Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Tell Great DCP You Can't Provide Care Much Longer
Unregistered 07:06 PM 10-15-2013
I have had this great family since the oldest was 8 months old, she is now 2.5 years old and they had another baby last Sept and I have her also (13mths). They are expecting another baby in Mar. The problem is they are 2 random days a week. I understand they need a flexible DC because of their jobs (dads a EMT and mom is a police detective) having two kids come randomly twice a week has been hard enough, there is no way I can have 3 kids from the same family on that schedule. I have had to turn away a lot of possible FT clients due to their hectic schedule. This is sooo stressing me out .. Any help and ideas would be GREAT! Thanks
daycarediva 07:13 PM 10-15-2013
I would just tell them what you said. That you honestly hate to see them go, but they either need to pay for a FT spot for each kid, or you have to replace them. That would be HALF my income for 3 kids, I couldn't/wouldn't do it either, no matter how much I loved the family.

I charge a higher daily rate for part time kids than I do for FT. Even so, it would be very hard to find someone to fit into a varied schedule. I might consider keeping them if THEY could be flexible on their scheduling for you to be able to arrange a couple of PT clients (like a MWF T/TH thing).
daycare 07:18 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have had this great family since the oldest was 8 months old, she is now 2.5 years old and they had another baby last Sept and I have her also (13mths). They are expecting another baby in Mar. The problem is they are 2 random days a week. I understand they need a flexible DC because of their jobs (dads a EMT and mom is a police detective) having two kids come randomly twice a week has been hard enough, there is no way I can have 3 kids from the same family on that schedule. I have had to turn away a lot of possible FT clients due to their hectic schedule. This is sooo stressing me out .. Any help and ideas would be GREAT! Thanks
Would you keep this family if they could commit to a more routine schedule? Have you told them that this is a problem for you??? I ask this, because maybe they are able to comply with a schedule that is more ideal. I would talk to them first and if you already have spoken with them, then I would be sending this to them asap

I would just keep it short sweet and simple..

Dear DCP I have truly enjoyed providing care for your children sue and joe. As much as it pains me to have to tell you, I have come to the decision that I will no longer be able to provide care for your children. Their last day will be x/x/xxx.
It has truly been great working with your family, below is the number for the resource and refferral dept. I wish you and your family the best of luck.....
Crazy8 06:20 AM 10-16-2013
I agree with talking to them about the schedule - they may be willing to pay for a set number of days to keep the kids with you. Can't hurt to ask! If they can't then you just let them know that their schedule does not work for you and you will have to let them go.
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 10-16-2013
I agree with the idea of modifying their schedule verses just terming them.

Why not tell them that you can no longer financially afford to allow such a random schedule and that they need to commit to a set number of days.

My rules are 3 days a week minimum.

If the days are the same days each week such as M,W,F then I bill $120
If the days are random and change each then the rate is $140 which slightly higher to compensate for them having access to the full week but a little less than my full time rate since they only use 3 of the 5 days available.

I'd offer them something like that first. If they decline, then you will have to let them know that you will need to term in order to take a full time family.
Shell 06:34 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would just tell them what you said. That you honestly hate to see them go, but they either need to pay for a FT spot for each kid, or you have to replace them. That would be HALF my income for 3 kids, I couldn't/wouldn't do it either, no matter how much I loved the family.

I charge a higher daily rate for part time kids than I do for FT. Even so, it would be very hard to find someone to fit into a varied schedule. I might consider keeping them if THEY could be flexible on their scheduling for you to be able to arrange a couple of PT clients (like a MWF T/TH thing).
This is a business, and sometimes we have to think with our heads and not our hearts. I had a situation much like this, and as soon as I wasn't able to give them free range with their schedule, they left. Wish I had done it sooner, as I missed out on a lot of money and Dc kids!
Unregistered 08:49 AM 10-16-2013
They can't commit to set days due to their work schedules. They come 2 days every week but always different days so I can't even find a part time family to come opposite of them. I guess I have to suck it up and talk to them. Now do I do it right now or do I wait until when it's closer to them having the baby( mom takes off 3 months ) but will still send the two girls 2 random days ....
daycare 09:04 AM 10-16-2013
They can't commit to set days due to their work schedules. They come 2 days every week but always different days so I can't even find a part time family to come opposite of them. I guess I have to suck it up and talk to them. Now do I do it right now or do I wait until when it's closer to them having the baby( mom takes off 3 months ) but will still send the two girls 2 random days ....
I would do it now. I would talk to them and let them know now. I would then start placing ads and put your name out there. I would tell them exactly what Blackcat said.
Why not tell them that you can no longer financially afford to allow such a random schedule and that they need to commit to a set number of days.

I am pretty sure that they will have a very hard time finding someone to take their schedule.

We have a lot of fire friends and friends in the medical indy. They all have similar rotating schedules. They inquire about my childcare and I tell them the days are set days for pay. They pay for the days they need if they use them or not.

So if they want to come tue wed one week and tue friday next week, then I would require them to pay for a full time spot. If they come 3 days, but use only two at a time each week, then they need to pay for 3.

hope this helps
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 10-16-2013
Personally, I'd address it now but you then have to prepare for mom to pull if she finds alternate care that does work with her schedule

Like I said, I would present them with a 3 day min. and since the days are random, give them a rate slightly lower than your full time rate (but more than what they are paying now) and let them decide.

Maybe they ARE willing to pay for a full week since they know their schedules aren't regular...kwim?
TheGoodLife 09:05 AM 10-16-2013
I personally would start advertising/ interviewing now and explain that you are sorry but you just can't afford to keep DCKs on a part-time basis when it is a changing schedule and you can't make up the income with others. If you get another person, give notice or be ready for them to term if they find somewhere that can take them. I wouldn't keep them and continue to lose potential income of other regular PT of FT families if I knew it wouldn't work out in the end anyway, KWIM? Unless of course you are having a lot of difficulty finding new clients, then I might wait a while.
Maria2013 09:12 AM 10-16-2013
I would explain my position then see if together we can come up with a solution in my case 3 kids 2 days would never work but if you are willing ask for at least a fixed schedule
TwinKristi 09:24 AM 10-16-2013
I would definitely TRY to figure something out. They have to understand that it's taking (not sure on your state regs) but 2 infant spots when she returns. I only have two so that just wouldn't work unless I didn't have any other infants. Also, it it could work out until you find someone else to fill those spots I would offer that as well. I don't know how many kids you have now and how often you're turning people away (which to me is silly since 1 FT kid let alone more than 1 can still be more than 2 PT kids) I would rather take the stance of not being able to fill those spots FT due to their schedule and either you need more money to compensate for the loss or they need to find another provider when they return to work with the baby. They may be willing to pay you more to keep the kids together and with you which would be a bonus. I recently told an interviewing mom with a similar schedule situation that I would need a commitment of 2 days at a higher rate ($15 more per day) to make up for the loss. She's a NP and has a rotating schedule every 6wks so it would always change and I could never plan around it. For me, I would just take the extra kid that day and not consider her in my regular numbers for potentially 1 day a week. But 3 kids, 2 being infants, would not work.
Unregistered 10:36 AM 10-16-2013
Thanks guys! I took them almost two years ago because it was just the one 8 month old at the time and after 2 months of her attending they told me they were expecting another and I was really low so it wasn't too much of a big deal. But now I have a waiting list and people offering to pay for full weeks even if they only use 2 or 3 days. Which having this family makes it impossible for me to take anyone else. I think I'm going to talk to mom and dad next week when they drop off and let them know my situation and explain that I can't have 3 random day kids because it's taking up all the spaces for full time income. They are really great people and I'm hoping they will understand. I think I'm going to tell them they can continue coming until the end of the year so they can find other arrangements for the new year. I hope it goes well!
Tags:notice of closure
Reply Up