Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifier Weaning
Sprouts 06:38 PM 01-08-2013
I watch a little girl about to be two and needs a pacifier to sleep. This is the 1st child I've watched that has needed it. The last two days I have tried weaning her off ( her teeth are getting very crooked) and her parents said they would try at home too....

So to the point, today ....she was screaming her head off, didn't really want any type of comfort, just wanted her paci I gave in....I know....but I couldn't bear it, and the other toddler was trying to fall asleep as well...so please any helpful advice would be helpful thanks
LaLa1923 08:25 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I watch a little girl about to be two and needs a pacifier to sleep. This is the 1st child I've watched that has needed it. The last two days I have tried weaning her off ( her teeth are getting very crooked) and her parents said they would try at home too....

So to the point, today ....she was screaming her head off, didn't really want any type of comfort, just wanted her paci I gave in....I know....but I couldn't bear it, and the other toddler was trying to fall asleep as well...so please any helpful advice would be helpful thanks
How old is she?? Honestly, a lot give it up on their own. My guy got up one day and never aasked again. How was a little over 2.5 ..... I didn't want him to turn to his fingers... he only got it when he slept
MamaBearCanada 05:44 AM 01-09-2013
We just went through this with my daughter (2.5yrs) over Christmas break. The first 3 days were rough but it's been fine since then. The key was finding a comfort/transition item to replace the soother. It will probably need to be something she chooses/wants. For my daughter it was a little soft doll. We told her that her Soothers went to a baby girl that needed them.
Willow 06:19 AM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:

I'd let him self wean, but if his parents aren't on board with that and want you to pull it then do so and next time don't give in! Guaranteed he'll scream louder and longer than he did yesterday now that he's learned if he does eventually you'll give in, be prepared for him to do his worst lol

Maybe try to wean him onto a lovie?
Play Care 06:25 AM 01-09-2013
I tell parents that I only do self weaning for comfort items so if they don't want them to have something here then it needs to be excluded from the get go. Like you I only allow them for naps so it's not as if they are going everywhere with them (yuck!). When I first started out I had a parent talk me into trying to wean their child from the paci for naps and it was a nightmare. She screamed and wouldn't sleep and no one else could either. No thanks.
grandmom 07:17 AM 01-09-2013
I'd suggest the parents wean on a long weekend. No paci, none. Then when they are successful for the whole weekend, you can be too and it won't be so hard on the other kids.

Unfortunately, she now knows if she screams loud enough and long enough, she will get it. Be prepared, the next time you do this, it will be louder and longer.
Sprouts 08:04 AM 01-09-2013
Thank you all for the great advice, they are going to see doc on Friday for two yr check up so I told them to ask his opinion based on her teeth and stuff
jokalima 09:15 AM 01-09-2013
I have 3 - 2.5 yr olds, one is mine and all of them use paci for nap times. I am trying to wean mine off but is just so difficult so I only let him have it for nap time or when he is in bed. Some experts have told me ( kids therapists) that is ok for them to have them for naps at this age, some even have told me that they will let go when they are ready. I am just not that bothered about it anymore.
bunnyslippers 11:50 AM 01-09-2013
I don't think this is your worry at all. If her parents haven't started weaning it, then I don't think you need to even approach the subject. give it to her at naps and don't make it your problem. It is a parenting decision, and if they want to wean her, they need to start it at home over an extended break. I feel pretty strongly that this is an issue that is up to the parents, not the provider.
Tags:pacifier weaning
Reply Up