Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Enrollments Yet 8(
Abigail 10:16 PM 12-09-2011
I've been "open for business" for full time and part time care during the day for OVER a month now. I've had two interviews from referral and one more family who knew me and was going to enroll two infants.

So I never heard back from the first interview for an infant...my "last" infant spot since I was suppose to get two infants from someone I knew from before I opened my daycare. Then two weeks go by and I interview for a family of two older boys full time/half time for the pre-schooler and felt the interview went wonderful and we connected. I was looking forward to hearing that I'd gotten my first official enrollment, but checked my email tonight and they decided to stay in their own school district. Lastly I was suppose to start a family of two who knew me from before but something came up last minute and it's been put on hold.

Overall, I've been out of work for a month, no paycheck. Today was going to be my first paycheck since kids were going to start Monday. My daycare plan of getting kids right away failed. Why is it that I can interview for babysitting and start babysitting the next day but when someone looks for daycare they seem to play a game?

I know it's only two interviews (from people I didn't know prior) and the situation with the kids who were suppose to start is unlikely, but for a new provider it is hard to want to continue trying. I feel like I've lost my spark, but I know nothing is wrong with me or my home or my rates so I'm trying my best to keep my chin up and wait for the holidays to pass. I'm thinking people don't want to switch or look for daycare until the new year.

In the mean time I'm cleaning the house and trying to decorate for Christmas. I don't have an extra dime to spend and I've never been so financially stressed before. Even the food program called me today to ask if I meant to submit a claim for one child only one day of the month. LOL That actually did make me laugh, but I only have one drop in. I guess they don't send out $2 checks often!

I think this weekend I will drive around and hand out more business cards if I can get a smile on my face. It should be a nice day weather wise at least. Do you think I should try to offer discounts? I require a deposit for two-weeks and also charge average rates for ages 2+, but higher rates for infants. Mostly because I don't want many little ones I want to be able to go out without needed a quad stroller, lol.
Tags:advertising, enrollment, food program, starting daycare
Up