Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Smokers
MsKara 12:16 PM 06-18-2010
I used to be a smoker and now I have a condition called vasomotor rhinitis. For those that dont know it's a condition much like allergic rhinitis but is often caused by being a previous smoker. I've quit now for over 6 years. I can't be around smoke at all or I get headaches and clogged up nose and post nasal drip. Anyway, I started having a sibling group come and I didn't think the parent's were smokers. They seemed very clean and didn't smell during the interview. They started yesterday and their clothes and their bedding smell like smoke. My nose is inflamed, i've had a constant headache and I keep sneezing. I want to let this family go peacefully. How should I do this??? I'm so worried about pissing them off. Their 3 year old son told me they smoke in the house, so I don't think I want to try and remedy this by always washing their sheets and changing their clothes. I just want to feel well again and not have to smell it constantly.
tmcp2001 12:32 PM 06-18-2010
I think you should just be honest with them about your condition (maybe print up something for them about it?) and let them know that the smell of smoke on their children's clothes and belongings is causing it to act up - then let them know that this will continue to be a problem for you and tell them you need to terminate. It may be slightly embarassing for them but hey, it's your home they are bringing their children into!

Icky conversation to have but maybe it will do some good and get them to quit smoking around their kids! Good luck!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 12:45 PM 06-18-2010
I wouldnt worry about it, the embarrassing them part of it. Just tell them, at the interview you didnt notice that they smoked, because of your medical condition you are sensitive to it. But that since they started coming you are ill and have to term them,.. unless they are willing to quit smoking of course. They should be ashamed of smoking around their children!
originalkat 01:42 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
I think you should just be honest with them about your condition (maybe print up something for them about it?) and let them know that the smell of smoke on their children's clothes and belongings is causing it to act up - then let them know that this will continue to be a problem for you and tell them you need to terminate. It may be slightly embarassing for them but hey, it's your home they are bringing their children into!

Icky conversation to have but maybe it will do some good and get them to quit smoking around their kids! Good luck!
I agree. Not a fun conversation, but it has to be done.
misol 07:29 PM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by tmcp2001:

Good advice.

In the interview I ask if anyone in the household smokes and I also ask if they have pets. I grew up with severe allergies and asthma that were triggered by smoke and pet dander. I spent the better of 20 years on maintenance medications to manage both. I stopped medicating myself about 5 years ago and do my best to avoid my triggers. It has worked wonders and I rarely ever have attacks now.

Please do not risk your own health by keeping this family around! Don't feel bad for the parents - feel bad for the kids! The smell of cigarette smoke is way too overwhelming to try to ignore. And don't let them try to tell you that Febreeze works for cigarette smoke - it doesn't!
Tags:smokers
Reply Up