Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Guardian Ad Litem in Daycare
NeedaVaca 11:19 AM 11-12-2015
This is a new one for me, anyone ever have a guardian ad litem come to your daycare? To be honest, I'm not thrilled about this. I signed on a family going through a divorce just a few months ago. I made it clear that I did not want to be involved in disputes or he said/she said etc...

I have actually considered terming due to their communication issues that in turn effect my daycare. The kids are fine, no problems at all but the parents have sure shown me I have a great backbone It's little things here and there and slowly but surely it's making me rethink continuing care...

Does anyone have experience with this? What should I expect? Any issues that can arise from it? I guess I'm just a little confused as to why I need to be involved at all, I have only known them for a short time, I see no neglect, etc. Aside from not wanting to be involved it will disrupt my routine and the kids will be out of sorts with a stranger in my home.
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
This is a new one for me, anyone ever have a guardian ad litem come to your daycare? To be honest, I'm not thrilled about this. I signed on a family going through a divorce just a few months ago. I made it clear that I did not want to be involved in disputes or he said/she said etc...

I have actually considered terming due to their communication issues that in turn effect my daycare. The kids are fine, no problems at all but the parents have sure shown me I have a great backbone It's little things here and there and slowly but surely it's making me rethink continuing care...

Does anyone have experience with this? What should I expect? Any issues that can arise from it? I guess I'm just a little confused as to why I need to be involved at all, I have only known them for a short time, I see no neglect, etc. Aside from not wanting to be involved it will disrupt my routine and the kids will be out of sorts with a stranger in my home.
I have had a Guardian Ad Litem at daycare before.

You are correct, there is no reason you need to be involved when you know very little about anything outside of daycare.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have simply called the person (the Guardian Ad Litem) and told them that I know nothing. I had no issues relating to child care and did not care to give any other statements.

I was told that any statements I made in regards to their parenting, even if it was my opinion later could lead to me needing to testify in court as to why I felt that way and I was not about to get into having to go to court for something I really knew nothing about.

Like you said, if you had anything to be concerned about you would have reported it per mandated reporting rules.

If you can't get out of it, I'd allow them to come but I would say when and for how long. Then I would only answer whatever questions they had in regards to daycare.

The good news is a Guardian Ad Litem is not on the either parents side and is usually assigned to work in the bet interests of the children.

Perhaps you can suggest he/she call you instead of visit given the privacy needs of the other families in care.
Thriftylady 12:36 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have had a Guardian Ad Litem at daycare before.

You are correct, there is no reason you need to be involved when you know very little about anything outside of daycare.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have simply called the person (the Guardian Ad Litem) and told them that I know nothing. I had no issues relating to child care and did not care to give any other statements.

I was told that any statements I made in regards to their parenting, even if it was my opinion later could lead to me needing to testify in court as to why I felt that way and I was not about to get into having to go to court for something I really knew nothing about.

Like you said, if you had anything to be concerned about you would have reported it per mandated reporting rules.

If you can't get out of it, I'd allow them to come but I would say when and for how long. Then I would only answer whatever questions they had in regards to daycare.

The good news is a Guardian Ad Litem is not on the either parents side and is usually assigned to work in the bet interests of the children.

Perhaps you can suggest he/she call you instead of visit given the privacy needs of the other families in care.
This!
nannyde 12:55 PM 11-12-2015
No way. I would tell them I don't want to be involved in any way. I don't want to give, get, or have to testify any information about the kids.

Most likely they want the guardian to visit the kids without parents present and the easiest thing for them is to come to your house. It's free. They don't have to pay a social worker to supervise the kids while he or she is doing their assessment.
NeedaVaca 01:19 PM 11-12-2015
Thanks! I appreciate the input. Phew...I posted in a facebook group and couldn't believe the backlash I got These responses make me feel better!
Thriftylady 02:44 PM 11-12-2015
Thanks! I appreciate the input. Phew...I posted in a facebook group and couldn't believe the backlash I got These responses make me feel better!
Seems that some providers will let anyone in their house. To me it seems the more people I let in the more issues I am opening myself up to. Heck some days I am not sure if I want to let my own family in.
NeedaVaca 04:34 PM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Seems that some providers will let anyone in their house. To me it seems the more people I let in the more issues I am opening myself up to. Heck some days I am not sure if I want to let my own family in.
I know..it's not even completely about that but more the involvement in their personal business. People were saying really mean things, I was shocked! I almost didn't post here but wanted a second opinion lol

There were people telling me I have no feelings, I should be there for the kids, I'm in the wrong business and I don't care about the family and if I don't do this I'm not an equal opportunity daycare...I was like WHAT?? For me this is a business and I provide quality care for these kids. The fact that the parents are going through a divorce should not effect my program! I'm not a cold hearted B ya know? Just this morning the mom started crying so of course I hugged her but jeez, then both the kids were freaking out and crying...ugghh.
Feeling a little frustrated at this point and I just want to keep to my routine and keep things normal for the kids...
284878 05:30 AM 11-13-2015
I am feeling bad for these kids, for them to need a Gaurdian Ad litem to find what is in there best interest, must be a exterminely ugly divorce.
When we were doing foster care we had two different GAI visit. They would call a day or so before court and ask to come visit. They do want to foster care environment and meet the sometimes current parents. They will however also meet with the kids at the agency during consuler or after visits. They come in and introduce themself, then speak to the kids separte then together. I always stayed within earshot but out of the room, however dh would sometimes be cooking dinner in the same room. At court, they would tell the judge what is in the best interest of the kids, if the kids were doing good in the current home, school ect.....
We would not hear from them again til the next court date. I was told, that it was ok if they did not always meet with the kids.
They never asked us questions about the bio parents, just how the kids were adjusting to the move in. We never testified.

Would I have a GAI come to day care? I don't know. But if foster kids were in my day care and need to see there GAI (depending on the circumstances) I would but I would also invite another adult over to assist me on that day.
Play Care 09:26 AM 11-13-2015
One of the reasons I stopped going on provider Facebook pages was because with the public profiles (even if your page is private it still shows your name and pic) a lot of providers become SUPER PROVIDER on those sites.

And I can't say I blame them, I tend to be more careful when my "real" name is out there

As for the visit itself- are they coming to observe/talk to the kids? If that's the case I guess I don't see why I wouldn't. I would set up a spot out of the way and let them do what they have to do. I think we as in home providers tend to get funny about people coming in to our program and while I know the reasons to others it just looks shady or as though we have something to hide

That said, if they wanted to come to interview ME etc then I would take the "I only know what happens here and the kids have been great," route.
childcaremom 09:32 AM 11-13-2015

Let me preface this by saying that I have no personal experience with this.

But it is your program and I don't think you are obligated to do anything. I would not be open to having another adult in the house, either, fwiw.

This is NOT part of my job description.
Reply Up