Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wipe Or No Wipe?
Heidi 08:10 AM 04-18-2013
My MIL watched me change baby boy, and noticed that I didn't wipe him with a baby wipe (he was wet). So a discussion followed.

Do you wipe after wet diapers or only when they have a b.m.?

My kiddos rarely have rashes here, btw.

I do use a wipe if they are "sopping wet" or smell like urine, and of course, with bm's.
Childminder 08:17 AM 04-18-2013
Only if soggy or poopy. Urine is sterile.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 04-18-2013
Yeah, I swipe everyone's bum with at least one wipe per change.

Even if they aren't wet.

I personally have sensitive skin so I just treat everyone like they do too.

I didn't use to though. I used to just change them all assembly line fashion...one right after another with barely a pause in between.

As I got further into this (around the 5th year), I started wearing gloves, washing/sanitizing the changing mat between changes and using wipes every single time.
MN Day Mom 08:25 AM 04-18-2013
I wipe everyone with every diaper change... if for no other reason, to at the least get the pee smell off of his body.
LK5kids 08:31 AM 04-18-2013
I never used to, but always do now.
Meyou 08:34 AM 04-18-2013
I wipe them every time. Even though it's dried I feel like they are still covered with urine and it's yucky.
blandino 08:35 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Me too !
NeedaVaca 08:48 AM 04-18-2013
I always wipe. I use toilet paper myself after I use the bathroom, I wouldn't just pull up my undies I give the kids the same courtesy.
Country Kids 08:56 AM 04-18-2013
Wipe definetly!

Like pp, I wipe when I go to the bathroom and even though he is a boy, because he was in a diaper its on his skin. Why not give that feeling of being clean and fresh.

I would be upset as a parent if I found out my child wasn't being wiped down even if they just had a wet diaper.

Would you have a child wipe down that had an accident if they were in underwear or just leave them and have them change into underwear?
Rubysmom 08:58 AM 04-18-2013
I wipe everyone too.
allsmiles 09:07 AM 04-18-2013
i always use wipes when the diaper is changed whatever is down there LOL
hey while on the subject..do any of your states require washing the kids hands after diaper changes like texas does?? what are some of your strategies for the young ones.. not looking forward to that part of my annual inspection ughhhh..
youretooloud 09:08 AM 04-18-2013
I don't wipe.
daycarediva 09:17 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by allsmiles:
hey while on the subject..do any of your states require washing the kids hands after diaper changes like texas does?? what are some of your strategies for the young ones.. not looking forward to that part of my annual inspection ughhhh..
Yes but if they can't reach the sink, we can wash them with a washcloth or wipe. Easy peasy.

I use wipes on daycare kids (regulation) but I didn't always with my own kids. What's in the wipes is worse than sterile urine, imho.
momofsix 09:17 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Wipe definetly!

Like pp, I wipe when I go to the bathroom and even though he is a boy, because he was in a diaper its on his skin. Why not give that feeling of being clean and fresh.

I would be upset as a parent if I found out my child wasn't being wiped down even if they just had a wet diaper.

Would you have a child wipe down that had an accident if they were in underwear or just leave them and have them change into underwear?
I do wipe them all now, didn't used to. Never did my kids if they were in disposable. I think it's different with diapers (disposable) because there are no drips or actual wet spots on the skin because the diaper soaks it all up. with underwear there's urine all over the skin-the child is all wet.
Meeko 09:34 AM 04-18-2013
I wipe every child at every change and every child gets a quick dusting of powder too. I love the way it makes them all smell fresh.
Starburst 09:39 AM 04-18-2013
I usually do. The mom of the boy I watch now instructed me to wipe him after a wet diaper because he has very sensitive skin and is prone to rashes there. Also even though it is sterile it is technically still the elements of all the toxins that our bodies have acquired that it's trying to get rid of (just like feces in liquid form, but not the bacteria because our digestive tract needs bacteria to function) and we can absorb toxins through our skin (like we absorb UV rays from the sun). It may not cause serious illness but it could cause irritation which could mean a fussy baby. Plus I think of it this way: don't you wash your hands after you use the bathroom or change a wet (but not soiled) diaper?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine:
"Healthy urine is not toxic.[6] However, it contains compounds eliminated by the body as undesirable, and can be irritating to skin and eyes. After suitable processing it is possible to extract potable water from urine."
Crazy8 09:45 AM 04-18-2013
always a wipe! Regardless of how sterile urine is it still stinks and everyone can use a little freshening up down there after sitting with that wetness against their skin!
Play Care 09:55 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
I wipe everyone with every diaper change... if for no other reason, to at the least get the pee smell off of his body.

jokalima 10:00 AM 04-18-2013
I do wipe girls all the time, boys only if they are really wet, if they are dry I don't and never had a smelly problem or rash because of it.
Starburst 10:03 AM 04-18-2013
We watched a video on sanitizing child care homes and centers in a health/safety class and it said to either make sure that you are close to a sink when you change diapers (but not where you prepare food) or it said you could always wear gloves but you would have to change it with each child to avoid cross contamination of bodily fluids; but could be costly and bad for the environment.

Maybe if you want to be clean but still be green (financially and environmentally speaking) you could get some of those reusable dish/house cleaning gloves (they have them at the $1 store) and have one specifically for each kid in diapers; you could have different colors for each kid or write their names on the gloves and keep it in their diaper cubby/diaper bag. Just make sure you only use the one pair for that child and that you wash them with soap and water after diaper check (or maybe with a cleaning or bleach solution or boiling them once a week). You may still have to wash your hands after every change them but it would be good to have for particularly messy diapers or if you want to avoid as much direct contact with diaper content as possible- especially if you have a sore or cut on your hands.

The only problem is you may want to try to avoid latex gloves in case of latex allergy which could cost a little more but they would probably be more durable too.
http://www.amazon.com/each-Clean-Nyp...d_sim_sbs_hg_4

They also have special tables for diaper changing with a sink but they are over $1,000 and it seems like you would have to have it connected to a pipe.

They also said something about using a plastic or porous surface (like the type of material nap mats are made of) for changing diapers so you could wipe them down easily after or using one of those one-use paper sheets like they have on doctor exam tables (again kinda wasteful and could be costly). If you use a plastic changing mat you may want to have a quick dry disinfectant spray (like Lysol) to temporarily sanitize between changings when bleach is not available. Or have blankets/towels/rags that's on the bottom changing part that is provided for each individual child to make sure there is no cross contamination and just wash them at the end of the day.

But then again make sure that your state regulations allow it.
MamaBearCanada 10:12 AM 04-18-2013
I always wipe.

Urine is NOT sterile

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/762048

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0409164156.htm

Even if you don't agree that these studies debunk the myth the tradiational view that it is sterile only holds true if the child is not sick. You would not know before diagnosis if a child had a UTI or other bladder problem in which case there would be a lot of bacteria on their body if you didn't clean of the urine. Plus I just think it's cleaner and probably feels fresher.
rmc20021 10:18 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Urine is only sterile until it's exposed to the air and then bacteria can grow. Actually, it doesn't even have to be exposed to the air. If it just sits inside the kidneys without being expelled it can lead to bacterial infections also.

I ALWAYS use wipes at diaper changes...even if they are not wet.
mamac 10:19 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I wipe every child at every change and every child gets a quick dusting of powder too. I love the way it makes them all smell fresh.
Out of curiosity- do you use talc powder? When my son was an infant (5yrs ago) I read some articles saying that it shouldn't be used on infants due to cancer, infertility and inhalation dangers. Being a new mom I stopped using it even though I loved the way it made him smell "baby fresh".

And to answer the question, I wipe for wet only after the first morning diaper or after naps, where they have been in a wet diaper for a longer period of time. Middle of the day wet diapers usually don't get a wipe.
melilley 10:21 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
We watched a video on sanitizing a child care facility (for homes and centers) in a health/safety class and it said to either make sure that you are close to a sink when you change diapers (but not where you prepare food) or it said you could always wear gloves but you would have to change it with each child (could be costly and bad for the environment). But the good thing about gloves is you don't have to wash your hands as much which means less dryness of the hands (which means less dry cracks in the skin that can trap germs) and it could also save time by not having to get up and wash your hands for 20 second after changing each kid.

Maybe if you want to be clean but still be green (financially and environmentally) you could get some of those reusable dish/cleaning gloves (they have them at the $1 store) and have one specifically for each kid in diapers; you could have different colors for each kid or write their names on the gloves and keep it in their diaper cubby/diaper bag. Just make sure you only use the one for that child and the you wash them with soap and water (or maybe with a cleaning or bleach solution or boiling them once a week).

The only problem is you may want to try to avoid latex gloves in case of latex allergy which could cost a little more but they would probably be more durable too.

If you use a porous changing mat you may want to have a quick dry disinfectant (like Lysol) to temporarily sanitize between changings. Or have a towel/rag that is on the bottom changing part to make sure there is no cross contamination.
You have some great ideas, but make sure to check with licensing to make sure you are doing it right so if they come, you don't get cited. Here in MI, for centers, we have to wear gloves at every change and also wash our hands and each child's hands after every change and change gloves after every change. For FCC's we don't have to wear gloves, but are required to wash our hands and the children's hands after every change. Also, we have to have a non-porous diaper changing mat and have to sanitize it after each change either with soap water then rinse water then either bleach water and let it air dry or something like Lysol and it has to be done exactly how the directions say to sanitize. Of course, it's almost impossible to wait for the bleach water/Lysol to air dry if you are doing multiple changes, but when I worked in a center and if licensing was there, they always understood that we couldn't wait that long to change every one if we waited for it to dry.
I do like your idea of having different washable gloves for each child! I wish we could do that here, it would save me lots of money!
melilley 10:23 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Out of curiosity- do you use talc powder? When my son was an infant (5yrs ago) I read some articles saying that it shouldn't be used on infants due to cancer, infertility and inhalation dangers. Being a new mom I stopped using it even though I loved the way it made him smell "baby fresh".

And to answer the question, I wipe for wet only after the first morning diaper or after naps, where they have been in a wet diaper for a longer period of time. Middle of the day wet diapers usually don't get a wipe.
In MI, we can't use any type of powder at all.
rmc20021 10:39 AM 04-18-2013
I don't know what the laws are regarding powders but I do know there was a lot of controversy over the use and decided long ago to never use it when they first started talking about it...never paid attention to it since then as I don't use it.

I also don't like it because it clumps together with the moisture and can also irritate the skin like in the folds of the legs.
Heidi 10:45 AM 04-18-2013
We watched a video on sanitizing child care homes and centers in a health/safety class and it said to either make sure that you are close to a sink when you change diapers (but not where you prepare food) or it said you could always wear gloves but you would have to change it with each child to avoid cross contamination of bodily fluids; but could be costly and bad for the environment. But the good thing about gloves is you don't have to wash your hands as much which means less dryness of the hands (which means less dry cracks in the skin that can trap germs) and it could also save time by not having to get up and wash your hands for 20 second after changing each kid.

Maybe if you want to be clean but still be green (financially and environmentally speaking) you could get some of those reusable dish/house cleaning gloves (they have them at the $1 store) and have one specifically for each kid in diapers; you could have different colors for each kid or write their names on the gloves and keep it in their diaper cubby/diaper bag. Just make sure you only use the one pair for that child and that you wash them with soap and water after diaper check (or maybe with a cleaning or bleach solution or boiling them once a week).

They also have special tables for diaper changing with a sink but they are over $1,000 and it seems like you would have to have it connected to a pipe.

They also said something about using a plastic or porous surface (like the type of material nap mats are made of) for changing diapers so you could wipe them down easily after or using one of those one-use paper sheets like they have on doctor exam tables (again kinda wasteful and could be costly). If you use a plastic changing mat you may want to have a quick dry disinfectant spray (like Lysol) to temporarily sanitize between changings when bleach is not available. Or have blankets/towels/rags that's on the bottom changing part that is provided for each individual child to make sure there is no cross contamination and just wash them at the end of the day.

But then again make sure that your state regulations allow it.
Even with gloves, our state requires us to wash hands before and after each diaper change.
LK5kids 10:51 AM 04-18-2013
Yes, one and older wash hands after diapering with warm running water & soap. Under one can be wiped with baby wipes. I must also wash my own hands before and after changing a diaper. It's a lot of hand washing.
Scout 11:11 AM 04-18-2013
I don't wipe my son's with urine unless it is on his skin. Of course always wipe poopy!
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 04-18-2013
I remember the whole issue with talc and use only corn starch based or talc free powders.

http://www.preventcancer.com/consume...etics/talc.htm
mema 12:14 PM 04-18-2013
I always wipe. When ds was little, I never did. As he got older, I changed and wipe each time.
Starburst 01:31 PM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
You have some great ideas, but make sure to check with licensing to make sure you are doing it right so if they come, you don't get cited. Here in MI, for centers, we have to wear gloves at every change and also wash our hands and each child's hands after every change and change gloves after every change. For FCC's we don't have to wear gloves, but are required to wash our hands and the children's hands after every change. Also, we have to have a non-porous diaper changing mat and have to sanitize it after each change either with soap water then rinse water then either bleach water and let it air dry or something like Lysol and it has to be done exactly how the directions say to sanitize. Of course, it's almost impossible to wait for the bleach water/Lysol to air dry if you are doing multiple changes, but when I worked in a center and if licensing was there, they always understood that we couldn't wait that long to change every one if we waited for it to dry.
I do like your idea of having different washable gloves for each child! I wish we could do that here, it would save me lots of money!
Now that I think about it, I think there was a debate in that class about if you still had to wash your hands after gloves. I think there may have been room for compromise and not breaking the rules if you used hand sanitizer as a temporary hand washer between diapers and glove changes, but I am not 100% sure. I would probably still have gloves available anyway in case of blow outs or in case of accidents with potty training kids (even thought I will wash my hands after anyway, does not mean I want to come in direct skin contact with bodily waste).

ETA:
And I didn't see the part of that question about the children washing their hands. In that video for younger ones they just got a fresh wipey and washed their hands with that as long as they didn't touch Feces. But I think if the child is old enough to stand and hold themselves up you might want to start teaching them to wash their hands so they get in the habit of it later.
pandamom 01:34 PM 04-18-2013
yes, I always use wipes on my sons during diaper changes- even if it's "just" pee.
LoraJenkins 01:46 PM 04-18-2013
I always wipe but do not use store bought wipes. Baby washcloths and plain water only.
Cradle2crayons 01:47 PM 04-18-2013
No, I only wipe pee diapers after naps in boys and girls. My understanding, if you use gloves, you have to wash hands even AFTER you remove the gloves. So personally, if it wasn't required, I most definately would see no point to gloves since I'd have to wash them just as much. As a nurse, I couldn't tell you how hard it was drilled into us that handwashing HAS to occur AFTER you remove those gloves.

Anyway, on the topic, in nursing school we were taught that, unless there is a bacteria in the urinary tract, urine is in fact sterile until it exits the body. It's even on our state licensure exam.

After all diaper changes, I wash hands of myself, and sanitizer for the child unless they can reach my little sink.

Funny thing, nursing school never taught us (neither did any place I ever worked), to wash or sanitize the hands of a baby after a diaper change. ()

Also, school nor hospitals require or even ask nurses to use a baby wipe after a pee diaper....

Just handy info there LOL
Patches 02:13 PM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
In MI, we can't use any type of powder at all.
I don't think we can use it either, in OK
Patches 02:19 PM 04-18-2013
We watched a video on sanitizing child care homes and centers in a health/safety class and it said to either make sure that you are close to a sink when you change diapers (but not where you prepare food) or it said you could always wear gloves but you would have to change it with each child to avoid cross contamination of bodily fluids; but could be costly and bad for the environment. But the good thing about gloves is you don't have to wash your hands as much which means less dryness of the hands (which means less dry cracks in the skin that can trap germs) and it could also save time by not having to get up and wash your hands for 20 second after changing each kid.
\.
We still have to wash our hands even if we wear gloves here.
Starburst 02:33 PM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
We still have to wash our hands even if we wear gloves here.
I realize that, I have posted another comment since.
Patches 02:57 PM 04-18-2013
I realize that, I have posted another comment since.
Sorry, posted that before I read through
Starburst 03:02 PM 04-18-2013
That's okay I edited it to avoid further confusion.
AfterSchoolMom 06:10 PM 04-18-2013
I only wipe for bm and sopping wet diapers (like after nap), or like some have already said, if there's a smell.

I used powder on both of my older children, but don't on my third baby. Though, baby powder is GREAT for sand removal and for when you'll be outside and it's hot and sticky.
Play Care 03:21 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

Anyway, on the topic, in nursing school we were taught that, unless there is a bacteria in the urinary tract, urine is in fact sterile until it exits the body. It's even on our state licensure exam.

This is what I was going to come in to say - but this means as soon as it hits air/diaper, it's no longer sterile (if it even was to begin with) even boys can have trace amount of fecal material left over from a diaper change (I have a little guy now with saggy testicles so it can be challenging to get him completely clean)

I only use one wipe for urine and if I have a lot of kids in diapers I've been known to cut the wipes in half (with a clean sharp knife) to make them last longer.
DaisyMamma 04:57 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Is that allowed? That's a good idea. I think I will check with my state (and parents) to see if it's allowed.

Interesting topic! I didn't respond before. I thought I as weird because I don't always wipe boys after a wet diaper. I only do this if we are outside and need quick diaper changes. The problem is that they start to stink faster when you don't wipe, and with the frequency that children get baths around here, that is not good
Meeko 05:51 AM 04-19-2013

I use the cornstarch baby powder.
Meeko 05:54 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Is that allowed? That's a good idea. I think I will check with my state (and parents) to see if it's allowed.

Interesting topic! I didn't respond before. I thought I as weird because I don't always wipe boys after a wet diaper. I only do this if we are outside and need quick diaper changes. The problem is that they start to stink faster when you don't wipe, and with the frequency that children get baths around here, that is not good
It's allowed here. I use just a little....no clouds of powder!
Reply Up