Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program/Questions
Brooksie 04:36 AM 09-10-2013
As of right now I am not on the food program, all of my parents send lunch/breakfast and I am responsible for snacks. I am currently in the beginning stages of Maryland EXCELS (a 5 tier rating system of quality assurance approved by the state of Maryland). It says that unless I am on the food program I cannot advance past stage 2, so I am seriously considering joining the food program... Here are my concerns/questions:

*What do you do with picky eaters? I have one girl who eats NO veggies, NO fruit and basically lives off of carbs and cheese Would definitely do her some good to have that change but I have a feeling she would just never eat... How do you manage that?

*DD is allergic to Milk AND Soy... That's a serious restriction. How do you manage special dietary issues?

*With the time and money I will be throwing into this and all the extra prep, do you think it's unheard of to raise rates because of it? Even if it is just $5.00 a week or something. I feel like with the time and money it would be saving the parents and also the convenience, that it would worth the small extra tuition fee? Idk... Thoughts?

*What do you do with children that aren't really eating table food or just a small amount? Say 6-12 months. Do you buy baby food for them or still allow parents to bring what they want for that age?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help!
coolconfidentme 05:11 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
As of right now I am not on the food program, all of my parents send lunch/breakfast and I am responsible for snacks. I am currently in the beginning stages of Maryland EXCELS (a 5 tier rating system of quality assurance approved by the state of Maryland). It says that unless I am on the food program I cannot advance past stage 2, so I am seriously considering joining the food program... Here are my concerns/questions:

*What do you do with picky eaters? I have one girl who eats NO veggies, NO fruit and basically lives off of carbs and cheese Would definitely do her some good to have that change but I have a feeling she would just never eat... How do you manage that?

*DD is allergic to Milk AND Soy... That's a serious restriction. How do you manage special dietary issues?

*With the time and money I will be throwing into this and all the extra prep, do you think it's unheard of to raise rates because of it? Even if it is just $5.00 a week or something. I feel like with the time and money it would be saving the parents and also the convenience, that it would worth the small extra tuition fee? Idk... Thoughts?

*What do you do with children that aren't really eating table food or just a small amount? Say 6-12 months. Do you buy baby food for them or still allow parents to bring what they want for that age?

Picky eaters will adjust or go hungry. Do not let them fill up at snack time.

Exceptions are made for children with allergies. A doctor's note is needed.

You may throw away a lot of food in the beginning, but you are reimbursed a set amount per meal & snack.

Infants can have parent provide food or you provide food.

Hope this helps
blandino 06:04 AM 09-10-2013
For pick eaters, I serve the same meal and allow them the choice of whether they want to eat or go hungry. I don't do many combination foods, meaning normally there are 4 seperate food items on the plate, so that if a child is just a carb eater they can AT LEAST just eat the grain.

My food program allows for milk substitutions of coconut/almond milk ion place of cow's milk. And for my DCG with a milk protein allergy, I just serve her alternate proteins when we have yogurt or cheese.

I always just keep the money from the FP in an account just for the food. We have 12 enrolled so the FP reimbursement is enough to cover grocery bills - if it wasn't I would definitely consider increasing rates because regardless of the FP you are now providing meals - which should cost more.

I offer baby food to parents, but of they want to send their own or homemade - that is fine by me. I just have them keep an updated list d what their baby has tried with me, and then I buy from that. Having the already standard meals for the bigger kids makes it easier for me to transition from baby food to table food, instead of waiting on a parent to send table food. I will just I've them the whole food versions of the foods they have already had.
Familycare71 06:06 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Picky eaters will adjust or go hungry. Do not let them fill up at snack time.

Exceptions are made for children with allergies. A doctor's note is needed.

You may throw away a lot of food in the beginning, but you are reimbursed a set amount per meal & snack.

Infants can have parent provide food or you provide food.

Hope this helps

And remember you just have to offer the food- so my picky kids get a very small portion of everything (even what they like) and they must have a no thank you bite before getting more of anything else. If they refuse they got some food but will still be a bit hungry which motivates them next time IMO
I used to be on the food program but found it was easier to just deduct it from my taxes. My state is just starting the star program so I'm sure ill have to be back on it soon
butterfly 06:55 AM 09-10-2013
I agree to all that's already been said. Just wanted to add that the food program contract clearly states that you can NOT raise rates due to increased food costs. You can raise rates, but don't use the food as a reason why. You would be dropped from the program if a parent reported the increase was due to the addition of the food program.
Brooksie 06:57 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
For pick eaters, I serve the same meal and allow them the choice of whether they want to eat or go hungry. I don't do many combination foods, meaning normally there are 4 seperate food items on the plate, so that if a child is just a carb eater they can AT LEAST just eat the grain.

My food program allows for milk substitutions of coconut/almond milk ion place of cow's milk. And for my DCG with a milk protein allergy, I just serve her alternate proteins when we have yogurt or cheese.

I always just keep the money from the FP in an account just for the food. We have 12 enrolled so the FP reimbursement is enough to cover grocery bills - if it wasn't I would definitely consider increasing rates because regardless of the FP you are now providing meals - which should cost more.

I offer baby food to parents, but of they want to send their own or homemade - that is fine by me. I just have them keep an updated list d what their baby has tried with me, and then I buy from that. Having the already standard meals for the bigger kids makes it easier for me to transition from baby food to table food, instead of waiting on a parent to send table food. I will just I've them the whole food versions of the foods they have already had.
Considering my current enrollment I would only be feeding 3 kids right now. My other enrolled is only 9 months and his mom packs his food (still formula and baby food, some table food on occasion). With this being the case and then providing 2 meals and 1 snack, what would you recommend as far as tuition rates being raised? I feel like its going to cost a lot especially as far as time put into preparations.
AmyKidsCo 06:59 AM 09-10-2013
You can use leftovers within 24 hours so when I'm low on numbers I sometimes warm up our family's dinner from the night before. You can't use food that was put on the table, but if it goes from stove to fridge you're good. I figure it saves money twice - we throw out less leftovers and I don't have to buy extra food for lunch. Plus it adds extra variety to our lunches!
Leigh 07:13 AM 09-10-2013

Picky eaters get a little of everything on their plate. If they choose not to eat it, they don't get a special meal prepared for them. I TRY to accommodate SOME picky eating, such as serving California Blend vegetables instead of just broccoli (which can take MANY "tastings" for a kid to accept). Basically, though, you get what you get, and if you don't eat it, you wait for snack time.

Allergic to milk and soy: You can get a doctor's statement stating that the allergy is life threatening (and I think QUALITY of life is enough here), or you may be able to exclude DD from the program. I have the option of excluding my own, and every parent here has that option, too. Some states don't allow that, though.

Infants and table food: grind up what you're feeding the other kids for the infant, or the parents can provide baby food. They have to sign a waiver stating that they refuse what you are offering. I offer to put what the other kids have in the food processor for them-parents usually just provide the food. Same with formula-offer the Parents' Choice formula to the parents, if they want their kids on Enfamil or Similac, they can provide it.

Charging extra? Totally up to you.
melilley 11:17 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
You can use leftovers within 24 hours so when I'm low on numbers I sometimes warm up our family's dinner from the night before. You can't use food that was put on the table, but if it goes from stove to fridge you're good. I figure it saves money twice - we throw out less leftovers and I don't have to buy extra food for lunch. Plus it adds extra variety to our lunches!
I do the same or make extra for the kids the next day. So needless to say, my son sometimes has the same thing 2 days in a row, but he doesn't seem to mind!
blandino 11:33 AM 09-10-2013
Considering my current enrollment I would only be feeding 3 kids right now. My other enrolled is only 9 months and his mom packs his food (still formula and baby food, some table food on occasion). With this being the case and then providing 2 meals and 1 snack, what would you recommend as far as tuition rates being raised? I feel like its going to cost a lot especially as far as time put into preparations.
I don't think $10.00 a week is out of the question. With $30.00 a week, + food program reimbursement , would that be enough to cover your grocery bill for the week ?

I think parents would pay the $10.00 more per week to not have to shop/prepare/pack/remember lunches. That would be a lot of hassle/inconvenience that they would be avoiding.
Brooksie 11:39 AM 09-10-2013
I don't think $10.00 a week is out of the question. With $30.00 a week, + food program reimbursement , would that be enough to cover your grocery bill for the week ?

I think parents would pay the $10.00 more per week to not have to shop/prepare/pack/remember lunches. That would be a lot of hassle/inconvenience that they would be avoiding.
Awesome. I think that would definitely help.
melilley 11:46 AM 09-10-2013

I agree, I would pay that, if I didn't have to bring a breakfast/lunch! I personally hate packing my dd's lunch for school and am so glad when she picks hot lunch! Not that I'm lazy, but I don't like to pack it until the morning and then dck's come and it's just a mess.
Mom2TLE 11:57 AM 09-10-2013
Just remember you can't word it as an increase due to providing food. Maybe as an increase in order to meet benchmarks in your stars program or a supply fee. You do have to offer it to your infant as well I choose to provide parent's choice formula and usually parent's choose to provide their own. I also try to offer the fruits and veggies offered to the older children chopped up for older infants when appropriate. The protein as well.
I believe the allergy does not even have to be life threatening you just have to have a Dr note with recommended substitution
Brooksie 12:00 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
Just remember you can't word it as an increase due to providing food. Maybe as an increase in order to meet benchmarks in your stars program or a supply fee. You do have to offer it to your infant as well I choose to provide parent's choice formula and usually parent's choose to provide their own. I also try to offer the fruits and veggies offered to the older children chopped up for older infants when appropriate. The protein as well.
I believe the allergy does not even have to be life threatening you just have to have a Dr note with recommended substitution
Yea if it comes down to this, which it looks like it will have to, I will pitch it as an increase needed in order to meet the benchmarks that will include joining the food program. But not just because I am feeding them. Just another step in providing high quality child care.
Leigh 12:11 PM 09-10-2013
Really, you could tell the parents that you are no longer discounting for bringing food from home. It was a trial that didn't work out, and you are going back to the previously decided on rate of XXX. I would happily pay $30 a week not to have to pack lunch, myself.
Brooksie 12:16 PM 09-10-2013
Can parents opt to NOT be involved in the food program? Like, if I say that we will be doing the food program and I will no longer be discounting for packed lunches and will be raising my rates $15.00 p/w which will, at 2.5 meals a day, be costing them $1.20 per meal. If they don't want to pay that fee can they say they don't want their child to participate? Or do I have to have all of my kids in care on the program?
melilley 12:23 PM 09-10-2013
Can parents opt to NOT be involved in the food program? Like, if I say that we will be doing the food program and I will no longer be discounting for packed lunches and will be raising my rates $15.00 p/w which will, at 2.5 meals a day, be costing them $1.20 per meal. If they don't want to pay that fee can they say they don't want their child to participate? Or do I have to have all of my kids in care on the program?
No, they don't have to be on the food program.
Brooksie 12:37 PM 09-10-2013
Uh... Idk how this response got here. lol trying to start a new thread... weird. Someone please delete this hahahaha
Reply Up