Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to Tell Other Parents?
Malmom 04:02 PM 07-01-2014
I plan on terming a family as soon as I find someone to replace them. I've been done with them for a while now, and this week has just been icing on the cake.

My parents have all been great in referring other people to me. That's how I have most of my clients. I'm so thankful for that. But it also presents a problem seeing as the mom I want to term is friends with 2 other parents.

How do I advertise this spot without letting them know that the opening is because I am letting their friend go? They all know I'm full, so they will ask who is leaving. What do I say?
TickleMonster 04:08 PM 07-01-2014
I tell the truth, briefly, of why the family is leaving. I've had parents who are here because of referrals from other parents. In cases like this, I sit down privately with the parents who are friends with the family I am terming and quickly let them in on what is going on and bluntly ask them if they will be leaving me for the decision. All of my parents have stayed after I've let one of their friends go but I'm always honest with them before I start advertising.
Sugar Magnolia 04:40 PM 07-01-2014
How are you planning on advertising? Just by telling folks you have an opening? If so, maybe find another way to advertise?
permanentvacation 06:38 PM 07-01-2014
I had that problem when my parents would refer me to their friends/co-workers. I would have to worry that if I terminated one family, would their friend pull their child that I wanted to keep out too just in spite. I would worry that if a current parent referred their friend and I decided on the interview that they would not fit well here, would I lose the family that referred them. I honestly would rather advertise in the paper and get random people that don't know each other. I also stopped taking neighbor's kids as well. If you take a neighbor's child and then have problems in daycare, it will likely cause uneasy feelings when you and that neighbor are outside in your own yards at the same time, and they might start rumors about you with the neighbors.

So, in answer to your question, I would not tell any of the parents. I would call the local newspapers and place ads. I don't feel that you should tell any of your clients about any of your other client's business. Even if you know they are friends. I think, even though we didn't take an oath, that we should maintain daycare provider/client confidentiality; it's just more professional.
Heidi 07:15 PM 07-01-2014
I'd just advertise, and if anyone asks, tell them there are some changes happening, but you're not ready to talk about it. Followed by something like "no worries" if they are not the family being termed.
starz0123 08:09 PM 07-01-2014
A good reason why it's a good idea to interview even if you have no spots that way no awkwardness as current families know you interview for spots on waiting list. Advertise & not say anything if it does get mentioned tell parents you want to be well prepared with a good healthy waiting list should one of them leave
renodeb 03:13 PM 07-02-2014
How would they know you are advertising? None of my parents know when I do unless it's them asking if I have a spot for a friend of theres. I agree with others, be honest with them.
Deb
AmyKidsCo 03:19 PM 07-02-2014
If they're such good friends they'll find out from her eventually.

I'd let the parents know there will be an opening available by __________ date AFTER you give the family notice. If they ask why just tell them you can't say why because of confidentiality.
Reply Up