Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Transitions
Unregistered 06:45 AM 01-18-2018
What are the signs you look for to know if a child is ready to transition to a single afternoon nap? If you switch at a certain age, this question isn’t for you.
Homebody 07:22 AM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What are the signs you look for to know if a child is ready to transition to a single afternoon nap? If you switch at a certain age, this question isn’t for you.
It starts to take them longer and longer to fall asleep for their morning nap, or there are sometimes they don't fall asleep at all. In my experience it can take about a full month to completely transition, where some mornings they will need a nap and some they don't. When they don't fall asleep for a morning nap I may put them down earlier for an afternoon nap then what I do for the older kids. So, my normal nap time is 1:00, and if they have a hard time making it until then I will put them down around 12:00 or 12:30. I don't go cold turkey with them, I kind of gradually get them to my normal afternoon nap time.
storybookending 08:30 AM 01-18-2018
I just switched my youngest dub with the new year. He is coming up on 14 months. I echo what the PP said in that it takes awhile to fully transition. Yesterday he was falling asleep at 10:30. I managed to keep him awake until the time the older ones nap but a few other days I could not. Signs that he was ready was that his morning nap was getting shorter and shorter without really affecting his moods come afternoon until we were able to eliminate it all together(at least almost, we are getting there). I also moved up the big kids naptime the first week or so to have them all napping at once. I did it coming off of the Christmas break so my older kids needed the earlier nap time as well. My second oldest dck switched to one nap by 11 months. A lot of the difference in age between these two were morning wake times and time spent in daycare as well as how well they slept at night.
Ariana 09:39 AM 01-18-2018
I start giving them a shorter morning nap and see how they do. So I go from an hour to half an hour and then push them until afternoon nap. If they are struggling I will go back to an hour. If they do fine I keep it at a half hour, then 20 minutes then skip. Usually when I skip I will put them down for nap a bit earlier and then gradually get them on schedule.

It does depend on the kid though. Some kid require a lot more sleep and some kids are up all night at home so it depends on what is going on with the kid. I just transitioned a 2 year old to one nap!
Reply Up