Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No communication
Unregistered 11:11 AM 10-06-2018
I have a 4.5 yr old boy in my care...very aggressive....and physical. I've had to have him shadow me ...pretty much everyday in care...yesterday I witnessed him closed fist punching another kid(which was my grandson) in the back...as he was quietly playing on the floor. I told his gpa at pick up. Gpa..he understood...yet held the child as he cried.. ok.whatever..your parenting style. I sent an txt to mom/dad after all the kids got picked up...they have not called or responded..at all. I see this as blatant disrespect. I will be refusing care Mon am if they do not respond. Just wanted thought and opinions. TIA
kendallina 11:18 AM 10-06-2018
If you prefer a phone conversation with the parents then maybe you should have called them?

Personally I would be put off if my provider sent a text over something that clearly warranted a conversation. But I'm old like that
Unregistered 11:30 AM 10-06-2018
They are young parents and for the first 4 months needed reminders..with late fees for payment...these parents drop and run their child..because !I'm always in the middle of serving breakfast. I say good morning..and...not kidding ..there is
No response. Never ask about kids day..nothing.
Unregistered 11:50 AM 10-06-2018
They are young parents and for the first 4 months needed reminders..with late fees for payment...these parents drop and run their child..because !I'm always in the middle of serving breakfast. I say good morning..and...not kidding ..there is
No response. Never ask about kids day..nothing.
e.j. 01:35 PM 10-06-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 4.5 yr old boy in my care...very aggressive....and physical. I've had to have him shadow me ...pretty much everyday in care...yesterday I witnessed him closed fist punching another kid(which was my grandson) in the back...as he was quietly playing on the floor. I told his gpa at pick up. Gpa..he understood...yet held the child as he cried.. ok.whatever..your parenting style. I sent an txt to mom/dad after all the kids got picked up...they have not called or responded..at all. I see this as blatant disrespect. I will be refusing care Mon am if they do not respond. Just wanted thought and opinions. TIA
Is it possible they think you were just sending an FYI to let them know what happened and maybe don't realize you expect a reply? (I think most parents would understand a reply is warranted but if they're relatively young, they may not.) They may also be hesitant about contacting you on the weekend and plan to speak with you on Monday (Tuesday if it's a long weekend for you). If you didn't ask them to contact you, maybe you could send a follow up asking if they received your text and let them know you'd like to speak with them before day care resumes next week. I know you shouldn't have to take that additional step but....I think I would before I assumed they were being blatantly disrespectful - unless they usually behave in a disrespectful way toward you. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I'd want to avoid an angry confrontation at the door in front of the other parents on Monday morning but that's just me.
racemom 02:14 PM 10-06-2018
Did you ask for the parents to contact you? Reading what you wrote her, I would possibly think you were letting the parents know what happened, and not looking to discuss it. But, you know the parents and your usual practices, and so I cannot say what is right or wrong in this situation.
Ariana 05:47 PM 10-06-2018
The parents don’t care and are avoiding you. So you need to make sure they stop aboiding you. I can guarantee this is not the first they have heafd of him hitting which is likely why they drop him and run and never ask at pickup, they already know. Make a plan to chat face to face next time they come to care and let them know they are on the road to termination if things do not change.
Josiegirl 02:53 AM 10-07-2018
Personally, I would've expected a reply of some kind but not knowing the parents, could be any number of reasons why they didn't get back to you. Some just have no clue. With those kinds of parents, they need a little more of a nudge so you have to be more direct with them. I wouldn't deny care if they don't get back to you but I definitely would make it clear this issue needs to be addressed or child may lose his spot.
Gemma 04:29 AM 10-08-2018
First I gotta say I think you are very brave putting up with such a troubled boy, AND the disrespect of his parents not answering when you greet them. I could not do either for even one full day!
About the text,not knowing what you wrote I agree that perhaps the parents thought you were just letting them know and although rude they didn't think your text called for a reply.
I'm curious to what happen next, please keep us posted!

Blackcat31 06:48 AM 10-08-2018
I think this type of behavior (especially since it's become an issue) warrants a sit down conference with the parents or termination.

As for not responding to your text and not knowing how you worded it exactly, I doubt the parents are being disrespectful because you said they rarely respond when greeted in person so it seems to be just how they are and unless you specifically said something in the text about them needing to reply I don't think it's something to get upset about.

I also wonder how much emotion is involved being the injured child is your grandson... Just the fact that you mentioned it in your post says it IS a factor.

Also want to mention that I don't think the grandfather did anything wrong either....it's not his child nor his place to "parent" so his parenting style has nothing to do with this situation.

I think you need to contact the parents and have a sit down conference about the issue if you want to keep the child in care.
Tags:aggressive behavior, shadow
Reply Up