Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Sending Out Statements
cillybean83 09:36 PM 01-16-2011
I sent payment receipts and summaries out to the daycare families I had in 2010, and I handed them out 2 weeks ago to the families I currently care for.

As some know, I'm having a bit of a legal issue with a past client due to her not paying for services....well she had some lawyer send me a scare tactic letter asking me not to file a suit against her, blah blah blah...it's a bit silly since I haven't taken any sort of legal action, yet she hired a lawyer! lol

Anyhoo, I sent her payment stuff via certfied/return receipt requested mail since I don't trust her as far as I can throw her and I wanted proof that I sent her tax info to her.

She hasn't received it yet since I haven't gotten the signature card back, but my hubby is freaking out saying that I could get in trouble if she gets something in the mail from me after her lawyer sent me a letter asking me not to pursue the money I'm owed...

I told my hubby that it can't be an issue because

1. I have to give her her tax stuff before the end of January, it has nothing to do with the nonpayment, it's just receipts, and

2. I don't think it matters that she paid some lawyer to send me a letter, because I haven't filed yet!! I don't see how it would matter one way or another if I mailed her tax info even if I had known she talked to a lawyer because it isn't like I attempted to make contact with her, I don't need anything in return from her, and it didn't happen after I filed legal paperwork

GAH!!! All of this is so annoying! I was wondering what you guys thought, do you think it will matter that she receives tax info from me even though I plan to sue her for money she didn't pay?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:05 AM 01-17-2011
This is just a personal opinion, I'm not a professional, but I don't see why it would be any issue at all...as providers we are required to send the tax info postmarked by Jan. 31st.

I'm assuming the statement only included payments paid by her so she only files what she paid you.
kendallina 06:09 AM 01-17-2011
I also can't see why it would be a problem at all. You're just doing the right thing.

But, I'm almost positive in Tom's book he says we are not required to send anything to families regarding what they paid us last year. Obviously, it's the nice thing to do and if they request it, we have to, but I don't think it's required unless they request it.
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 01-17-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I also can't see why it would be a problem at all. You're just doing the right thing.

But, I'm almost positive in Tom's book he says we are not required to send anything to families regarding what they paid us last year. Obviously, it's the nice thing to do and if they request it, we have to, but I don't think it's required unless they request it.
I think Kendallina is right...we are NOT required to send parents anything. We are only required to fill out the tax form W10 (?) ONLY if THEY bring it to us to have it filled out. Otherwise, it is not our responsibilty and if we do choose to give our parents any kind of end of year statement it is a courtesy and not a requirement. I do it, but in your situation cillybean, I wouldn't stress about it.
TomCopeland 08:31 AM 01-17-2011
You did nothing wrong in sending out your tax statements to this parent. Don't worry about it.
The other provider comments are correct in saying that there is no requirement that providers send parents tax information by January 31st.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:36 AM 01-17-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You did nothing wrong in sending out your tax statements to this parent. Don't worry about it.
The other provider comments are correct in saying that there is no requirement that providers send parents tax information by January 31st.
Really, I didn't know that...I'm on page 116 of the Seventh Edition so maybe I haven't got to that information yet, or I missed it...I was told by someone else verbally that we had to. I'm glad to know this information, I thought we HAD to.
TomCopeland 12:45 PM 01-17-2011
Keep reading. See chapter 8.
daycaremommy 05:35 PM 01-17-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Keep reading. See chapter 8.
i had several drop ins this year...none are over 40 dollars do i need to send them their w-10
TomCopeland 07:47 AM 01-18-2011
You should give end of year receipts and your identification number to all parents who used your program, regardless of how little they paid you.
Tags:tax statements, taxes
Reply Up