Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rock and Hard Place
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 09:27 AM 10-20-2015
Eeeeek I've done it again. I applied for an office manager position and never really expected to hear from them. Well they called me twice this morning. I called back and found out it was for a position that I happen to absolutely love. Surgical coordinator for a very large orthopedic practice. She asked me how much I would be looking for salary wise and I told her no less than 18$ an hour knowing that right now I bring in about 2800 a month. She said that is something that they could handle. Now that I sit and think about it I'm stuck.

If I stop doing daycare then I won't be able to homeschool my son. I would have to find someone to get my youngest on and off the bus. I finally have decent parents with one still and always will be a pain in my ass, but I can handle her kids so that is an even trade I guess.

But taking the position would force me out the house and get my mind off another baby. I would be able to go do stuff with my kids schools and not feel like I can't disappoint my clients. My house would be clean and not a always destroyed.

Then more positives I'm home in bad weather and summer.

Why does this have to be soooooooo hard.
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
Eeeeek I've done it again. I applied for an office manager position and never really expected to hear from them. Well they called me twice this morning. I called back and found out it was for a position that I happen to absolutely love. Surgical coordinator for a very large orthopedic practice. She asked me how much I would be looking for salary wise and I told her no less than 18$ an hour knowing that right now I bring in about 2800 a month. She said that is something that they could handle. Now that I sit and think about it I'm stuck.

If I stop doing daycare then I won't be able to homeschool my son. I would have to find someone to get my youngest on and off the bus. I finally have decent parents with one still and always will be a pain in my ass, but I can handle her kids so that is an even trade I guess.

But taking the position would force me out the house and get my mind off another baby. I would be able to go do stuff with my kids schools and not feel like I can't disappoint my clients. My house would be clean and not a always destroyed.

Then more positives I'm home in bad weather and summer.

Why does this have to be soooooooo hard.
Because everything in life that is worthwhile is never easy

When faced with these types of situations, I make lists.

Lists for pro/cons of BOTH options. If my decision affects more than just me, I have those people make their own lists so we can talk it over together.

As for homeschooling, isn't that something you can do any time...like after work? I don't homeschool and am not familiar with it too much but my thinking is it shouldn't matter when/what time of day your DS is being homeschooled, just that he is.... so would alternate hours work?

I have a DCM that is in college. Her homeschooled child attends my child care and they homeschool after DCM's school.
LysesKids 10:06 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Lists for pro/cons of BOTH options. If my decision affects more than just me, I have those people make their own lists so we can talk it over together.

As for homeschooling, isn't that something you can do any time...like after work? I don't homeschool and am not familiar with it too much but my thinking is it shouldn't matter when/what time of day your DS is being homeschooled, just that he is.... so would alternate hours work?

I have a DCM that is in college. Her homeschooled child attends my child care and they homeschool after DCM's school.
Homeschooling rules vary by state... some are very strict in how many hours you HAVE to log, some you don't even have to register with the state, just start (in my dd's case I officially withdrew from school); some states also make it a pain to find childcare during day for older children because most daycare homes aren't set up for a school age except before & after unless you find another homeschool family - love that you take SA, but around here it would be a tough sell.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 10:24 AM 10-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am such a pro/con list maker.

I really love my daycare kids.

The only issue is that my son would be home alone until my husband or I got home. In this state we don't have a set age that kids can be left alone it is pretty much based on a lot of different things like their ability to handle emergency situations. How far parents work and ability to get home in an emergency. This position is less than a mile from the house. I certainly could still homeschool him after work.

My husband and I are gonna talk about the pros and cons this evening and see where this could land our family.
laundrymom 10:32 AM 10-20-2015
I'm a faith based decision maker. I would make the lists, but pray and wait and pray some more. I typically feel led one way or the other when I do this. Just the way I handle big decisions here. Don't forget that your stir crazy emotions will be super low,.... But if you work with someone you don't like you could suffer from that as well. I don't envy you. That's for sure. It seems like a really hard decision.
Snowmom 11:01 AM 10-20-2015
Just an idea:
Ask around in your homeschooling groups to see if there are other families in the area who homeschool groups of children.
Sometimes homeschooling families take on multiple children to do their school work together.
You could offer to pay for their time, or split shifts.
finsup 11:10 AM 10-20-2015
Homeschooling is a big one for us. If a job offer put me in a position where I couldn't do that, then it would mean having to pass on that job. With big descions my husband and I disucss and pray about them frequently. I always try to think of what's the best option long term? What would benefit the family the most? Are the things I want to change something that could be done in another way? Would this brings closer to the Lord? Are we focusing too much on what we (or I) want instead of Him? Not always easy questions to answer!
Annalee 11:17 AM 10-20-2015
The only reason I have not contemplated another job is I can't make what I make now and I can't have my own work schedule. That being said, today I question why I still work in family child care.

Follow your heart!
Reply Up