Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letters Of Recommendation?
kelsey's kids 07:26 AM 11-20-2013
I just posted this in the interview but figured it would be better on its own lol.
How did you all ask your parents to write a letter of recommendation? I had an interview yesterday and the lady ask for my letters of recommendation and I dont have any. I just feel weird asking.
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 11-20-2013
I don't have letters of recommendation but I do have references.

When daycare parents leave my program I have an "exit form" they fill out an on it, it asks if they are willing to be a reference.

I try to use an equal number of past parents (both termed and aged out) as I have current parents that can be a reference for me.
permanentvacation 08:28 AM 11-20-2013
I have never asked for a letter of recommendation. A few of my parents have simply handed me one as they needed to stop coming to my daycare. When someone hands me a letter of recommendation, I am very appreciative and excited that they were so happy with my services that they took it upon themselves to take the time to write a nice letter regarding my childcare business. I don't think it would be appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation.

Now, when you apply for a job, it is common to have to give the name, phone number, and address of 3 references. Maybe you can tell some of your parents that parents you are interviewing with have asked for references and see if your current clients would be okay with either you giving out their number or if they would be willing to call the parents you interview with (that specifically ask for references) to give them a reference. Then you can give your current parent the phone number of the person you are interviewing with.

But to ask for written references seems inappropriate. Maybe if you have some parents who have been with you for a very long time, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to ask them. But then that's putting them on the spot. It would seem to me as if I was asked to provide you with a written essay assignment. I don't know, I would feel weird if someone literally asked me to write a recommendation for them.
melilley 10:43 AM 11-20-2013
I have never had anyone ask for a letter of recommendation before. I have however been asked for a reference (just once though). I just asked a parent if they would talk to the them for me. It was awkward asking her, but I told my dcp that she could call the potential family, but she agreed to let them call her.

I agree with pp, I think a letter is a little much.
melilley 10:44 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't have letters of recommendation but I do have references.

When daycare parents leave my program I have an "exit form" they fill out an on it, it asks if they are willing to be a reference.

I try to use an equal number of past parents (both termed and aged out) as I have current parents that can be a reference for me.
I like the idea of an "exit" form!
SunnyDay 11:54 AM 11-20-2013
I have them on my website. I just sent an e-mail to everyone asking if they would be willing, and most of them e-mailed me back a short letter.
Tags:letters of recommendation
Reply Up