Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default 5 People, 3 of Them Infants, Stabbed in NY Maternity Center

NEWBORNS!!! It sounds like they will all physically recover, but I can't even think about this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/1377475002/

A 3-day-old girl and a 1-month-old girl were stabbed in the abdomen, and a 20-day-old girl suffered cuts to her ear, chin and lip.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

And they think the center is illegal.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

There were 9 kids in an apartment, so I'm thinking it's likely. I don't know the regulations in NYC, but it sounds like there were at least 2 adults there.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Not a lot of things these days surprise me but this one is a real WTF from me.

Why are babies that young already in daycare? I know not everyone can afford maternity leave but THREE DAYS OLD??
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

They found the woman in the basement, having slashed her own wrists. No story as to why or who she is, her relationship to anybody?? I mean wth happened!!! She's got to be awfully sick to have done this, or drugged out. Either way...
Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Who leaves their 3 day old baby?!?!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Overnight, too!

I wonder if she could have been operating like a "nursery" at a hospital and taking babies so new moms can rest overnight?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Nature Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post
Overnight, too!

I wonder if she could have been operating like a "nursery" at a hospital and taking babies so new moms can rest overnight?
One of the articles I read did call it a "Maternity Center" so maybe it is something like this. All the babies were under a month old.
We only get one shot at this!!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have NEVER heard of anything like this. So crazy. I'm glad the babies will be ok.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

Definitely following this story for the details.
This is insane.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
someone who will literally starve if they do not....

my dentist left her 3 week old with me, because her father had died (the other dentist in her practice) and she didn't have back up.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It is actually pretty common in rural areas. Few have vacation days or maternity leave. At will employment states. I did not close for more than 3 days after my own kids were born.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM

"An official briefed on the investigation tells News 4 it was a maternity center. Mothers would go there with their newborns and workers would help take care of the babies. Itís also a place where foreigners could have their babies here and those children would become American citizens." - https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...FlowFB_NYBrand

Anyone?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

I went back to work at 3 days with my second baby. He came with me for 5 weeks until he was able to go to daycare with my oldest.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Childcare Provider

This is sick! We live in a sick world!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
"An official briefed on the investigation tells News 4 it was a maternity center. Mothers would go there with their newborns and workers would help take care of the babies. It’s also a place where foreigners could have their babies here and those children would become American citizens." - https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...FlowFB_NYBrand

Anyone?
Well that doesn't sound like a daycare at all

More like a help center, birthing center, or shelter for homeless moms or moms in need? either way in a previous article the work informal still makes it seem illegal or just too much stuff in one little place.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 AM

The title should be changed. Pretty please.

This was not a home daycare. This was a maternity home. This has nothing to do with daycare. Foreign politics.

It is bad enough the media will keep spinning it that way.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean View Post
Well that doesn't sound like a daycare at all

More like a help center, birthing center, or shelter for homeless moms or moms in need? either way in a previous article the work informal still makes it seem illegal or just too much stuff in one little place.
These mothers give their life savings and risk their health and safety to give birth in places like that in hopes of giving their child the benefit of being an American citizen.

It seems horribly sketchy but I don't really know what I'd be willing to do to ensure a better future for my own kids if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
These mothers give their life savings and risk their health and safety to give birth in places like that in hopes of giving their child the benefit of being an American citizen.

It seems horribly sketchy but I don't really know what I'd be willing to do to ensure a better future for my own kids if the shoe was on the other foot.
This is crazy! Even from the article I thought it didnít sound like an actual daycare. They really know how to spin it to make parents terrified to drop their kids off every day Also who stabbed the children? I guess a person who worked there?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:58 AM

I wonder if it was a neighbor tired of the crying.

Obviously someone mentally unstable.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I wonder if it was a neighbor tired of the crying.

Obviously someone mentally unstable.
It was the woman found in the basement with her wrists slit, she worked in the facility.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 PM

"I wonder if it was a neighbor tired of the crying."

She stabbed her co-worker 8 times in the abdomen, then the father of one of the kids in the thigh, before stabbing babies. The kids parents were staying there, too.

"Authorities say it appears the stabbing spree started with an attack on the adult female. The 31-year-old father who was injured intervened and was stabbed in the leg; then the attack on the children began. Someone called 911. It wasn't clear whether the stabbed father's child was one of the infants stabbed. He, along with the worker stabbed in the torso, are hospitalized in critical but stable condition." -https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Queens-Flushing-Daycare-Center-Stabbing-NYPD-493925451.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand
Old 09-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
The title should be changed. Pretty please.

This was not a home daycare. This was a maternity home. This has nothing to do with daycare. Foreign politics.

It is bad enough the media will keep spinning it that way.

title changed
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks!

When the story was breaking, I think it was believed to be a home daycare. Now I am trying to learn what kind of a business this was! It sounds like many of the parents of the newborns were also present in the apartment.

I've never heard of anything like this before!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

title changed
Every little bit helps. My local news station is still screaming it is a home daycare. They live for stirring that pot.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:48 PM

"A mother of one of the baby girls stabbed tells News 4 she is from Brooklyn but decided to bring her daughter to the facility for her 30-day rest; it costs $4,600 for a monthlong stay, she said. Her daughter was stabbed in the left side of her body but will "thankfully" be OK, the mother told News 4 at a hospital."

Same article was just updated.

A quick google search of 30 day rest produced this: https://www.npr.org/2011/07/20/13853...ays-in-pajamas
Old 09-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

A quick google search of 30 day rest produced this: https://www.npr.org/2011/07/20/13853...ays-in-pajamas

such a different culture.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom View Post

such a different culture.
I am still poking around online to see if other cultures have a version of this. (I only have one newborn this week. 9.5 hours of supervised sleep with a few cuddles, bottles and changes in between per day, my brain is melting. )
Old 09-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Daycare.com Member

I wonder if the 52 year old woman was a mother suffering from PPD. It sounds like she was just a worker though?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
It is actually pretty common in rural areas. Few have vacation days or maternity leave. At will employment states. I did not close for more than 3 days after my own kids were born.
But you were still with your baby right?
I personally could not leave my baby that young. When i had my first child, I made sure i had enough money to take off 3 months. My last pregnancy I am thankful to be a daycare provider the best part of this job is being able to be with your kids! Work will never come before my child. Plus women need those 6 weeks to heal. But thats ME personally. Different strokes for different folks :-P
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
someone who will literally starve if they do not....
Twice in my career I have taken a very young newborn.

Once my nephew...(3 weeks old) and the other a 3 day old who's mom had NO choice but to get back to work.

Both times I had to have special approval from licensing and couldn't have other children in care under 12 months at the same time.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Not with my first. I went back to work on day 3. I worked 3rd shift, ExH worked 1st we swapped out in the parking lot. We were 18-year-old high school graduates, homeowners and factory workers barely making ends meet. A dime a dozen down here.

Home daycare allowed me to do better by my next two.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
it can be the owner kid.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I personally could not leave my baby that young. When i had my first child, I made sure i had enough money to take off 3 months. My last pregnancy I am thankful to be a daycare provider the best part of this job is being able to be with your kids! Work will never come before my child. Plus women need those 6 weeks to heal. But thats ME personally. Different strokes for different folks :-P

Work isn't coming before your child. Work is how you feed your child.

I have been that poor. Job loss of a spouse during my pregnancy made me that poor. I'll NEVER look down on anyone for having to make that choice....in fact..I look down on society for forcing that choice. We are the last developed country without decent paid maternity leave.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

My children were very young when I went back to work. I definitely never felt like I needed more than a few days to recover from child birth.

But that's just me. I was lucky, I was able to take my newborn to work with me for a little while.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Work isn't coming before your child. Work is how you feed your child.

I have been that poor. Job loss of a spouse during my pregnancy made me that poor. I'll NEVER look down on anyone for having to make that choice....in fact..I look down on society for forcing that choice. We are the last developed country without decent paid maternity leave.
I hear you.

We worked hard, planned and struggled but were proud we did it on our own. Without subsidy of any kind. It was a surprise pregnancy but we did have 9 months to plan to do the best we could. We had both worked since 15 and had $7000 saved between us for the down payment on the house. I was also in trade school, luckily I was able to take my little one with me to class. Not sure many do that any more.

Tags
citizenship, maternity center, politics