Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Letting A Family Go After The First Day!

I am sitting here relieved the kids have finally gone to sleep... A new family started today that was referred to me by another client who I adore. The new family has 2 kids ages 4.5 year old girl and 18 month old boy.

I'm so frustrated and angry at myself for not being more diligent before agreeing to care for these children. Now my dkkids are miserable and so am I.

Never have I met a more defiant 4 year old. No structure at all and constantly back talks and is rude to the other kids. She just tears through the house and tried to pull out all the toys in about 5.2 seconds. I had to be very firm when I spoke to her to get her to listen. She is in need of major structure and someone to do school with her. She is so far behind! If I were to keep her on she would be my oldest kids (not counting babies) and the furthest behind. She is starting Kindergarten in the fall and I don't think her parents are aware that it's not going to be good.

I was told at drop off that the 18 mo boy has "seasonal allergies" so he has been sneezing and not feeling great. I suspect they dosed him with Tylenol and sent him to me. He now has a fever of 99.7 and is lethargic. I called mom and she claims she is too busy and won't be able to get him! My policy is 100 or over pick up. I don't understand! I would be johnny on the spot to get my sick baby. Of course I wouldn't have sent them to care to begin with....

When mom comes to pick them up I need to tell her its not going to work out. This is more of a rant than a question. I hate that I put myself and my other dckids in this situation. I'm wondering how honest I should be? or just say "its not a good fit"?
Old 05-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

That's a rough day! I would term based on her not picking up when I called and maybe leave it at that.

I feel like getting into the details of why it's not a good fit gives the perception that the decision to term is open to discussion on the parents part.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

I give you credit to nipping it in the butt now. like this
i say better to take care of it now the later, the parent doesn't seem real respectful of you already so that can only go south.
Id keep it low key but honest to where i had a reason. pointing out that its completely against my rules anyways idk about yours for them to drug and drop their child. The fact that it was suspected and mom didn't have time to come get her child would be enough for me.
Id leave out the rough day for the other one though because its her first day.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

Uhyup, sometimes you just know. All kinds of things wrong with the situation. Wise choice on your part.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

How did it go?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Daycare.com Member

When mom showed up dkg went crazy. Running around the house and screaming knocking the toys off the shelf and jumping on my couch. I physically sat her down and put on her shoes while her mom was saying "please calm down please put your shoes on"! This made it a lot easier to tell mom it wasn't a good fit. Mom said ok is it because of girls behavior?? She already knew.

I just got a text from mom wanting to know why it wasn't a good fit
Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 PM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksanne327 View Post
When mom showed up dkg went crazy. Running around the house and screaming knocking the toys off the shelf and jumping on my couch. I physically sat her down and put on her shoes while her mom was saying "please calm down please put your shoes on"! This made it a lot easier to tell mom it wasn't a good fit. Mom said ok is it because of girls behavior?? She already knew.

I just got a text from mom wanting to know why it wasn't a good fit
She's not a good fit because she needs her own adult for her safety and the safety of the other children and property. You don't have an assistant who you can dedicate solely to her care.

Nothing personal. She just needs her own adult for one to one care.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 PM
starting daycare someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
She's not a good fit because she needs her own adult for her safety and the safety of the other children and property. You don't have an assistant who you can dedicate solely to her care.

Nothing personal. She just needs her own adult for one to one care.

She needs a nanny not a daycare.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

She needs a nanny not a daycare.
Or her own velcro wall.
Who's been taking care of her all this time?? She's definitely an active one!! And how did it work out with the 18 mo? Did he perk up and did dcm explain why she couldn't come to pick him up? His temp may have been under 100 but his lethargy would have had me calling also.

Tags
terminating - trial period