Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Renting or Owning a Home JUST for Daycare...
kendallina 10:12 AM 02-02-2016
I know a few of you rent or own a house just for your daycare (Blackcat, I think you're one)...

Is the house in an otherwise residential neighborhood and what is the process to be able to use it as a commercial business? I'm not talking about licensing-is there a process through the city that you need to go through to get it zoned commercial?
Blackcat31 11:00 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I know a few of you rent or own a house just for your daycare (Blackcat, I think you're one)...

Is the house in an otherwise residential neighborhood and what is the process to be able to use it as a commercial business? I'm not talking about licensing-is there a process through the city that you need to go through to get it zoned commercial?
Yes, I own a completely separate home for my child care business.

The house is located in a residential neighborhood.

I did not have to have any special zoning or permits as my city does not have rules against in-home businesses being operated in residential areas.

I am one of I think 5 child cares that operate out of a completely separate house in a residential neighborhood.

I would have to get a special permit or have my facility rezoned if I wanted to operate commercially.
kendallina 11:21 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, I own a completely separate home for my child care business.

The house is located in a residential neighborhood.

I did not have to have any special zoning or permits as my city does not have rules against in-home businesses being operated in residential areas.

I am one of I think 5 child cares that operate out of a completely separate house in a residential neighborhood.

I would have to get a special permit or have my facility rezoned if I wanted to operate commercially.
So technically, you are still considered in-home (is that per licensing standards?) even though no one lives there?

In my state (Ohio) someone has to live in the house in order to be considered in-home, so I guess I would be considered commercial if I didn't live in my daycare house.
Thriftylady 11:33 AM 02-02-2016
It depends on your state. Here in Ohio if you don't live in the home I don't know what they would classify it as, but it wouldn't be in In-home. That would likely mean it is a center, and may have to be zoned that way. Licensing and the city would have different views of this I am sure. I would call your city or town to find out.
kendallina 11:45 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
It depends on your state. Here in Ohio if you don't live in the home I don't know what they would classify it as, but it wouldn't be in In-home. That would likely mean it is a center, and may have to be zoned that way. Licensing and the city would have different views of this I am sure. I would call your city or town to find out.
Yeh, that's what it sounds like. Ugh...why can't Ohio have an in-home designation without actually living there??
kendallina 11:47 AM 02-02-2016
In all honesty, since I'm pregnant and due in a few weeks, I've had a sub (very good friend of mine and also an early childhood person) working with me and man, it's nice! I would love to open up something on the small-ish side with her. We work beautifully together and it's just so beneficial to have someone around to bounce ideas off of, etc.

5 years of working alone and I'm feeling the itch...
Rockgirl 11:55 AM 02-02-2016
Yeh, that's what it sounds like. Ugh...why can't Ohio have an in-home designation without actually living there??
We are not allowed here, either. The house next door was for sale a couple of years ago....know how tempting that was? Lol
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 02-02-2016
So technically, you are still considered in-home (is that per licensing standards?) even though no one lives there?

In my state (Ohio) someone has to live in the house in order to be considered in-home, so I guess I would be considered commercial if I didn't live in my daycare house.
The only options for licensing here are family care or center care.

The rules for each are different and I opted to remain family care because I didnt want to have to meet some of the requirements for center care.

I don't think my state uses the terminology "in-home" because that (literally) isn't a requirement.

I am licensed like any other provider that provides care IN her home except I do not have to fight with any of my personal space/belongings within the confines of operating my child care. A perk I believe lends itself to a higher safety factor.

Like I said, there are several providers in our community that operate similarly to me. There is even one provider who runs her childcare out of another family's home.

The mom of that family was a teacher who opened her own child care, hired "Sally" to be her assistant and then ended up taking her old teaching job back and left "Sally" to run her childcare but since my state DOES have rules as to how many total days per year the actual licensed provider can be off site, it was in "Sally's" best interest to become the license holder herself.

So she did. Now she runs the child care out of the family's house (the family's youngest ~age 2 actually attends the child care) and the rest of the family is at work all the other days.

Its an odd situation but one that works great for both "Sally" the family itself and for the clients that used the child care prior to and during the transition period of "Sally" becoming the actual license holder.
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 02-02-2016
Another member of our forum used to have a separate home for her child care business too but since her state requires the home to be an actual residence where someone lives she licensed it under another family members name and it worked great for her.

I'd mention her name but don't know if she wants that out there or not. She's still fairly active on the board so maybe she'll chime in and comment on how she managed this.
Unregistered 01:17 PM 02-02-2016
You could "live" there during the week??
Meeko 01:49 PM 02-02-2016
Another member of our forum used to have a separate home for her child care business too but since her state requires the home to be an actual residence where someone lives she licensed it under another family members name and it worked great for her.

I'd mention her name but don't know if she wants that out there or not. She's still fairly active on the board so maybe she'll chime in and comment on how she managed this.
That would be me! We had another home that we used for daycare. Utah requires a provider to live in the home where care is being provided. So our son lived there and was the licensee. He used two of the bedrooms as his living room and bedroom. The rest of the home was all daycare.

However, we changed it all a few years ago and our son moved home and we converted our basement into the daycare. I am still able to "walk away" from work, so it works for us. Two homes was great, but one is cheaper to maintain!
lovemydaycare0912 05:24 PM 02-02-2016
Quick question if you don't mind me chiming in.

Was is the difference between being residentially zoned or commercially zoned? I am in the process of expanding to group home daycare which is the same as family home just licensed for more. I have to look in the regs again, but it may have to be done in a home in a commercial zone. Trying to figure this out before I buy my house which the group home would be run out of?

Sorry to chime in, hope it's okay.
kendallina 06:24 PM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Quick question if you don't mind me chiming in.

Was is the difference between being residentially zoned or commercially zoned? I am in the process of expanding to group home daycare which is the same as family home just licensed for more. I have to look in the regs again, but it may have to be done in a home in a commercial zone. Trying to figure this out before I buy my house which the group home would be run out of?

Sorry to chime in, hope it's okay.
Totally fine to chime in. I have no idea, though. I just kind of thought that if I was running a childcare out of my home then I would have to be zoned commercially...I really don't know? Hopefully someone else can answer...
Blackcat31 06:51 PM 02-02-2016
Totally fine to chime in. I have no idea, though. I just kind of thought that if I was running a childcare out of my home then I would have to be zoned commercially...I really don't know? Hopefully someone else can answer...
Residential means its an area strictly meant for residing.

Commercial usually means business only. No "residing".

I think child care is considered residential because it is most often done/operated within the confines of someones home.

I dont think family daycare has come far enough that everyone automatically defines/recognizes it as a business.
I think it is still considered "glorified babysitting" in many ways.

I assume thats why there aren't any special permits or zoning change requirements for a child care operating out of a house (regardless of whether I actually live here or not) in my county/state.

I suppose if I was a neighborhood problem I might have issues but in all the years Ive been here, no one's ever complained or had issues with us.
As a matter of fact 2 other providers (who live in their homes) are within sight of my yard.
Meeko 07:50 PM 02-02-2016
Residential means its an area strictly meant for residing.

Commercial usually means business only. No "residing".

I think child care is considered residential because it is most often done/operated within the confines of someones home.

I dont think family daycare has come far enough that everyone automatically defines/recognizes it as a business.
I think it is still considered "glorified babysitting" in many ways.

I assume thats why there aren't any special permits or zoning change requirements for a child care operating out of a house (regardless of whether I actually live here or not) in my county/state.

I suppose if I was a neighborhood problem I might have issues but in all the years Ive been here, no one's ever complained or had issues with us.
As a matter of fact 2 other providers (who live in their homes) are within sight of my yard.
Actually where we were before required us to get our zoning changed. We had to have approval for a large in home business. We could either ask every resident in the neighborhood to sign a form or we could post a sign in the front of the house saying when there would a public hearing. We went the hearing route. Nobody showed up and we were approved in two minutes!!!

Our current home doesn't require that at all. Depends on the city (we are the next city south from our previous home.)
DaveA 03:48 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You could "live" there during the week??
Illinois really frowns on people doing that. I know a couple providers nearby lost licenses for doing it. I'm not sure if they pulled the license or just made their lives so miserable they said to heck with it. DCFS's position is if it isn't your actual legal residence you're a center. Sucks because there was a house nearby that was a perfect situation for me.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Actually where we were before required us to get our zoning changed. We had to have approval for a large in home business. We could either ask every resident in the neighborhood to sign a form or we could post a sign in the front of the house saying when there would a public hearing. We went the hearing route. Nobody showed up and we were approved in two minutes!!!

Our current home doesn't require that at all. Depends on the city (we are the next city south from our previous home.)
I knew other areas required neighborhood permission or zoning or county commissioner permission etc but I was just relaying info as pertaining to my area and why I think my state/county has the rules or lack of rules that they do.

I've heard some horror stories about other providers trying to run a child care in a separate home as a FAMILY care but they have had tons of issues with their governing bodies from neighborhoods, cities and counties.... I think Sugar is one that had to jump through TONS of hoops to get licensed in her area.
Sugar Magnolia 10:09 AM 02-03-2016
Yes, there were tons of hoops, lots of jumping. It CAN be done though. OP, I have a lot of advice on the topic of turning a home into a center. PM me if you are interested.
lovemydaycare0912 10:38 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Yes, there were tons of hoops, lots of jumping. It CAN be done though. OP, I have a lot of advice on the topic of turning a home into a center. PM me if you are interested.
Can I pm you too? Not right now, but I may or may not go this route!
thrivingchildcarecom 05:24 PM 02-03-2016
Yeah we can't do this legally in Cali either. It sucks because we can never really escape the child care. We work in it and live in it too.

I know some still find a way to do it and stay under the radar, but honestly my first family arrives at 7:45 am and I just can't even imagine what time I would need to get up to actually go over to another location if I needed to be there before they arrived.
Sugar Magnolia 03:13 AM 02-04-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Can I pm you too? Not right now, but I may or may not go this route!
Absolutely!

In general, as someone mentioned, you must have zoning approval to open a center. Does this mean residential zoning won't work? NO. Almost every municipality has provisions for special permits or "allowable uses". In my case, the home is also an officially dedicated Historic Structure, that helped secure a "Major Conditional Use". I also had to provide site plans that delineate parking, garbage can storage, play yard, fencing, landscape buffers w my neighbors, etc. I had to have a traffic survey done, a neighborhood impact meeting, sign approval, and be approved by historical resourses, planning, zoning and full city commission.
Sound scary? It is. Difficult? Yep. Costly? VERY. Impossible? Not at all!
usry2001 12:41 AM 10-29-2016
Hello ALL. I am currently going through the same ordeal with plannin/zoning, and in the next week will go before city council for approval. I am currently planning as if they will rule in my favor and need assistance with purchasing the house I am interested in as a residence although it will not be my primary residence. The lender has suggested that this is not possible but I am just not sure if he is 100%. ANy help would be appreciated.
Reply Up