Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Policies Time of Year.....
MissAnn 09:13 AM 07-02-2014
I need to make decisions about teachers.....keep in mind I do need to cater a bit to teachers since there are 2 programs in my little town who are geared towards teachers. Teachers do not pay for any holidays, vacations or breaks. I Usually have at least 1/2 teacher's kids.

So....last year I had in my policies that if you did not need childcare in the summer you could pay 1/2 price. I didn't realize that made un-teachers want to save a dime and get grandma to watch their kids.

So...this year I'm thinking of taking that paragraph out of my policies and adding it to a separate teacher's contract.

Do you think this is fair to those who are not teachers?

Also, last year I gave a vacation week to everyone. I don't want to do that this year. I have 1 paid and 1 unpaid vacation. Giving them a free week means I don't really have a paid vacation.....and I deserve it!

I am thinking of letting teachers have fall and spring break at 1/2 price just like summer.....and that would be included in their separate teacher's contract.

What do you think?????? Just remember....if I don't cater a bit to teachers....I will not have very many kids.

I thought about charging a higher per week rate for teachers that would include the cost of fall/spring/summer breaks but I don't know what to do if either I or they term......would I owe them money since they are sort of prepaying for those breaks?

Thanks for any help!
Leigh 09:48 AM 07-02-2014
I charge a yearly rate for everyone. For teachers that don't want to pay full price for summer, charge them 1/2 rate for summer, then raise your rate by adding that other half spread out over all 12 months. If you go up $20 a week for your rate, bank that money to help cover their summer absence. And NO WAY should you tell them that they are prepaying for absence! Don't make a deal of it, and don't feel that you owe them money-you should get your full rate year round!
MissAnn 09:57 AM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I charge a yearly rate for everyone. For teachers that don't want to pay full price for summer, charge them 1/2 rate for summer, then raise your rate by adding that other half spread out over all 12 months. If you go up $20 a week for your rate, bank that money to help cover their summer absence. And NO WAY should you tell them that they are prepaying for absence! Don't make a deal of it, and don't feel that you owe them money-you should get your full rate year round!
No...I would not use that terminology....but in a sense that is what they are doing. If I charge full time for all those breaks I will not have teacher's kids. Charging them 1/2 price plus more over the school year would be a deal breaker. This is a small town and even though I don't discuss what others pay....they all discuss it any way. So....that would not work. I might just keep the 1/2 price for the breaks and not put that in my policies......but in their contracts.
SignMeUp 10:12 AM 07-02-2014
Have you considered doing all of your vacation at half pay, instead of splitting it?

And "all fees are non-refundable" would take care of "would I owe them money". If they make a choice to leave ... they make it knowing your contract and policies.

(I know that doesn't address your main issue though.)
MissAnn 10:32 AM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Have you considered doing all of your vacation at half pay, instead of splitting it?

And "all fees are non-refundable" would take care of "would I owe them money". If they make a choice to leave ... they make it knowing your contract and policies.

(I know that doesn't address your main issue though.)

I'm a little brain dead.....but do you mean all of the parents vacations? Or do you mean My vacation?
TwinKristi 10:35 AM 07-02-2014
This all really breaks down to number calculations that none of us can really gauge for you. What are the others doing that cater to teachers without losing money? Are there other jobs in your town besides teachers? I don't have a single teacher client or one type more than another. All the parents have different jobs and have the same contract. I definitely think you need to have a separate teacher contract if you want to offer only that group 1/2 pay for breaks and summer or as you can see, people take advantage. Personally- I wouldn't give anyone a free week of nothin! It's only shooting yourself in the foot IMO. Most people are getting a paid vacation when they're on vacation from work, why shouldn't you? OR to make it easier, still offer them a free week of vacation but you get to take 2 weeks off paid, so you're still getting a week paid and they're not having something taken away.
SignMeUp 11:38 AM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I'm a little brain dead.....but do you mean all of the parents vacations? Or do you mean My vacation?
I meant yours. It's less confusing (one paid, one unpaid) and financially nets the same amount. I know it's not your main issue though.

I also let parents go as low as 1/2 for summer. It used to work well for me. I also had a lot of teachers, and I had fewer bills in the summer so less income wasn't a big deal. I liked having the smaller group/less work, and the knowledge that they'd be back in the fall.

However, times have changed, and I now have almost the same expenses summer and winter, so I am not so happy about this. And here, most young-mother-teachers got laid off every year, got frustrated and found other employment. I have not changed my policy yet, but haven't found a good solution yet either. I currently only have a couple of teachers. But no one else has cut down on their days for summer either, so it hasn't been a pressing issue for me.

Hopefully some genius here will give us good ideas Good luck
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 07-02-2014
Instead of having a separate contract for teachers (which I think is unfair as other families should be allowed the option of not pay/coming in the summers too) have you considered offering a couple different options to ALL families?

That way the family can pick which option works best for them.

Something like:

Option #1

Pay $xx rate 52 weeks a year regardless of absences
No free days/weeks

Option #2

Pay $x rate each week regardless of school breaks/off days
Summers at 1/2 price and spot held for next year

Option #3

Pay $x for ALL school days
NO attendance on school close days, or summer
Pay holding fee for space in fall

And then adjust your rates for each option verses having to adjust them for teachers only.

Set it up so that the rate is equal to what a full time family would pay for the year (minus your vacations/non-charge days) and let families choose which plan works best for them.

IME, I've had teachers want to use every day, all week, all year and teachers families who never attended on no school days but still came part time in the summer and teacher families that used a combination of all of the above.

I don't think you are going to be able to make one policy for teachers because all teachers seem to have different needs/wants kwim?
AmyKidsCo 02:55 PM 07-02-2014
I've never tried it, but I've heard of providers offering something like what Blackcat recommended.

I should probably do something like that because for the 2nd year in a row I've had a family give notice early enough so they're out before my paid vacation.
CraftyMom 03:22 PM 07-02-2014
I need to figure this out too. Maybe blackcat's idea.

I have 2 new teachers' infants, one starting in Septmeber, the other is not definite.

One wants to come all year, even vacations and has no problem paying to hold her spot if she decides to keep baby home some days during the summer. Not a problem.

The other is not a definite yet, but right away doesn't want to pay for summer or school vacations. I told her she would have to pay for the summer unless I could find a summer replacement (not likely)
Meeko 04:13 PM 07-02-2014
For some reason this subject always gets me irritated!

It has become the general consensus that teachers are special snowflakes that must be offered special deals etc. WHY???

MANY people work seasonal work and yet they don't automatically expect/demand special treatment during their non-working/slow times.

MOST seasonal workers do not get pay of any kind during their "slow" time. Teachers either get paid over the summer as per normal, or they get a higher rate during the school year and no pay over the summer......but either way..TEACHERS DO NOT GO WITHOUT PAY.

So they are still getting their FULL pay one way or the other and yet expect their daycare provider to hold a spot for either NO pay or half price etc.

That rubs me the wrong way on so many levels. Why should the provider be out of pocket?????

I understand that your situation may demand being flexible to teachers, even though you shouldn't be.

BlackCat's option is a good one. Offer several choices, but each one should mean YOU don't fund a teacher's summer fun out of your own pocket!
MissAnn 04:33 PM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
For some reason this subject always gets me irritated!

It has become the general consensus that teachers are special snowflakes that must be offered special deals etc. WHY???

MANY people work seasonal work and yet they don't automatically expect/demand special treatment during their non-working/slow times.

MOST seasonal workers do not get pay of any kind during their "slow" time. Teachers either get paid over the summer as per normal, or they get a higher rate during the school year and no pay over the summer......but either way..TEACHERS DO NOT GO WITHOUT PAY.

So they are still getting their FULL pay one way or the other and yet expect their daycare provider to hold a spot for either NO pay or half price etc.

That rubs me the wrong way on so many levels. Why should the provider be out of pocket?????

I understand that your situation may demand being flexible to teachers, even though you shouldn't be.

BlackCat's option is a good one. Offer several choices, but each one should mean YOU don't fund a teacher's summer fun out of your own pocket!
I totally agree with everything you said.....wish there was a perfect answer!

This is what gets me.....in my situation. The teachers who come to me want more than what they were getting in the programs that cater to teachers. I have a very good reputation for quality and getting kids ready for kindergarten. I used to work in the school system and that's how teachers first knew me.

Well guess what? I am $20 less per week than those programs. Parents have to provide lunch too.....but here I provide awesome lunches.

They JUST can't get over paying 1/2 price for breaks, paying me for my vacation or Holidays. They want special....because teachers are SOOOOOOO special.....so underpaid......and deserve so much more.

What about us????? We just want to be paid! Not special........just paid!
MissAnn 04:36 PM 07-02-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I meant yours. It's less confusing (one paid, one unpaid) and financially nets the same amount. I know it's not your main issue though.

I also let parents go as low as 1/2 for summer. It used to work well for me. I also had a lot of teachers, and I had fewer bills in the summer so less income wasn't a big deal. I liked having the smaller group/less work, and the knowledge that they'd be back in the fall.

However, times have changed, and I now have almost the same expenses summer and winter, so I am not so happy about this. And here, most young-mother-teachers got laid off every year, got frustrated and found other employment. I have not changed my policy yet, but haven't found a good solution yet either. I currently only have a couple of teachers. But no one else has cut down on their days for summer either, so it hasn't been a pressing issue for me.

Hopefully some genius here will give us good ideas Good luck
I used to have my summer vacation my paid vacation. We'll......I have very little enrollment then.....so it was a joke. So, I switched them! I get paid more keeping it this way. M.
Leigh 05:38 PM 07-02-2014

This is what gets me.....in my situation. The teachers who come to me want more than what they were getting in the programs that cater to teachers. I have a very good reputation for quality and getting kids ready for kindergarten. I used to work in the school system and that's how teachers first knew me.

Well guess what? I am $20 less per week than those programs. Parents have to provide lunch too.....but here I provide awesome lunches.

They JUST can't get over paying 1/2 price for breaks, paying me for my vacation or Holidays. They want special....because teachers are SOOOOOOO special.....so underpaid......and deserve so much more.

Perhaps they would understand things put differently. I tell everyone that my rate is $XXXX per year, and give them the option of deciding whether to pay weekly, every 2 weeks, twice a month (1st and 15th paydays) or monthly. I would explain to teachers that you are paid a salary just like them. Ask them straight out whether they would like to pay a higher rate 9 months or a lower rate 12 months. I wouldn't give the option of anything different. After all, they don't take a 1/2 pay hit in the summer when they are off work. I understand that it is scary for you to do, but no way would I take less just because.
SignMeUp 06:20 PM 07-02-2014

I may or may not have had some discussions with people (though not teachers) about the idea that teachers are underpaid. And that so much comes out of their income to supply their classroom.
I mean, I kind of understand. But. I don't earn, after expenses, what the teachers whose kids come here make.
And don't talk about the extra time they put in either

It is, of course, all done through my own choices. And I do own that.
For the most part
Reply Up