Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fending Off Fatigue
momofboys 11:00 AM 08-28-2010
This past week was my first week working FT since summer break (when I only provided care part-time). And wow, was I blown away! I really don't even have that many kids. I have my own 3 kids (two who are SA, one is home with me all-day). The family I care for has 1 SA & one toddler. So during the daytime I just have 2 right now. Of course this family arrives about 6:30 so it's almost 2 full hours of before school care before heading to school. But I feel wiped out! I am trying to relax & exercise during the 2 hrs that my son & the other toddler nap but I am pretty tired even with doing that. In about 4-5 weeks I will begin watching an infant. I'm wondering how I will ever feel well rested. Is this normal? FYI I do not get as much sleep as I should, probably only 6- 6 1/2 each night; I need to get myself to bed by 10:00-10:30 but so far only manage to get to bed by 11:00 or 11:30. I am not overweight but could stand to lose 10-15 pounds. Is it normal to feel fatigued/tired after caring for kids for 9-10 hrs. I don't recall feeling this way last year but this is the first school year I've had arrivals before 7:00 - normally my old family came at 7:30 or so.
MN Mom 01:48 PM 08-28-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
This past week was my first week working FT since summer break (when I only provided care part-time). And wow, was I blown away! I really don't even have that many kids. I have my own 3 kids (two who are SA, one is home with me all-day). The family I care for has 1 SA & one toddler. So during the daytime I just have 2 right now. Of course this family arrives about 6:30 so it's almost 2 full hours of before school care before heading to school. But I feel wiped out! I am trying to relax & exercise during the 2 hrs that my son & the other toddler nap but I am pretty tired even with doing that. In about 4-5 weeks I will begin watching an infant. I'm wondering how I will ever feel well rested. Is this normal? FYI I do not get as much sleep as I should, probably only 6- 6 1/2 each night; I need to get myself to bed by 10:00-10:30 but so far only manage to get to bed by 11:00 or 11:30. I am not overweight but could stand to lose 10-15 pounds. Is it normal to feel fatigued/tired after caring for kids for 9-10 hrs. I don't recall feeling this way last year but this is the first school year I've had arrivals before 7:00 - normally my old family came at 7:30 or so.
Totally normal. During the school year my hours were 6:15 - 4:45. I have 4 of my own kids, 3 of which are SA. My family had 1 FTSA and 1 PTSA and a baby (now 10 months old). I had maximum 3 kids during the day, and was exhausted! During the summer months, I had my 4 + 3, but the final 3 weeks of care (which ended Friday) I had my 4 + 3 + 4. 11 kids, 8 of them SA, one 2 year old, one 10 month old, one 2 month old. I was no more exhausted than I was during the school year.

I think, like you, I didn't allow myself much sleep. I was in bed at 11:30, asleep by 12:30 and up by 5:30 every day. It was the hours of awake vs. sleep that was making me tired, not all the children. Problem is, I'm a night owl. The mornings, a zombie. I have to have AT LEAST 1 pot of coffee in the am to wake up.

What helped me toward the end, was to stop coffee after 11am. I drank water, milk, and juice (mostly water) the rest of the day. At night, I would make myself a hot cup of chamomile tea. That really seemed to relax me to where I didn't need an hour to fall asleep. I also started walking my dogs 2 miles 3x a week, and the exercise really helped me feel more ready for bed at the end of the day. My husband thinks it's silly to walk our dogs, who have free range of 10+ acres..but I like the company..that and I think THEY are walking me instead of the other way 'round
[email protected] 04:44 PM 08-28-2010
totally normal, Im 38 yrs old, 50 pounds overweight, and I work 4am to 6 pm with 10 full timers aged 4 mo to 4 yrs and 3 afterschoolers, plus my own 4 aged 19-9. coffee just before lunch helps me. =-)
DBug 05:37 PM 08-28-2010
Getting enough sleep makes a HUGE difference! Also, I find that every time I start a new child or routine (ie summer break), I am absolutely exhausted for the first week or two. Once I get used to the change though, I'm fine.

Don't worry, you'll settle into this routine and you'll be fine ... until you start watching your new infant . If I were you though, I'd make sleep a big priority.
katie 06:09 PM 08-28-2010
Yes, normal! I have 4 of mine and 2 dck. I'm trying to get those last 10-15 baby pounds off. But when I get the kids settled to nap or do something quiet I'm so tired! Then there is always something I need to do like laundry. Excuses! I need to do it. I also need to go to bed earlier too. I am also a night owl. I mean to go to sleep by 10 but it is always 12. I feel your pain!
caitlin 06:21 PM 08-28-2010
Try melatonin. I have trouble unwinding at night and take one 1/2 hour before I go to bed and fall asleep quickly. If I sleep 5 hours or 9 hours I wake up refreshed and ready to go.
Charity 10:34 AM 08-29-2010
Well I was the same was as you... no energy and not to mention a lil over weight. I was gragging booty and wanting to take a nap when the kids did. Well I have started taking my Spark again and feeling much better. Not to mention it helped with the few more pounds I needed to lose.....
momofboys 03:41 PM 08-29-2010
Originally Posted by Charity:
Well I was the same was as you... no energy and not to mention a lil over weight. I was gragging booty and wanting to take a nap when the kids did. Well I have started taking my Spark again and feeling much better. Not to mention it helped with the few more pounds I needed to lose.....
What's Spark? Curious. . .

Thanks everyone for the advice. I know it will take a while to get used to a new schedule, etc. I am going to continue with exercising 1/2 hr day at least 3-4 days a week. I think that should help (I hope!!!) & going to attempt to be in bed by 10:30 tonight. DCF does not arrive until 7:00 on M-W & Th/Fri they get here about 6:30 am so if I get up at 6:30 I'll get 8 hrs of sleep. Sounds heavenly to me.
professionalmom 09:19 PM 08-29-2010
I think it is probably just the adjustment period. However ... is there any chance you might be hauling around a little extra something? When I hear (or read) about fatigue, I immediately think b a b y. Before I even got a positive home PG test with this pregnancy, I was struck with the worst fatigue. And for good reason, I'm carrying twins! If a baby is not possible, then I would say it's the change in the routine. I am a night owl too and have a struggle to get to bed at a decent hour. Also, age may be playing a small role in it. I am only 35 and I know that each year my energy seems to be a little less than the previous year. I'm not saying you're old, just that each year brings tiny changes in hormones and energy levels. Oh, to have the energy of a 20-year old forever!! Try a little coffee, but only in the morning to get you going. I always had to doctor mine up with sugar and milk. Love the smell. Can't stand the bitterness. But, I am off the coffee until my girls get here, they don't need the caffeine - they kick all day and night!
professionalmom 09:21 PM 08-29-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
My husband thinks it's silly to walk our dogs, who have free range of 10+ acres..but I like the company..that and I think THEY are walking me instead of the other way 'round
How about, "I'm taking the dogs with me for protection"? I would think people would be less likely to mess with a woman with dogs.
tenderhearts 06:37 AM 08-30-2010
Oh my goodness, this is me. Ever since I've had 2 kids here at 6:30am which put me at getting up almost 1 1/2 hrs earlier has really done me in. I am not over weight and do workout some (not every day but some) and I'm so fatigued. I usually snap out of it around 11 ish but oh boy as soon as all the kids are sleeping and if I sit down, I can barely get back up. I dont' sleep well at night at all so I think that's my problem it's terrible and some times can really make the start of your day really off. I'm going to look into the melatonin someone mentioned. Does anyone know of anything "natural"?
MN Mom 07:20 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
How about, "I'm taking the dogs with me for protection"? I would think people would be less likely to mess with a woman with dogs.
Where I live, I'm not even remotely worried about protection. I live in the country in MN. I know everyone in my community (we are all farmers) and my closest neighbor is a quarter of a mile down the road. I go walking in the pitch black of night to enjoy the stars and moon, and have never had an issue. Yes, the dogs would protect me fiercely if I ever had a problem though.

As far as something natural to help you sleep...I seriously recommend Chamomile Tea. I swear by it!

Try this: Take a hot bubble bath (with lavender scents, candle light a bonus) to start the relaxation process and then have a cup of Chamomile Tea w/ a touch of honey for taste. You can even have the bath WHILE drinking the tea! I swear by this method. It always works for me.

Cheers!

~Rachael
Tags:fatigue, melatonin hormone, tired
Reply Up