Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Home Improvements or Repairs?
Grape Ape Mom 05:12 PM 02-23-2011
I have a question about claiming deductions for home improvements we made ourselves. Do I deduct all the supplies (bathroom cabinet, light switch plates, floor tile, grout, new molding, light fixtures, etc.) all as part of the home improvement? Or just the floor tile as home improvement and the rest of the things needed to install the tile as repair? What about a mixer and tile cutter he bought for installing the kitchen floor tile? T/S%?
TomCopeland 05:58 PM 02-23-2011
If you are doing a remodeling of a room you must treat all the costs as part of one home improvement, even though some of the individual items would normally be deducted in one year. So, if you just replaced a bathroom light switch plate that would be a repair (1 year deduction). But since this was part of a bigger improvement project it must be depreciated (39 years). So, all of the items you list would be home improvements.

Join me this coming Monday for my webinar "How to Reduce Your Taxes for 2010 and 2011" sponsored by daycare.com. For more info: https://www.daycare.com/news/taxes/t...d-webinar.html
Reply Up