Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Veggie Solution

I'm trying something new with vegies, and it worked well today.

I'm not wild about family style--everything seems to get coughed on and left overs aren't always reusable. But I'm not completely wild on eat-what-you-get either.

A while back I read that another provider always offered two vegies (was it BC?) and I thought that sounded like a good idea.

So today, I had four vegie options available and I asked each child which one they wanted, and I served it to them. The result was that they each (except one child) ended up with a full vegie serving that they chose themselves. I had sweet peppers, fresh tomatoes, pinto beans, and all but one child chose a serving of at least one vegie. I could have also gone on to the cucumber and bag of washed spinach.

I'm pleased about it, because I can have the vegies washed and chopped and it's not hard to give each child what they want. I only have 5-7 to serve lunch to, so the numbers don't make it too hard for me.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Two View Post
I'm trying something new with vegies, and it worked well today.

I'm not wild about family style--everything seems to get coughed on and left overs aren't always reusable. But I'm not completely wild on eat-what-you-get either.

A while back I read that another provider always offered two vegies (was it BC?) and I thought that sounded like a good idea.

So today, I had four vegie options available and I asked each child which one they wanted, and I served it to them. The result was that they each (except one child) ended up with a full vegie serving that they chose themselves. I had sweet peppers, fresh tomatoes, pinto beans, and all but one child chose a serving of at least one vegie. I could have also gone on to the cucumber and bag of washed spinach.

I'm pleased about it, because I can have the vegies washed and chopped and it's not hard to give each child what they want. I only have 5-7 to serve lunch to, so the numbers don't make it too hard for me.
Yes, it was me..... I don't normally serve fruit.
I do, just not often and never for lunch.

As for family style and coughing etc... I cover each serving bowl as it's being passed. I also only put a small portion into each bowl/container (sometimes only enough for that one child) and then refill as needed.

We have fresh carrots, pepper strips (red/yellow/orange), cucumbers and celery available daily. With ranch or honey mustard dipping sauces.

That is in addition to the daily "hot" veggies
Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yes, it was me..... I don't normally serve fruit.
I do, just not often and never for lunch.

As for family style and coughing etc... I cover each serving bowl as it's being passed. I also only put a small portion into each bowl/container (sometimes only enough for that one child) and then refill as needed.

We have fresh carrots, pepper strips (red/yellow/orange), cucumbers and celery available daily. With ranch or honey mustard dipping sauces.

That is in addition to the daily "hot" veggies
BC do your kids eat a lot of celery? I have great eaters, they eat almost all I put in front of them. My newest 2 year old isnít too keen on the veggies but everyone else eats like a champ! Celery is the one thing NO ONE will touch. Not even if I serve with peanut butter and raisins.

Tags
vegetables