra has been out for a while....

It really takes an older kid to even get it and by then they have read enough filth on bathroom walls for a lifetime...
This. besides...not everyone that has kids, even kids who can read, even goes down the ice cream aisle of the store. The filth in commercials these days (have you seen a Victoria's Secret commercial lately?!) is worse than an ice cream name that, if I'm reading it right...sounds more disgusting than anything else?
SilverSabre25 11:52 AM 09-22-2011
roflmao if you have a gutter brain, can appreciate humor that is clean and suggestive at the same time, and it's still naptime, you should totally watch the SNL clip on which the ice cream is based.
Oneluckymom 12:35 PM 09-22-2011
I agree with you guys that the younger kids are not going to know how to read. My son is 6 and can read...I can just see him now as I scoop ice cream sounding it out in 5 seconds and saying "mom, that says shweddy balls"! I guess I'm very conservative when it comes to raising kids. I just want them to be as innocent as possible for as long as possible. I dont even watch the tv in front of them. If the tv is on its pbs or nickjr. When they're asleep I do adult shows including the news.
Although, I can see the ice cream appealing to adults. But I think its suggestive even for an 8 year old. Would you want your son in a grocery store or other public place to say "Mom my balls itch or My balls are sweaty!" By making ads like this isn't it saying its ok to say these things.
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I agree with you guys that the younger kids are not going to know how to read. My son is 6 and can read...I can just see him now as I scoop ice cream sounding it out in 5 seconds and saying "mom, that says shweddy balls"! I guess I'm very conservative when it comes to raising kids. I just want them to be as innocent as possible for as long as possible. I dont even watch the tv in front of them. If the tv is on its pbs or nickjr. When they're asleep I do adult shows including the news.
Although, I can see the ice cream appealing to adults. But I think its suggestive even for an 8 year old. Would you want your son in a grocery store or other public place to say "Mom my balls itch or My balls are sweaty!" By making ads like this isn't it saying its ok to say these things.
I totally see your point but the reality of it is the boys at the age of 6-8 ARE the ones who find this type of humor the funniest. I would absolutely not condone that type of behavior in front of me but if anyone has a son or brother or male in their life, then they will tell you that sort of humor happens no matter how hard moms, dads, teachers, authorities or whatever try to put a stop to it. They just do it in private. kwim?
AfterSchoolMom 01:54 PM 09-22-2011
If you're offended by it and don't want to be scooping it out and having your child question it - don't buy it and there will be no problem. I'm not trying to be rude at all, but to me it's the same thing as R rated movies, music with questionable language, or even less overtly offensive things like SpongeBob or the Captain Underpants books (which have both been debated here at some point) - if you don't want your child to be exposed to it, then don't bring it into your home, or partake of it when they're asleep or not around. It's up to each parent individually to decide what is or is not acceptable for their children.

Personally, I think it's funny too. I'm thinking of buying some just to have the container, because that skit is hilarious and they're only offering it for a limited time.

Oh, and for the record - I have an older son, and "balls" would be preferable to some of the other words that he can come up with. He learned those words in school, not from home.
daycare 02:16 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
If you're offended by it and don't want to be scooping it out and having your child question it - don't buy it and there will be no problem. I'm not trying to be rude at all, but to me it's the same thing as R rated movies, music with questionable language, or even less overtly offensive things like SpongeBob or the Captain Underpants books (which have both been debated here at some point) - if you don't want your child to be exposed to it, then don't bring it into your home, or partake of it when they're asleep or not around. It's up to each parent individually to decide what is or is not acceptable for their children.

Personally, I think it's funny too. I'm thinking of buying some just to have the container, because that skit is hilarious and they're only offering it for a limited time.

Oh, and for the record - I have an older son, and "balls" would be preferable to some of the other words that he can come up with. He learned those words in school, not from home.
we have a rule...what is said at home stays at home.. If you have questions about anything you always wait until we get home and know that you are always welcome to ask anything without fear of punishment....No just walking around saying it will cost you, but I'd rather my kids ask me then ask a stranger or a friend.
Michael 02:31 PM 09-22-2011
Anyone wish to comment on what it tastes like? I've never ordered it.
Cat Herder 02:36 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Anyone wish to comment on what it tastes like? I've never ordered it.
Whoppers, vanilla ice cream and rum....
KEG123 02:54 PM 09-22-2011
Mmm... I want to try it. And I think it's kinda funny. It's only for a limited time anyways. I want to try it.
Michael 02:55 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Whoppers, vanilla ice cream and rum....

Rum? Real rum? I thought it had gum balls or something like that in it.
daycare 03:04 PM 09-22-2011
darn and I cant eat ice cream....it actually sounds yummy like jamican rum cake icecream...lol plus whoppers (is that candy?)
SilverSabre25 03:53 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
darn and I cant eat ice cream....it actually sounds yummy like jamican rum cake icecream...lol plus whoppers (is that candy?)
yep daycare, it's candy--Whoppers are malted milk balls. I loooove Whoppers.

I can't eat it for a variety of reasons, namely malt (gluten) and ice cream (dairy). Sounds totally yum though.
Cat Herder 05:30 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Rum? Real rum? I thought it had gum balls or something like that in it.
There is rum in the vanilla ice cream and sort of a rum liquor filling in fudge balls.

Then the malt balls coated in chocolate.

Two flavors of Schweddy Balls if you'd like....
laundrymom 05:39 PM 09-22-2011
I'm sooo laughing!!!! And!! I'm buying it!! Tomorrow!! Lol swalls ice-cream. Lololol. Omg! This is Soooo going to go in the camper freezer!!!!!
BusyBee 06:32 PM 09-22-2011
It is hilarious!!! My daughter would not even ask about the name. She doesn't ask about any of the other names. She just wants to know what is in the ice cream!

If people are worked up over ice cream--they need to get a hobby or get a life.
Oneluckymom 08:25 PM 09-22-2011
Well, thanks everyone for your opinions. I know it's just ice cream, but I just wanted your opinion on the name. Maybe I just take things too seriously and I'm overly paranoid about parenting "right" that I forget to relax a little. Thanks again...who knows I may try the ice cream..lol !
sharlan 09:54 PM 09-22-2011
I don't really see the issue here.

My 3 yo and 4 yo come up with some pretty gross comments that I know doesn't come from their parents or here.
Country Kids 07:10 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
we have a rule...what is said at home stays at home.. If you have questions about anything you always wait until we get home and know that you are always welcome to ask anything without fear of punishment....No just walking around saying it will cost you, but I'd rather my kids ask me then ask a stranger or a friend.
I was standing in the aisle of a grocery store talking to my sil and my daughter, her friend, and my nephew come up (knew way to much at young age) and asks "Whats a vigin"? I go into heart failure, glare at my nephew, and calmly blurt out-A song by Madonna. I was in panic, mode and didn't know what to say. They were pretty young still (in lower elementary school). I never expected that question in the canned fruit isle at the grocery store- Not even the correct song title but the closet I could think of in a moment of panic.
Maddy'sMommy 08:57 AM 09-23-2011
I think it's funny, but my child is only 11 months, so she can't read. lol. I'm more worried about the things her Dad and his friends say around her by accident. They are 100 times better than before she was born, but I still need to remind them.

Kids are going to hear/see stuff you are uncomfortable with, but you can't control the world, you can only control yourself. If a company does something to offend you, don't buy their product.
laundrymom 09:55 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I was standing in the aisle of a grocery store talking to my sil and my daughter, her friend, and my nephew come up (knew way to much at young age) and asks "Whats a vigin"? I go into heart failure, glare at my nephew, and calmly blurt out-A song by Madonna. I was in panic, mode and didn't know what to say. They were pretty young still (in lower elementary school). I never expected that question in the canned fruit isle at the grocery store- Not even the correct song title but the closet I could think of in a moment of panic.
Lol. I would have said " a fancy drink without alcohol. Lol"
daycare 11:26 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
lol that is soooo funny! You gotta love kids... so pure and honest...
Solandia 05:37 AM 09-26-2011
I am going to have to buy it, the Schweddy Balls skit is one of my dh's top ten from SNL. He would think it is hilarious.

We have Schweddy Balls occasionally, that is what we call our swedish meatballs, in honor of SNL. Yeah, we are immature. LOL
nannyde 06:01 AM 09-26-2011
I don't know how they got thru that skit without loosing it.

I think it's hysterical. I heard about the skit on the Actors Studio Alec Baldwin episode and looked it up on NBC.

Ben and Jerry's just rock.

I love their Willie Nelson peach ice cream. Oh yummmmmmmmmmmy
JenNJ 10:19 AM 09-26-2011
I think it is funny! Anyone who doesn't like it is under no obligation to buy it or any other B&J's ice cream. I personally think the boycott idea is INSANE. People in the US (in general) are WAY too uptight. Learn to take a joke folks!!
Sugar Magnolia 11:48 AM 09-26-2011
So I guess we should boycott Cherry Garcia too because Jerry was a heroine addict. And also boycott Cluster Fluff because that's some serious inuendo too. Phooey!!! I love Ben and Jerrys and one of my families is a francisee! Personally, I love me some Shwetty Balls, they melt in your mouth! Yum! LOL!
Kaddidle Care 01:19 PM 09-26-2011
It made me chuckle when I saw the new flavor. Love the SNL skit and nothing for naught - it's not kid ice cream. It's adult stuff! (At least not the way my kids go through ice cream.)

I might buy it for a joke for my hubby and me to eat one night. It would be a splurge - not something I buy all the time at all.

B&J's could probably care less what people think - don't forget they're from Vermont and Vermont folks.. do as they like and do for others - they are a rare breed.

A friend from Vermont brought his Golden Retriever into a local Diner. A snooty vacationing woman walked in and got in a huff - "You allow DOGS in here?" The owner (who evidentally looks like the cook from Beetle Bailey) http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_14J2dEsfIG...ey+5-27-10.gif
took one look at her and said "Hey - he's a local - you don't like it, leave."

Buy it if you think it's funny or sounds tasty - if you don't, don't buy it.
nannyde 03:34 AM 09-27-2011
http://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=2...=m&z=4&vpsrc=6

Help me find Schweddy Balls

Google Map Locator
KEG123 05:59 AM 09-27-2011
On one of the more recent SNL, Alec Baldwin was the host and he was talking about the shweddy balls controversy and he said they should go try out this new flavor called "Go fudge yourself"

Here is the full episode, just go to the "intro" part around 13 minutes in.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/282343/sat...win#s-p1-so-i0
Tags:funny, ice cream
Reply Up